Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Overseas Driving License

Overseas Driving License

Old Jan 31st 2008, 1:46 am
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question Overseas Driving License

Hi,

If I drive a car on overseas license in Australia and I buy a new car. How can they fine me on over speeding. How can they deduct points(demerit points) etc.?

Thanks,
Old Jan 31st 2008, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Overseas Driving License

Considering that australian citizens are supposed to have a local driving licence, and PR's are supposed to get one within 3 months of arrival - I reckon you'd be up for more than a fine or a couple of demerit points.

You'd more than likely be done for driving without a valid license as well - which is a far more serious offense that just speeding.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 2:08 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
Considering that australian citizens are supposed to have a local driving licence, and PR's are supposed to get one within 3 months of arrival - I reckon you'd be up for more than a fine or a couple of demerit points.

You'd more than likely be done for driving without a valid license as well - which is a far more serious offense that just speeding.
thats what I thought, you've been here more than 3 months havent you Smurtaza?
Old Jan 31st 2008, 2:54 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It certainly seems like it
Old Jan 31st 2008, 4:08 am
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: Overseas Driving License

Hi,

I am talking about people with 4 years of 457 visa they are temporary workers?Can they buy car and drive using their country license?

Thanks,
Old Jan 31st 2008, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

ghanghro is a jewel in the roughghanghro is a jewel in the roughghanghro is a jewel in the roughghanghro is a jewel in the roughghanghro is a jewel in the rough

Its absolutely fine to use your overseas license on a 457 visa, I used mine while I was in Gold Coast as its considered a temp visa.

But, I would suggest you to get your Australian License while you are there, that will help you a lot.

Ghanghro
Originally Posted by smurtaza
Hi,

I am talking about people with 4 years of 457 visa they are temporary workers?Can they buy car and drive using their country license?

Thanks,
Old Jan 31st 2008, 6:08 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks,
Yes, you can.

I bought one last week.

However, apparently in Queensland at least, your UK driving licence won't count towards the 100 points of ID that are needed to get the registration papers put in your name.

I'm guessing that, as we're hoping to be sponsored upto PR in 2 years time, I might as well get a Queensland licence now, before they change the rules again

Lynne
Old Jan 31st 2008, 7:14 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

If I drive a car on overseas license in Australia and I buy a new car. How can they fine me on over speeding. How can they deduct points(demerit points) etc.?

Thanks,
In Victoria any foriegn license has its own record created by Vic Roads. Fines and penalties info is passed over to them by the police and kept for 3 years. When you transfer over your license the penalties are transferred over.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 7:21 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are in Oz for more than 3 months you have to get an OZ driving licence, it doesnt matter a shit what visa you have
Old Jan 31st 2008, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

ghanghro is a jewel in the roughghanghro is a jewel in the roughghanghro is a jewel in the roughghanghro is a jewel in the roughghanghro is a jewel in the rough

Sorry but thats not quite right. That only applies to the Permanent Residents and not the Temp such as people on work permit or the student visa holders.

Have a good read of the web sites such as Vicroads and etc and its quite clearly mentioned there ...

Originally Posted by biggy
If you are in Oz for more than 3 months you have to get an OZ driving licence, it doesnt matter a shit what visa you have
Old Jan 31st 2008, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks,
Sorry, I could have sworn you were talking about yourself when you said:

If I drive a car on overseas license in Australia and I buy a new car.
Your exploits in gaining Australian citizenship are well documented. So what are you - a citizen or here on a 457 visa?
Old Jan 31st 2008, 12:07 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ghanghro
Sorry but thats not quite right. That only applies to the Permanent Residents and not the Temp such as people on work permit or the student visa holders.

Have a good read of the web sites such as Vicroads and etc and its quite clearly mentioned there ...
sorry I was talkng about Qld...but IMO people should have to get an Oz licence no matter what visa they are on...........diff country diff road rules
Old Jan 31st 2008, 12:58 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I could have sworn you were talking about yourself when you said:

Your exploits in gaining Australian citizenship are well documented. So what are you - a citizen or here on a 457 visa?
A very valid point - unless he has a split personailty, and only half of it got citizenship?
Old Jan 31st 2008, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thats no problem

I lived in Gold Coast (QLD) on a 457 for more than an year and never had to get QLD driver license, I could use my overseas license there. So I think that rule applies to all states.

What is IMO by the way ?

Originally Posted by biggy
sorry I was talkng about Qld...but IMO people should have to get an Oz licence no matter what visa they are on...........diff country diff road rules
Old Jan 31st 2008, 7:35 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ghanghro
Thats no problem

I lived in Gold Coast (QLD) on a 457 for more than an year and never had to get QLD driver license, I could use my overseas license there. So I think that rule applies to all states.

What is IMO by the way ?
In my opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.