Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

overweight for meds-experiences please

overweight for meds-experiences please

Old Oct 23rd 2004, 8:45 am
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: overweight for meds-experiences please

Originally Posted by wombat42
We don't want any fat Sheila's immigrating to OZ, only the good looking ones need apply.
And what is wrong with these fine Sheilas then??? Fine bevvy of fillies if ever I saw........

D D
Attached Images  
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 8:47 am
SCANNY

scanny is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream
And what is wrong with these fine Sheilas then??? Fine bevvy of fillies if ever I saw........

D D
I think thats me in the green cossie :scared: Scanny
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 8:47 am
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

D D
And, of course, in the art of fair play... does that go for Bruce's as well?

D D
Attached Images  
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 8:49 am
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

Originally Posted by scanny
I think thats me in the green cossie :scared: Scanny
Bless. That's me second right so you're in good company

D D
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

Cuddles is on a distinguished road

Hi Scanny, Im in the same position as you but have had the medicals done. I also have an underactive thyroid and have big weight problem. Have just had my fourth child and just cannot lose the weight. Have also been told now I have polycystic overies so I have very little hope really. I was also worried about the weight causing problems in the Medical, but the same as everyone else, no one really seemed to mention it so you should be absolutely fine. Hope all goes well.

Lin

Does anyone have any experience with the weight issue at the medicals-Ive seen some brief mentions. As everything has happened so quickly with my decision to go to oz I won't have much time to loose sufficiant (3.5 stone over ideal weight). Have underactive thyroid not an excuse as being treated but weight has been stable for over a year . Actually eat very healthy veg salad, organic when can afford-try to avoid wheat products, high carbs (not Atkins as was on it 6 weeks and thyroid packed up-DR said coincidental not linked?) Problem is don't do much exercise, ok in summer but hate winter and hybernate indoors-one of the reasons for going to oz. Have lost weight b4, 4 stone and kept it off 3 years until after last baby (opps 8yrs old now) When I went for medical to do nurse training (1997) was told that I was more than 20% over my ideal weight, should have been 8.4-8.12lbs but was 10.4. Explained baby was only 7 months old and had only stopped breast feeding 2 weeks, so got away with it. Unfortunately all that sitting around in Uni, assignments, canteen food and shift work meant all my good habits went out of the window. That and my ever growing lack of willpower. If it is a big issue what do they recommend? Surely if I'm capable of doing job effectively now at the weight I am they should take that into consideration? Thanks in anticipation Scanny.
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 8:57 am
SCANNY

And, of course, in the art of fair play... does that go for Bruce's as well?

D D
They'd be good on a barbie, mmm bit of a well balanced Atkins diet eh-ratio of protien to fat spot on. Scanny
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 9:11 am
SCANNY

Originally Posted by dave and linda
Hi Scanny, Im in the same position as you but have had the medicals done. I also have an underactive thyroid and have big weight problem. Have just had my fourth child and just cannot lose the weight. Have also been told now I have polycystic overies so I have very little hope really. I was also worried about the weight causing problems in the Medical, but the same as everyone else, no one really seemed to mention it so you should be absolutely fine. Hope all goes well.

Lin
Thanks for that, sorry about your problem - much pain? Must be difficult looking after all the littlies. Often don't get much sympathy with unseeable illnesses eh and of course it's a womans complaint!! Hope you've got some support. Never give up hope-knew a girl who was given a drug ? metformin usually given for diabetics to help with sugar control-has some action with polycystic ovaries not sure how but it helped her lose weight never got really skinny but certainly lost. Ask your gynae DR, did you get your meds passed wasn't sure if you meant not much hope for weight loss or passing meds?
Scanny
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 10:56 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Does anyone have any experience with the weight issue at the medicals-Ive seen some brief mentions. As everything has happened so quickly with my decision to go to oz I won't have much time to loose sufficiant (3.5 stone over ideal weight). Have underactive thyroid not an excuse as being treated but weight has been stable for over a year . Actually eat very healthy veg salad, organic when can afford-try to avoid wheat products, high carbs (not Atkins as was on it 6 weeks and thyroid packed up-DR said coincidental not linked?) Problem is don't do much exercise, ok in summer but hate winter and hybernate indoors-one of the reasons for going to oz. Have lost weight b4, 4 stone and kept it off 3 years until after last baby (opps 8yrs old now) When I went for medical to do nurse training (1997) was told that I was more than 20% over my ideal weight, should have been 8.4-8.12lbs but was 10.4. Explained baby was only 7 months old and had only stopped breast feeding 2 weeks, so got away with it. Unfortunately all that sitting around in Uni, assignments, canteen food and shift work meant all my good habits went out of the window. That and my ever growing lack of willpower. If it is a big issue what do they recommend? Surely if I'm capable of doing job effectively now at the weight I am they should take that into consideration? Thanks in anticipation Scanny.
Hi Scanny

Believe it or not, this is probably the question people on this forum ask most often about the meds.

I was worried sick that I'd fail my med, as I'd been taking steroids (for asthma) for 12 years, resulting in a huge & virtually impossible to shift weight gain. I managed to lose some of it for the med, but the doc didn't seem worried (though I got graded 'B' for my asthma - and still passed!).
Funniliy enough, she was more concerned about my very skinny hubby - grilled him along the lines of 'have you always been this thin?' which we both thought was very funny.

I took a letter from my Doc about the asthma - saying it was well under control etc. You may want to do this for your thyroid - it may add to the overall 'comfort factor' for the examining doc.

I'm sure one of the docs told me at the time that they would only be concerned about weight if someone is BMI of 35 and over and has other risk factors such as raised blood pressure, sugar traces in urine, comes from a family of diabetics etc.

There is a BMI calculator at: http://www.halls.md/body-mass-index/bmi.htm

Very best of luck with the med. - I'm sure you'll be fine!

Anya.
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Hi

I would not worry about this at all I should be a BMI of 27 and I am a 29 (1 1/2 stone more) did'nt even think about this when i went to med's , The whole BMI thing is stupid as i think it was set in the early 1900's (1930 I think) they should of up'd it as soon as "Burger King" opend ( or and good fast food place)

Good luck with med's

Tabby
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 3:49 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tabby
Hi

I would not worry about this at all I should be a BMI of 27 and I am a 29 (1 1/2 stone more) did'nt even think about this when i went to med's , The whole BMI thing is stupid as i think it was set in the early 1900's (1930 I think) they should of up'd it as soon as "Burger King" opend ( or and good fast food place)

Good luck with med's

Tabby
Yes - I think you will find that, technically, the BMIs of the entire England rugby team rate them as being obese....!

BMI seems like a rather blunt instrument for assessing whether or not weight is a problem or not, as it doesn't take account of fat vs muscle, where the fat is on the person's body (a mass of fat round the middle is far more medically dodgy than if it's spread over the body) and overall fitness.

Cheers,
Anya.
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 6:47 pm
wombat42

D D
The Plane to OZ would'nt be able to get off the ground with them aboard,
they would have to be ditched into the ocean to save the plane.

Old Oct 23rd 2004, 6:58 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Scanny,
As you have been reading on the Thin Within thread, I have lost quite a lot of weight. According to the BMI I'm still over weight but if I was pinched with the calipers instead, I would be about right. Get yourself a copy of You Are What You Eat, even if you don't go the whole hog there are some really great eating tips. It's definitely worth reading, you'll be amazed at how few changes in your diet you need to make to lose weight. PM or e-mail me if you want to chat further.
Sarah xxx
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 7:11 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by teach
Hi Scanny,
As you have been reading on the Thin Within thread, I have lost quite a lot of weight. According to the BMI I'm still over weight but if I was pinched with the calipers instead, I would be about right. Get yourself a copy of You Are What You Eat, even if you don't go the whole hog there are some really great eating tips. It's definitely worth reading, you'll be amazed at how few changes in your diet you need to make to lose weight. PM or e-mail me if you want to chat further.
Sarah xxx

That programme started in Aus three weeks ago - seems to have the same 'UGH & WOW!' factor to the Aussies as it did in the UK

I'm not (any longer) considered overweight and have found the YAWYE book a really interesting read regardless. It also has useful suggestions on eating properly to cure things like headaches, eczema, PMS, IBS, backache as well as induce weightloss
Old Oct 24th 2004, 3:48 am
SCANNY

Originally Posted by teach
Hi Scanny,
Sarah xxx
Will Email or pm later on in the week-got to get some housework done this wkend place is a tip-had a busy week, 3 night shifts, trip to manchester for interview. Still it might burn afew calories-if only I could resist this vodka ice in my hands! Thanks Scanny
Old Oct 24th 2004, 4:01 am
SCANNY

Originally Posted by wombat42
The Plane to OZ would'nt be able to get off the ground with them aboard,
they would have to be ditched into the ocean to save the plane.
We'd have all been a great resource if the plane crashed in a remote area though. You'd have been eyeing us up and stuffing apples in our mouth. Although some people may see us as human beings with feelings and spared us. Maybe they'd be on a low fat diet. Heres hoping you just have a dry sense of humour and aren't really being horrible to fatties

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.