Reload this Page >

Over 45's - any options?

Over 45's - any options?

Old Feb 3rd 2007, 11:07 am
Just Joined

Harcourt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Over 45's - any options?

Hi

This is our first post on this forum - hopefully it will work!
We appear to be in a catch 22 position regarding living & working in Australia.
I am 47 years old & my wife is 45, we have two sons of 19 & 21. We own a small business in the UK, but our skills & qualifications are not on the list of prefered skills. We would, however, have significant financial capital to enable us to buy a property and possibly a small business.
Our oldest son is a qualified carpenter / wood machinist.
We would all wish to live in Australia, along with our eldest sons fiance.
If my son & his fiance were to apply for and get a visa, how long would we have to wait before we could apply for a family visa to enable us to join them?

Any help or advice would be appreciated as we are feeling a little dispondent at the moment!
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Over 45's - any options?

I'm not sure on the process, but I'm 21 and hope to go to Oz before I turn 30, but would love my mum and dad to come as well. However I guess we're in the same boat.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

sue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nice

Originally Posted by Harcourt
Hi

I am 47 years old & my wife is 45, we have two sons of 19 & 21. We own a small business in the UK, but our skills & qualifications are not on the list of prefered skills. We would, however, have significant financial capital to enable us to buy a property and possibly a small business.
If my son & his fiance were to apply for and get a visa, how long would we have to wait before we could apply for a family visa to enable us to join them?

Any help or advice would be appreciated as we are feeling a little dispondent at the moment!
Hi,
I would think the best option for you is to apply for a businss visa,and your son could go on a skills visa,but if your youngest son doesnt have a skill then he may have to wait until you are here,then apply as the last remaining sibling.You best option is to contact a agent ,we used Global Visas and they were really helpful,also its a "no visa,no fee" policy.
Hope this helps,good luck.
sue
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

Hi there, I think as the previous reply said try to contact an agent. We also used a "No visa no fee" agent. www.1stcontact.co.uk good luck
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 2:01 pm
CDT
Forum Regular

CDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really nice

The 163 Business visa may be an option. Although its only temporary initially, you are eligible up to age 55.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/business/163/index.htm

There is a thread on this in the Immigration forum. 256 pages of it at the last count!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293591

Lot of helpful people on there, so maybe you could contact them.

There are a few agents (that will probably shoot down my advice ) that post to that forum so that may be the best place to post your query.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 2:24 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Your carpenter son may be eligible for a skilled independent visa. Once he has lived in Oz for two years, you may then be eligible for the contributory parent visa (gives you PR and you can work/do any job you want).

Have a look at the DIMA (DIC) website. Download booklet 6 for the skilled independent visa and do a search for contributory parent visa.

http://www.immi.gov.au

Gina
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light

If i was to set up a business with my dad as a business partner. Would it matter if he was over 55?
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 2:36 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coppock
If i was to set up a business with my dad as a business partner. Would it matter if he was over 55?
Coppock,

do a bit of research yourself on http://www.immi.gov.au

You need to have a history of running a business (and not just any type of "business" )before you can apply for a business visa. Like I said, do a bit of reading yourself first. All the booklets for the different visa types are on the above web site.

Gina
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far. Unfortunately we can't apply on a business visa as our current business has a turnover of less than $300,000.

Any other suggestions?
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

yea me too . . . annual turnover of $300000 . . . if only. . .

I was having a look, and one way you could possibly do it, is if your son got a skilled visa. You could then get a parents visa because half your dependents live in oz, then your other son could get a remaining family member visa . . . he might possibly be able to go with you but I don't know.

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/visa-options.htm

Hope this helps
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 7:36 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far. Unfortunately we can't apply on a business visa as our current business has a turnover of less than $300,000.

Any other suggestions?
How significant is your capital...? Enough for an investor visa...?
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 8:04 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Start looking through the migration booklets, including business/investor (booklet 7), general skilled and employer nomination for your son (booklets 6 and 5), and contributory parent visas (booklet 3).
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/index.htm

If all this gets confusing then you should get some good professional assistance. You may have options depending on circumstances but a mistake could prove very expensive.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rodders39
How significant is your capital...? Enough for an investor visa...?
Yes, we have enough capital for an investment visa, but form what I can see from the booklets, this is again restricted to under 45's - unless you have a couple of million + to invest (which unfortunately we haven't).

Any other help or advice would be gratefully received!

Cheers
Old Feb 4th 2007, 5:35 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, we have enough capital for an investment visa, but form what I can see from the booklets, this is again restricted to under 45's - unless you have a couple of million + to invest (which unfortunately we haven't).
State sponsored investor visa might still work as the age limit for these is 55. With the greatest of respect, if you've got that amount of capital you should be able to afford to pay for professional advice. You could try Ian Harrop if you want a UK-based advisor: http://www.ianharrop.co.uk or try one of the recommended Australia based agents.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

Thanks JAJ.

We have indeed contacted a couple of agents and intend to discuss the situation with them shortly. We would like to be reasonably well informed prior to going into the initial meeting with the agent, so we thought that maybe if someone else had been in a similar position to ours they may be able to pass on some tips.

We're trying not to get too downhearted at the moment even though our chances of getting any type of visa look pretty slim.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.