Reload this Page >

Over 70 Oz resident needs one way travel insurance

Over 70 Oz resident needs one way travel insurance

Old Jan 10th 2019, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

peewit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Over 70 Oz resident needs one way travel insurance

Originally Posted by Rete
I'm sorry to interrupt but being a Yank I read the header and thought it was about a 70 ounce resident LOL Only half the subject line shows at the beginning of the Australian forum.
Haha Yes I was trying to abbreviate the subject line. I can confirm that I am over 70 ounces.
Old Jan 11th 2019, 3:53 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peewit
My Australian visa requires 24 months residency over a five year period. My maths tells me that leaves 36 months to be resident over five years in the UK. They require 183 days residency per year.
The UK, and the NHS do not care about the requirements needed to keep your Aussie visa current. They are only concerned with where you live, where you are a resident. Many people in Aus could claim they are emtitled to use the HSby your reckoning but it just doesn't work that way.
If you want repatriation to the UK you will need a UK based insurance policy, or the insurance policy included with your credit card. If you are a UK resident that should be easy enough to organise. However if you need to claim the insuance company may start to query where you are actually resident. Possession of a visa will not come into it, its a case of "where is the centre of your life".
If however you prefer to view yourself as an Aussie resident then you would be repatriated to Aus. Its just as simple as this -repatriation means that you are returned to the place in which you currently live. although some of us wish it were different, we can only live in one place at a time.

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 11th 2019 at 3:56 am.
Old Jan 11th 2019, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana

The UK, and the NHS do not care about the requirements needed to keep your Aussie visa current. They are only concerned with where you live, where you are a resident. Many people in Aus could claim they are emtitled to use the HSby your reckoning but it just doesn't work that way.
If you want repatriation to the UK you will need a UK based insurance policy, or the insurance policy included with your credit card. If you are a UK resident that should be easy enough to organise. However if you need to claim the insuance company may start to query where you are actually resident. Possession of a visa will not come into it, its a case of "where is the centre of your life".
If however you prefer to view yourself as an Aussie resident then you would be repatriated to Aus. Its just as simple as this -repatriation means that you are returned to the place in which you currently live. although some of us wish it were different, we can only live in one place at a time.
My original plan was to become an Australian citizen with an Australian passport as well as a British passport. My eldest daughter has both passports. It did not work out that way for me by needing to return to the UK regularly.
I have family in both countries and spend approximately six months in each so it is hard to define where the centre of my life is.

I knew that my apparently simple quest to get three hours worth of health insurance while in transit would be difficult. Most UK based insurance policy require you to start your trip in the UK, but here I am in Australia. My options seem very limited.
Old Jan 11th 2019, 5:20 am
BE Enthusiast

tomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond repute

I only have UK credit cards. I use a debit card in Australia. I cannot get an Australian credit card as I am retired with no Australian income.
Checking various UK credit cards it seems that their travel insurance offers are up-to the age of 70. I am 73

It does not seem that a credit card will provide the insurance cover that I would like at a reasonable cost.[/QUOTE]

How long have you lived in Australia? We have lived here since 2003 on a long term temporary self funded retirement visa, don’t have PR, all our income is from UK, and we had no problem getting Australian credit cards. Have the rules changed?We are over 70 and use the cards travel insurance when we go back to UK every year, but only go for 3 months.
We definitely don’t qualify for free NHS, even though we still have property there, pay tax there, as our main residence where we spend most of the year is in Australia. Do you have to spend a certain length of time in UK every year to qualify?

I did once when living as an expat have a letter from the NHS questioning my status, so they do check up, and was specifically asked if I was absent for over 3 monthsI as if over 3 months you were then supposed to reapply on your return.That’s how it used to be, has that changed?

Last edited by tomar; Jan 11th 2019 at 5:34 am.
Old Jan 11th 2019, 6:11 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I only have UK credit cards. I use a debit card in Australia. I cannot get an Australian credit card as I am retired with no Australian income.
Checking various UK credit cards it seems that their travel insurance offers are up-to the age of 70. I am 73

It does not seem that a credit card will provide the insurance cover that I would like at a reasonable cost.

=tomar;12619864
How long have you lived in Australia? We have lived here since 2003 on a long term temporary self funded retirement visa, don’t have PR, all our income is from UK, and we had no problem getting Australian credit cards. Have the rules changed?We are over 70 and use the cards travel insurance when we go back to UK every year, but only go for 3 months.
We definitely don’t qualify for free NHS, even though we still have property there, pay tax there, as our main residence where we spend most of the year is in Australia. Do you have to spend a certain length of time in UK every year to qualify?

I did once when living as an expat have a letter from the NHS questioning my status, so they do check up, and was specifically asked if I was absent for over 3 monthsI as if over 3 months you were then supposed to reapply on your return.That’s how it used to be, has that changed?
Its not down to spending a certain amount of the year there. One is entitled to NHS care once one moves back there, at once, but when visiting, nope.
Its down to where the centre of life is. If one maintains a home, banks there, pays utility bills, fills in the UK address on forms when asked where you live, is on the electoral role, calls the UK home, etc etc then thats considered as living there. The NHS may ask for utility bills, GP registration, bank statements etcas proof of residence.

From what the OP has written she is not resident. Therefore she can't get travel insurance as a resident. She'll need to get the insurance as an Aussie resident a d if she needs repatriation then (unfortunately) she will end up in Aus. OP, I do feel for you as I would love to find a policy that says simply "if she dies en route, take her to the UK" but its not going to happen.
There may be some companies that do one way insurance, aimed at migrants, I think Gowalkabout was one for people moving south, but I don't know of any going the other way. And you ned to think about this differently, you are not just asking for insurance for the 3hours in transit, you need it for the whole flight. Thats 24-36hours, If you are taken ill on biard a flight and they have to divert you are going to need insurance to cover the care and the repatriation from wherever you may be.

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 11th 2019 at 6:13 am.
Old Jan 11th 2019, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tomar

All my income is from the UK. I was turned down for a credit card by Westpac about eight years ago. Maybe I should try again if I can find a credit card company that meet my needs. I know that the trend is to tighten up on credit so I may not be eligible. I spend at least six months of each year in the UK and have property there and retain my residency. The requirement is 183 days. I spend at least five months of every year in Australia. I only really need insurance cover for the first couple of days of my trip to the UK. Can you recommend a suitable Australian credit card company or bank ?
My visa is a Contributory Parent Visa (CPV) where I handed over a large chunk of money to the Australian government. As we know 'ten pound poms' are a thing of the past.
Old Jan 11th 2019, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana

From what the OP has written she is not resident. Therefore she can't get travel insurance as a resident. She'll need to get the insurance as an Aussie resident a d if she needs repatriation then (unfortunately) she will end up in Aus. OP, I do feel for you as I would love to find a policy that says simply "if she dies en route, take her to the UK" but its not going to happen.
There may be some companies that do one way insurance, aimed at migrants, I think Gowalkabout was one for people moving south, but I don't know of any going the other way. And you ned to think about this differently, you are not just asking for insurance for the 3hours in transit, you need it for the whole flight. Thats 24-36hours, If you are taken ill on biard a flight and they have to divert you are going to need insurance to cover the care and the repatriation from wherever you may be.
I am definitely a male UK citizen and resident, and pay tax there, registered with a GP surgery, have UK bank accounts, have UK property, etc.
I am not worried about the repatriation issue but mentioned it as it could be relevant to others.
Having now exposed much more of my personal situation than I planned to, I do hope there is a solution to my problem.
Old Jan 11th 2019, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

tomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond repute

Our credit cards are Commonwealth bank, do you have a permanent address in OZ? Although having said that, our UK accounts have our OZ address and we have their credit cards, so don’t know if Australian banks are the same.
I know as far as you are concerned you qualify for NHS, but I Seriously think if you are ever questioned by a follow up tel call as I was you might find you aren’t. Even though you maintain a property etc in UK if you are Regularly out of UK for 6 months, so away for over 3 months, I am fairly sure you are supposed to tell your surgery, if you haven’t then I suppose no one has chased it up. Not idea why I was checked, but in my case I was ok as never away for 3 months as our children were in school in UK.
Old Jan 11th 2019, 7:54 am
Home and Happy

I am definitely a male UK citizen and resident, and pay tax there, registered with a GP surgery, have UK bank accounts, have UK property, etc.
I am not worried about the repatriation issue but mentioned it as it could be relevant to others.
Having now exposed much more of my personal situation than I planned to, I do hope there is a solution to my problem.
I'm fairly sure that if you are on a CPV you should be filling in an Aus tax return, declaring your UK income, and thus not being taxed in the UK, due to the dual tax agreement. Thats certainly the case with most CPV holders.
Technically you should not be registered with a UK GP if you are an Aus resident. However as you seem to be treating the CPV like a tourist visa, and claim to be a UK resident, then you should be looking at UK based insurance and (possibly) credit cards.
I'm afraid that having handed over a small fortune to get the visa counts for nothing. most of us have done that one way or another.

The other thing that occurs to me is -how long have you held a PR visa? Are you sure you will qualify for a RRV when the time comes?
Old Jan 11th 2019, 7:56 am
Home and Happy

Our credit cards are Commonwealth bank, do you have a permanent address in OZ? Although having said that, our UK accounts have our OZ address and we have their credit cards, so don’t know if Australian banks are the same.
I know as far as you are concerned you qualify for NHS, but I Seriously think if you are ever questioned by a follow up tel call as I was you might find you aren’t. Even though you maintain a property etc in UK if you are Regularly out of UK for 6 months, so away for over 3 months, I am fairly sure you are supposed to tell your surgery, if you haven’t then I suppose no one has chased it up. Not idea why I was checked, but in my case I was ok as never away for 3 months as our children were in school in UK.
I'm assuming that the OP calmly makes use of Medicare whilst in Aus, then the NHS whilst in the UK. Good trick if you can get away with it, nicely funded by the rest of us......
Old Jan 11th 2019, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Interesting situation on tax. At the moment as temporary residents in Australia, with no income here, we are fully taxed in UK. However if or when our CPV ever comes through, this will change and as far as I know we will become Australian tax payers, in Oz with the double tax agreement. I might have the terminology wrong as no expert at all, but we definitely become Australian tax payers when we get our PR.

Even though the OP has never made any claim on Medicare so far, once you are in your 70’s more health problems rear their ugly head. 2 years ago I had almost no health problems, can’t say the same for the last 2 years.
Old Jan 11th 2019, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Interesting situation on tax. At the moment as temporary residents in Australia, with no income here, we are fully taxed in UK. However if or when our CPV ever comes through, this will change and as far as I know we will become Australian tax payers, in Oz with the double tax agreement. I might have the terminology wrong as no expert at all, but we definitely become Australian tax payers when we get our PR.

Even though the OP has never made any claim on Medicare so far, once you are in your 70’s more health problems rear their ugly head. 2 years ago I had almost no health problems, can’t say the same for the last 2 years.

sorry double post
Old Jan 11th 2019, 10:07 am
Home and Happy

Certainly an interesting one with the tax situation. He would need to be tax resident in one country and declare the income from the other. Presumably he is in receipt of a UK state pension. OP, I am not expecting you to answer any of this as it is my musings on the situation, but someone in Aus claiming a U K pension as an expat doesn't get the annual increase. If you are a UK resident you would. You would however benefit from Aus discounts for seniors, and some centrelink benefits. Then by claiming you are also a UK resident you get all the UK benefits and allowances, reduced council tax on your property etc.
Its questions like that which mean you must have a home country, you cannot be resident in both, and in one your status must be thar of a visitor.
And in turn questions like that lead to the issue of insurance. It should be done from your home country, and repatriation would be to that place.
Old Jan 12th 2019, 1:11 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

According to Google, it is possible to be dual resident and the UK even produce guidance leaflets to help - https://www.gov.uk/government/public...residents-2015. I would imagine there would be similar help for AUS.

Can I suggest that anyone wishing to further discuss dual residency start a new thread so as not to derail OP's question.

Ta muchly
Old Jan 12th 2019, 5:30 am
Home and Happy

Not sure if it helps the OP but my Aussie Amex card provides one way insurance to the UK if I book the flight with them, covering the flight amd the transit. ( I know the OP seems to think they only need transit but you do need the flight as well) . They say for anything out of the ordinary to contact them -maybe worth a go Maybe the OP has a UK Amex card? If so might be able to work something out between them.
Or contact whoever insured the last flight from the UK to aus?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.