Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Over the counter medications

Over the counter medications

Old Jan 11th 2004, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

shedu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Over the counter medications

I put this question in with a thread about treating mossie stings but thought I would widen it,

If I stock up on over the counter (OTC) medicines before I go will I have any problems with customs? From what I have heard we can buy alot of stuff OTC that would need a prescription in Oz.

(I have a hypochondriac for a hubby).

I suppose I would get stung for GST as well??
Old Jan 11th 2004, 10:07 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Over the counter medications

Originally posted by shedu
I put this question in with a thread about treating mossie stings but thought I would widen it,

If I stock up on over the counter (OTC) medicines before I go will I have any problems with customs? From what I have heard we can buy alot of stuff OTC that would need a prescription in Oz.

Not sure how much they check, but keep the receipts, and avoid bringing in commercial quantites.

A doctors letter to explain why, may be useful ?

Regarding the GST, you could always try to claim the VAT back when you leave 17.5%

Actually can you do that with any other things that you are taking with you ??? just a thought

Old Jan 11th 2004, 11:16 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Over the counter medications

Originally posted by shedu

I brought a first aid kit with me in addition to several off the shelf medicinal products. Obviously most things you can get here, I was trying to save some money at the time and just bought something each week before we left.

I would bring some anthisan cream because you can only get it here on prescription.

i don't know if there are any other products that people would suggest.

Donna
Old Jan 12th 2004, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you take any medication in UK, make sure it is available in Australia / NZ and what the brand name is.

Some things not available here. So its best to make sure before leaving so if need be you can change your brand of medication in UK and get used to it there.

I am diabetic and certain insulin types are not available here and hypostop not available.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Juls is an unknown quantity at this point

We brought out several over the counter aswell as prescribed cream's for our daughters escxma, we didn't have any problem. I also brought out calpol I have not seen it here only nurofen for kids and other brand paracetomol. I would definatly stock up on any childrens prescribed drugs as you'll pay for them here.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 5:32 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Juls
We brought out several over the counter aswell as prescribed cream's for our daughters escxma, we didn't have any problem. I also brought out calpol I have not seen it here only nurofen for kids and other brand paracetomol. I would definatly stock up on any childrens prescribed drugs as you'll pay for them here.
Soul Pattinson (Chemists) do a Sorbelene Cream with 10% glycerine, that works very well for eczema.

We tried other brands, but only this brand worked for our daughter. And she did suffer pretty bad. We didn't bring any of the prescribed stuff out from UK, but we should have.

Old Jan 12th 2004, 5:39 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Interestingly, I was in the chemist today getting a script & saw an poster in the window. It said that taking PBS (Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme) medicines out of Australia can be illegal. Might be worth checking to see that bringing IN something that is only available here on prescription isnt also illegal?
Old Jan 12th 2004, 5:55 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Interestingly, I was in the chemist today getting a script & saw an poster in the window. It said that taking PBS (Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme) medicines out of Australia can be illegal. Might be worth checking to see that bringing IN something that is only available here on prescription isnt also illegal?
Hi
I'm pretty sure that the rule will also apply in UK. The PBS stuff is discounted for residents of that country, and so each country would not want its tax payers funds going out of the counry in that way.
If looked at in a purely financial way, any country should not complain about incoming prescription goods, as that means less to be sold at below cost. Did I explain that well or not ? I''m not sure !

Old Jan 12th 2004, 6:03 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Hi
I'm pretty sure that the rule will also apply in UK. The PBS stuff is discounted for residents of that country, and so each country would not want its tax payers funds going out of the counry in that way.
If looked at in a purely financial way, any country should not complain about incoming prescription goods, as that means less to be sold at below cost. Did I explain that well or not ? I''m not sure !
Not sure if you did either, I can see what you are saying but I was just thinking about it in a different way when I saw the poster. If a drug is only legally available by prescription in a country, but you have it without a prescription ie illegally, I wonder if they could/would do anything about it?

Perhaps the chances of them even caring are only slight, but knowing how strict the customs/quarrantine & import laws etc are, Im not sure I would just try to plead ignorance.

After all Im sure that you could find somewhere in the world that its legal to have heroin or cocaine etc. Doesnt mean that you can bring it into Australia though, does it? LOL
Old Jan 12th 2004, 6:33 am
ABCDiamond

After all Im sure that you could find somewhere in the world that its legal to have heroin or cocaine etc. Doesnt mean that you can bring it into Australia though, does it? LOL
Yes, There is that point

Old Jan 12th 2004, 6:55 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that is in quantities to sell at a profit abroad.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 7:13 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

They told me that as long as the stuff is labelled for my personal use, and backed up by a doctors letter, there is no problem. That also applies to brands of The Pill that you can't get here.
Best thing I did was bring leaflets from things like over-the-counter anti-histamines - take them to the chemist and they can usually find a close equivalant.
Anyone on Piriton in the UK - get Polaramine over here, same stuff, different name!
Old Jan 12th 2004, 7:15 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally posted by bondipom
I think that is in quantities to sell at a profit abroad.
BP, yes, you're probably right, cos I think it also mentioned something about posting PBS medicines out of Australia too. But as I said, it did make me think about bringing stuff in as well (mainly cos I read this thread this morning! ) .

I know that its suggested that if you are travelling o/s & are taking prescription drugs with you that you take a doctors letter with you.

It would be interesting to know either way. We need a friendly neighbourhood customs/import/quarrantine official on this site .
Old Jan 12th 2004, 7:18 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally posted by Pollyana
They told me that as long as the stuff is labelled for my personal use, and backed up by a doctors letter, there is no problem. That also applies to brands of The Pill that you can't get here.
Best thing I did was bring leaflets from things like over-the-counter anti-histamines - take them to the chemist and they can usually find a close equivalant.
Anyone on Piriton in the UK - get Polaramine over here, same stuff, different name!
Ahhhhhh bingo Polly, thats what I was getting at. If you buy something OTC in the UK then you wouldnt have a doctors letter (as I just mentioned, its suggested that you have one if travelling o/s from here). So if you DID get anything OTC in the UK & brought it to Oz (where it was prescription only), then perhaps there may be a problem.

No idea what might be OTC over there but prescription only here.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 7:34 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Theres a lot of stuff like anti-histamines, eczema cream etc than you can buy over the counter in the UK cos its cheaper that way, but your GP often knows you are doing it that way because of the price difference, and people shouldn't have a problem getting a letter to cover themselves (as long as they have an amenable doctor!
A lot of those products aren't actually prescription only here, but they are the ones like hydro-cortisone cream, that the pharmacist will insist on labelling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.