Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

overweight for meds-experiences please

overweight for meds-experiences please

Old Oct 24th 2004, 5:31 am
Forum Regular

Cuddles is on a distinguished road
Default Re: overweight for meds-experiences please

No not much pain, no more than anyone else really. I will speak to my gp about the drug. I know she mentioned one before but she said I may get bad mood swings and being as I dont suffer with this she wasnt sure it was the best thing.

We had the meds with weight but not polycystic ovaries and it wasnt a problem. Good luck. pm me and let me know how you go.

Lin
Originally Posted by scanny
Thanks for that, sorry about your problem - much pain? Must be difficult looking after all the littlies. Often don't get much sympathy with unseeable illnesses eh and of course it's a womans complaint!! Hope you've got some support. Never give up hope-knew a girl who was given a drug ? metformin usually given for diabetics to help with sugar control-has some action with polycystic ovaries not sure how but it helped her lose weight never got really skinny but certainly lost. Ask your gynae DR, did you get your meds passed wasn't sure if you meant not much hope for weight loss or passing meds?
Scanny
Old Oct 24th 2004, 8:39 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: overweight for meds-experiences please

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Hi Scanny

Believe it or not, this is probably the question people on this forum ask most often about the meds.

I was worried sick that I'd fail my med, as I'd been taking steroids (for asthma) for 12 years, resulting in a huge & virtually impossible to shift weight gain. I managed to lose some of it for the med, but the doc didn't seem worried (though I got graded 'B' for my asthma - and still passed!).
Funniliy enough, she was more concerned about my very skinny hubby - grilled him along the lines of 'have you always been this thin?' which we both thought was very funny.

I took a letter from my Doc about the asthma - saying it was well under control etc. You may want to do this for your thyroid - it may add to the overall 'comfort factor' for the examining doc.

I'm sure one of the docs told me at the time that they would only be concerned about weight if someone is BMI of 35 and over and has other risk factors such as raised blood pressure, sugar traces in urine, comes from a family of diabetics etc.

There is a BMI calculator at: http://www.halls.md/body-mass-index/bmi.htm

Very best of luck with the med. - I'm sure you'll be fine!

Anya.
Anya,

The link you mentioned for BMI was very useful - thanks. I am also in the same boat, worrying about the BMI aspect of the medical. My hubby has a BMI of 34 & I have a BMI of 36. We are both on the Weight Watchers Eating Plan and have & are still losing weight. Do you think this will effect the outcome of our medicals?