Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

over 80 travelling to Australia

over 80 travelling to Australia

Old Aug 19th 2013, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Michael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond repute
Default over 80 travelling to Australia

My wife and I are hoping to travel to Australia to see family for 3 months from November of this year. However, because of our age, the oldest being 82 we are having great difficulty finding travel insurance. What insurance we can find is completely out of our reach financially.

As we are UK passport holders I am looking at flight only insurance cover and then relying on the reciprocal agreement between Australia and the UK for medical cover using Medicare.

We intend flying Cathay Pacific from London Heathrow via Hong Kong to Melbourne.

Any advice re our problem appertaining to Medicare and Flight only insurance would be much appreciated
Old Aug 19th 2013, 5:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: over 80 travelling to Australia

I'm not sure that would be a good idea - sure, you would be covered if you got run over by a bus but if (heaven forbid) you had something which required you to be repatriated with support (stroke, accident, heart attack etc) then you would be up for tens of thousands. There is an ad on UK tv at the moment which advertises travel insurance regardless of age but I don't recall the name and the premiums may well be prohibitive! I'm guessing you've plugged details into Go Compare, Compare the Market etc to see if anyone will offer you something affordable. It was one of the reasons that my parents stopped visiting at 81.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

My mum is in her late 70's and got travel insurance last year which was affordable compared to all the others we looked at which would have cost multiple times more than her flight. She comes for three months, it cost somewhere in the region of 350 - 400 pounds.

http://www.justtravelcover.com/

If you look in the over 65's section it says there are some options with no age limits but I haven't looked at the prices. Yes, mum used to rely on the reciprocal health agreement in Aus but with her age and getting medical conditions, the worry was if something happened while on route or at Singapore and like quoll says, if something major happened here it could get very costly if medical support was needed to get home or if travel home wasn't possible.

Last edited by kitty4; Aug 19th 2013 at 8:43 pm. Reason: typo
Old Aug 20th 2013, 3:01 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael74
My wife and I are hoping to travel to Australia to see family for 3 months from November of this year. However, because of our age, the oldest being 82 we are having great difficulty finding travel insurance. What insurance we can find is completely out of our reach financially.

As we are UK passport holders I am looking at flight only insurance cover and then relying on the reciprocal agreement between Australia and the UK for medical cover using Medicare.

We intend flying Cathay Pacific from London Heathrow via Hong Kong to Melbourne.

Any advice re our problem appertaining to Medicare and Flight only insurance would be much appreciated
My father flew to Melbourne annually up to the age of 85 (he is now no longer able to make the journey). His travel insurance was through his credit card.

BB
Old Aug 20th 2013, 6:21 am
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

I looked into this in some detail and spend a couple of days trying to find something for my folks a couple of years ago. Short answer is if you are over 80 and want insurance for more than a couple of weeks you will pay a fortune.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=659373

There is one insurer on that thread that I found that you may like to try.

Additionally I found this one that will help others looking for cover under 80 (but not you I'm afraid)

http://www.anzplus.com/main/step1

Sorry not to be the bearer of better news. Also are you sure that your household insurance policy will allow your current house to be vacant to 3 months and still cover it? This was another issue my folks had that resulted in them reducing visit to 60 days.

Sorry can't help any more - its a major hassle!
Old Aug 21st 2013, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
My father flew to Melbourne annually up to the age of 85 (he is now no longer able to make the journey). His travel insurance was through his credit card.

BB
when I come to Australia every year for 6 months at a time this is what I use never had a problem with any claims, only made small claims like dentist.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

As others have said, insurance is essential in case something happens which requires medical repatriation.

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

BB
You just need to check the small print as some credit card travel insurance has an upper limit on the age of the passengers and/or.....

Originally Posted by billymacker
when I come to Australia every year for 6 months at a time this is what I use never had a problem with any claims, only made small claims like dentist.
........a restriction on the length of trip.

My parents are visiting soon and this is the first time that they have visited since my father turned 80. They found that their previous insurers were not prepared to cover them and that a number of alternative insurers would only insure a trip of up to 30 days.

They found the following website useful:

www.medicaltravelcompared.co.uk

and finally purchased insurance through this lot:

www.goodtogoinsurance.com

I know that it wasn't cheap, but at least they are covered which gives them peace of mind.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Originally Posted by Famous 5
As others have said, insurance is essential in case something happens which requires medical repatriation.

You just need to check the small print as some credit card travel insurance has an upper limit on the age of the passengers and/or.....

........a restriction on the length of trip.

My parents are visiting soon and this is the first time that they have visited since my father turned 80. They found that their previous insurers were not prepared to cover them and that a number of alternative insurers would only insure a trip of up to 30 days.

They found the following website useful:

www.medicaltravelcompared.co.uk

and finally purchased insurance through this lot:

www.goodtogoinsurance.com

I know that it wasn't cheap, but at least they are covered which gives them peace of mind.
restriction on trip on my card is length of stay no longer that 6 months on each trip.