British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Overseas Driving License (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/overseas-driving-license-510497/)

smurtaza Jan 31st 2008 1:46 am

Overseas Driving License

Hi,

If I drive a car on overseas license in Australia and I buy a new car. How can they fine me on over speeding. How can they deduct points(demerit points) etc.?

Thanks,

NickyC Jan 31st 2008 2:00 am

Re: Overseas Driving License

Considering that australian citizens are supposed to have a local driving licence, and PR's are supposed to get one within 3 months of arrival - I reckon you'd be up for more than a fine or a couple of demerit points.

You'd more than likely be done for driving without a valid license as well - which is a far more serious offense that just speeding. ;)

Possums Jan 31st 2008 2:08 am

Originally Posted by NickyC (Post 5861750)
Considering that australian citizens are supposed to have a local driving licence, and PR's are supposed to get one within 3 months of arrival - I reckon you'd be up for more than a fine or a couple of demerit points.

You'd more than likely be done for driving without a valid license as well - which is a far more serious offense that just speeding. ;)

thats what I thought, you've been here more than 3 months havent you Smurtaza?

moneypenny20 Jan 31st 2008 2:54 am

It certainly seems like it ;)

smurtaza Jan 31st 2008 4:08 am

Originally Posted by NickyC (Post 5861750)

Hi,

I am talking about people with 4 years of 457 visa they are temporary workers?Can they buy car and drive using their country license?

Thanks,

ghanghro Jan 31st 2008 4:57 am

Its absolutely fine to use your overseas license on a 457 visa, I used mine while I was in Gold Coast as its considered a temp visa.

But, I would suggest you to get your Australian License while you are there, that will help you a lot.

Ghanghro

Originally Posted by smurtaza (Post 5862144)
Hi,

I am talking about people with 4 years of 457 visa they are temporary workers?Can they buy car and drive using their country license?

Thanks,

Dreamy Jan 31st 2008 6:08 am

Hi,

Thanks,

Yes, you can.

I bought one last week.

However, apparently in Queensland at least, your UK driving licence won't count towards the 100 points of ID that are needed to get the registration papers put in your name.

I'm guessing that, as we're hoping to be sponsored upto PR in 2 years time, I might as well get a Queensland licence now, before they change the rules again :)

Lynne

Geelong Gent Jan 31st 2008 7:14 am

Originally Posted by smurtaza (Post 5861693)
Hi,

If I drive a car on overseas license in Australia and I buy a new car. How can they fine me on over speeding. How can they deduct points(demerit points) etc.?

Thanks,

In Victoria any foriegn license has its own record created by Vic Roads. Fines and penalties info is passed over to them by the police and kept for 3 years. When you transfer over your license the penalties are transferred over.

biggy Jan 31st 2008 7:21 am

If you are in Oz for more than 3 months you have to get an OZ driving licence, it doesnt matter a shit what visa you have

ghanghro Jan 31st 2008 7:24 am

Sorry but thats not quite right. That only applies to the Permanent Residents and not the Temp such as people on work permit or the student visa holders.

Have a good read of the web sites such as Vicroads and etc and its quite clearly mentioned there ...

Originally Posted by biggy (Post 5862530)
If you are in Oz for more than 3 months you have to get an OZ driving licence, it doesnt matter a shit what visa you have

NickyC Jan 31st 2008 8:01 am

Hi,

Thanks,

Sorry, I could have sworn you were talking about yourself when you said:

If I drive a car on overseas license in Australia and I buy a new car.

Your exploits in gaining Australian citizenship are well documented. So what are you - a citizen or here on a 457 visa? :confused:

biggy Jan 31st 2008 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by ghanghro (Post 5862543)
Sorry but thats not quite right. That only applies to the Permanent Residents and not the Temp such as people on work permit or the student visa holders.

Have a good read of the web sites such as Vicroads and etc and its quite clearly mentioned there ...

sorry I was talkng about Qld...but IMO people should have to get an Oz licence no matter what visa they are on...........diff country diff road rules

Pollyana Jan 31st 2008 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by NickyC (Post 5862645)
Sorry, I could have sworn you were talking about yourself when you said:

Your exploits in gaining Australian citizenship are well documented. So what are you - a citizen or here on a 457 visa? :confused:

A very valid point - unless he has a split personailty, and only half of it got citizenship? :confused:

ghanghro Jan 31st 2008 5:58 pm

Thats no problem :)

I lived in Gold Coast (QLD) on a 457 for more than an year and never had to get QLD driver license, I could use my overseas license there. So I think that rule applies to all states.

What is IMO by the way ?

Originally Posted by biggy (Post 5863775)
sorry I was talkng about Qld...but IMO people should have to get an Oz licence no matter what visa they are on...........diff country diff road rules

The Bloke Jan 31st 2008 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by ghanghro (Post 5865346)
Thats no problem :)

I lived in Gold Coast (QLD) on a 457 for more than an year and never had to get QLD driver license, I could use my overseas license there. So I think that rule applies to all states.

What is IMO by the way ?

In my opinion.