Cat in Brisbane

Old Jul 27th 2010, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice
Default Cat in Brisbane

Hi

in order to prepare myself....

We are going to live in Brisbane for 3 years..

Is it sensible to ship my lovely cat out.... She isnt a big outdoor cat ( but would hate being inside the whole time). She rarely kills things and doesnt eat her victims.

Thank for advice
Old Jul 27th 2010, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cat in Brisbane

Are you living there only for the three years? If so I'm guessing you will probably be in rental accomodation, which isn't easy to get with pets. If the answer to both the above is yes, then I wouldn't ship her out here if you have someone who can care for her until you get back. Expensive too, shipping cats to and fro - I've done it twice!
Old Jul 27th 2010, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice

Thanks

unfortunately I havnt found anybody who will 'mind' her.... I have a friend who may have her...but then I cant really ask for her back...

I think whilst looking it seems to be 50/50 cat friendly
Old Jul 27th 2010, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

Tough one!
I guess if expense is no option and you know you can get accomodation with an agreement to have pets, you could ship her out here for the three years and if it's the Uk you are in/going back to, at least she won't have quarantine on return under the pet travel scheme if she has the necessary course of rabies vaccines etc.
Good luck on whatever you decide.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

should I be concerned about spiders snakes and cane toads???
Old Jul 27th 2010, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I was expectig to have a complete nightmare finding a rental willing to take cats after everything I had read on BE. The truth is it was no problem at all, not even 50:50, it was more like 2 out of 15 said no.

Shipping a cat there and back within three years is quite a trauma though. I am hating this quarantine period and so are the kitties, at least that can be avoided going the other way.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

No. Well, not in my opinion. Not saying that there is no risk but if she's in doors most of the time, like my cats, shouldn't be a problem. There a heaps of cane toads around us, as well as snakes ans spiders. Ticks are the biggest problem where we live - one of mine had tick paralysis last year
Old Aug 4th 2010, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

mm still researching this cat topic..

new laws seem to suggest cats need to be kept on property... that would be hard to do with a rental and two children.....so what happens if she does walk down the street and also if she doesnt know her immediate surroundings and got out would she get lost???

plus in at night - which we could do majority of nights- we used to do that here but would still sometimes struggle on odd evenings...
Old Aug 4th 2010, 10:37 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

To the Op leave the cat if you have someone willing to take her. In the end its best for the cat as long as its a loving home.

There are plenty of cats in shelters all over Oz looking for a home. I know as we have three. All rescued one from a mad bitch trying to hand her to passers by in a shopping centre in the western suburbs.

It was heart breaking when we gave up our UK cat but she made her new owner very happy. Plus we saved three cats here. So as a result thats 4 cats in homes.

In relation to keeping them in at night , we do the trick is feed them and lock the door in the evenings. Works every time.

Sadly yes they can go after birds it happened to us once and it was not nice. As a result the offending cat gets another bell. which is a pity as the offender is that fat I cant believe the bird was that slow. I think another cat did it and she cliamed it off them.