Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

outstanding loan/credit card question?

outstanding loan/credit card question?

Old Feb 1st 2008, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

bluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to all
Default outstanding loan/credit card question?

Hello,

Can i ask if anyone has gone to Oz with an outstanding loan/credit card bill in the UK?

thankyou
Old Feb 1st 2008, 8:40 pm
fin
heading home

fin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nice
Default Re: outstanding loan/credit card question?

Originally Posted by bluenose27
Hello,

Can i ask if anyone has gone to Oz with an outstanding loan/credit card bill in the UK?

thankyou

Hi,

We're not in Aus yet, but we intend to go with both Credit Card and personal loan debt which we'll be continuing to pay. We'll be looking at using Tranzfers as recommended by a few people on here, to transfer the money each month.

If you do a search there are quite a few answers relating to this question.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 8:46 pm
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Just felt like stirring this hornet's nest again, did you?

big.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

bluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to all

thanks for your reply Fin. do you have alot of savings to go over with ?and do you have a loan/credit card that is of a fairly significant amount?

sorry for all the questions!!
Old Feb 1st 2008, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

sorry i forgot to add that our loan is around the 9/10.000 mark...
Old Feb 1st 2008, 9:01 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

sorry i forgot to add that our loan is around the 9/10.000 mark...
People will be groaning about this thread because the topic comes up again and again. It ends up into a "moral debate" about leaving and forgetting or continuing with the payments. - So dont take posts too heart shortly if they whinge about search functions etc. Your quite welcome to ask the question.

In answer many people do come across, could not answer on specific amounts but alot of people I know including myself keep our UK credit cards and bank accounts for offshore purchases and transfer funds back too keep them topped up.

Old Feb 1st 2008, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

minibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud of

It might be a good idea to try to pay as much off as you can before you go, i made a decision to pay all my student loan before i left, as you can tell its not payed yet and i am still stuck in the cold.

When your earning oz wages you may feel it more, especially when you are sending £££ home and paying transfer costs.

Lots of people have gone, continued to pay and they have managed.

It all depends if you think you will be able to afford it when you arrive.

minibelle
Old Feb 1st 2008, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

no moral issues here please just the simple question is it feasible to PAY these accounts not avoid them, and still be able to survive without too much of a struggle, partner a carpenter and ill be temping in admin etc ,no dependents
,we will pay off as much as we can before we come over but we just want out of uk asap for several reasons and cant wait to work hard and build a future in oz

thanks
Old Feb 1st 2008, 9:17 pm
fin
heading home

fin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nice

thanks for your reply Fin. do you have alot of savings to go over with ?and do you have a loan/credit card that is of a fairly significant amount?

sorry for all the questions!!
Nope, we don't have hardly any savings. Although our situation is different as I'm Aussie and all my family are living in Aus, so on our arrival we will be staying with my parents. Won't have all the usual bills etc to pay out on like other people who can't rely on family.

Yes, our loan is for a very large amount, and our credit cards have quite a bit on too. We don't have the option of paying it all off before we go - to do so would take a few years, and I want to live in Aus NOW, not in a few years! I'm working and paying off the debts here but I'd rather be in Aus, so I'll be working and paying off the debts there instead!
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

It is possible. I would aim to transfer as much as possible at a time to avoid paying the transfer costs -- and keep a bank a/c in the UK. We signed up for minimum payments through Direct Debits on this account and did a bit of shopping around for low interest and 0% balance transfer deals (getting harder to find)
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 1:17 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

thankyou
Paid off a $60K credit card debt over a year by keeping a UK bank account open (with internet access to pay off the card) and transfering cash into that using monthly Telegraphic Transfers ... these usually cost $30 a time but this was waived for me because I was staff.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

noggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to all

the moral issue..i left the uk with a heap of debt..and its still there!! and i sleep very well
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

We still have our UK bank account and credit card, left with fairly significant debt and paid it off very slowly by transferring lump sums to UK to avoid too many transfer costs and set up a direct debit to pay it off. No problems.