Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Outrageous Aussie sayings....

Outrageous Aussie sayings....

Old Jan 14th 2004, 5:47 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all
Default Outrageous Aussie sayings....

Start practicing ppl.....

http://homeandaway.freeservers.com/sayings.htm
Old Jan 14th 2004, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Outrageous Aussie sayings....

Originally posted by Stormz
Start practicing ppl.....

http://homeandaway.freeservers.com/sayings.htm

I actually feel a bit sorry for aussies when people post stuff like this. Most aussies are trying to work away from the Paul Hogan "Ocker" image.

Do people in the UK really think thats how the average aussie gets about? let alone talks. Do they also think the average person here wants to be seen as a right "drongo" with a flanno shirt and a gob full of beer.

No doubt I will be accused of being a snob, but most aussies I mix with would cringe big time at this image, not to mention wonder what the hell you were on about if you talked like that

Sure it was probably posted in a lighthearted way, but its coming across lately that some people in the Uk have a very outdated view of many aussies and OZ.

Oh Gawd that should start a few arguments
Old Jan 14th 2004, 6:32 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Paul Hogan is English iirc.

Well, I thought some of the `sayings` were funny anyway.

But I take your point.... The only ppl I`ve ever heard say G`day in Oz were English immigrants
Old Jan 14th 2004, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

No sorry, Kylie in our office says it all the time
Old Jan 14th 2004, 7:34 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I spend most of the day answering the phone to members of a large motoring organisation - nearly all Aussies, and at least 75% say "G'day" to me.......
Old Jan 14th 2004, 8:15 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Pollyana
I spend most of the day answering the phone to members of a large motoring organisation - nearly all Aussies, and at least 75% say "G'day" to me.......
Next time I ring the RACQ I will have to begin with "Hello There, would you mind awfully if you could provide me with some much needed assistance........

Old Jan 14th 2004, 8:17 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

The Paul Hogan ocker Aussie is a rare individual as is the types who use the phrases in the link.

I do regularly hear words like Gday, ripper, arvo, techo etc.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 9:45 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst I general agree with dottys comments about most Aussies trying to get away from the ocker image, I have to say that there are quite a few sayings in there that I would use LOL.

Sticks out like dog's balls.
About as useful as tits on a bull.
Spat the dummy.
He must have 2 penises...he couldn't be that stupid from playing with one.
clear as mud
You're a waste of space.
More arse than class.
Couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery (or a r**t in a brothel)
- are all phrases I use. And I only scrolled less than a quarter of the way down the page.

Just call me an ocker .

I never say g'day though
Old Jan 14th 2004, 10:05 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Whilst I general agree with dottys comments about most Aussies trying to get away from the ocker image, I have to say that there are quite a few sayings in there that I would use LOL.

About as useful as tits on a bull.
He must have 2 penises...he couldn't be that stupid from playing with one.
You're a waste of space.
More arse than class.
Couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery (or a r**t in a brothel)

- are all phrases I use. And I only scrolled less than a quarter of the way down the page.

Just call me an ocker .

I never say g'day though
I like to think that she does not use ALL of the above when talking to or about me.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DagBoy
I like to think that she does not use ALL of the above when talking to or about me.
Sorry but that was what we read into it Mr D

OzTennis
Old Jan 14th 2004, 10:13 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by OzTennis
Sorry but that was what we read into it Mr D

OzTennis
Me too - I just like to think that she doesn't.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 10:35 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Like the new pic Dagboy! Make my day and tell me somewhere in Brisbane where I can buy Speckled Hen......
Old Jan 14th 2004, 11:24 am
Cheesy Member

Originally posted by Pollyana
Like the new pic Dagboy! Make my day and tell me somewhere in Brisbane where I can buy Speckled Hen......
The Pig and Whistle Indooroopily has it on tap sometimes, I believe. It is available in one of the bottle shop chains, but I can never remember which one. Mrs D will know - she bought me some once - a bit bloody expensive I am afraid
Old Jan 14th 2004, 11:26 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

The Pig and Whistle Indooroopily has it on tap sometimes, I believe. It is available in one of the bottle shop chains, but I can never remember which one. Mrs D will know - she bought me some once - a bit bloody expensive I am afraid
The Grape. Not all stores stock it, but if you ask they can get it in for you. And yes its expensive, about $80/carton & the bottles arent pint bottles (I think they are 500ml?).
Old Jan 14th 2004, 11:28 am
Rocket Scientist

That exact thought popped into my mind when I posted it - surprise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.