Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Out of date food,Im soooooo fed up with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Out of date food,Im soooooo fed up with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Oct 25th 2008, 10:28 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Out of date food,Im soooooo fed up with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by sr71
I found the meat to be terrible in London supermarkets, many times we've opened meat to find it absolutely stinking.
Of course you did.
Old Oct 25th 2008, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Never have a problem with it here where we live. If things are near the use by date Safeway discounts them all the time. Meat, Yoghurt, packaged fish etc and I buy them and they are fine.

Use by dates I understood were only "recommended use by dates".

Not Quite Right supermarkets here in Vic do a huge trade selling supermarket lines that the majors do not want and so much cheaper. Nothing wrong with it.

Its not the date I go by its the look of it, my son did science at uni and ever since I never buy cut ham from the deli. Like to have it cut or buy in sealed packets.
Old Oct 25th 2008, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

I usually check the dates on things but sometimes when I am in a hurry or have the children with me I forget and it drives me made when I have paid a lot of money for something out of date.

Though I have never found something a year out of date.Sue.
Old Oct 25th 2008, 11:53 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

In my brief time here in the land of Oz selling stuff way past its sell-by date is rife here
Half the time they don't even advertise it as out of date either !

Lee
Old Oct 26th 2008, 12:06 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
As my closest Foodland is about 600 miles away I think I might give that a miss.
where are you at....??.........mm
Old Oct 26th 2008, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Well I have had far LESS out of date stuff than in the UK. Morrisons was bad for it.
And chickens we would not buy from ASDA as 4 times we had to take off ones back which were within their use by dates. So anoying when you are making a roast and then have to go back out to the supermarket because the food is off. And then they offer you another chicken! As if the smell hasn'tput you off chicken for a week even if you did trust them.

I have noticed that they put made on dates on food here far more often and a couple of times I have glanced at these and thought the food was out of date until I realise and hunt a bit harder.
I have found more things here (which still isn't a lot) with no use by date at all, so I don't buy it.

I am fairly obsessive about looking at use by dates because so often in England hubbie would go out to buy bread, milk, meat etc and the use by date would be the next day! He is not trained well enough to check.
Here we don't often have that problem though.

I did go to a shop which sells English food in Glenelg and they had a load of stuff out of date, with nothing to say it was. I pointed them out to the person on the till (it was all crisps) to be told that lots of people still like to buy them when they are out of date, and sometimes they are already out of date when they get to them! YUK!
Old Oct 26th 2008, 1:16 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Rather be out of date than shit served in places like coogee

hmmm is that chocolate or almonds??? in the icecream

For those who no not....... complimentary icecream served to disgruntled family contained human waste materials.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

One of the most annoying things in the UK for me was the home delivery service that would bring things like milk that would expire the next day.

I'll probably get flamed, but I had 2 different experiences in the UK - London supermarkets were terrible, the ones in Hove were great. The difference was the London ones seemed to be totally staffed by immigrants that just didn't give a monkeys about the food and had bad attitudes. The one in Hove was staffed by local English people and everything was better - presentation, no out of date stuff etc. Just more pride shown in their jobs.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

We just check dates on things.....
Old Oct 26th 2008, 1:47 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
One of the most annoying things in the UK for me was the home delivery service that would bring things like milk that would expire the next day.

I'll probably get flamed, but I had 2 different experiences in the UK - London supermarkets were terrible, the ones in Hove were great. The difference was the London ones seemed to be totally staffed by immigrants that just didn't give a monkeys about the food and had bad attitudes. The one in Hove was staffed by local English people and everything was better - presentation, no out of date stuff etc. Just more pride shown in their jobs.
Did i just read that right??

Best stay out of Aussie supermarkets then...full of those pesky, dirty immigrants
Old Oct 26th 2008, 8:22 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Did i just read that right??

Best stay out of Aussie supermarkets then...full of those pesky, dirty immigrants
Not mine ,we have young people, who ask how is your day and what are you doing over the week end .........mm
Old Oct 26th 2008, 10:11 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
Never shop at coles or woolies, always shop at Foodland [sa independant ] never had a problem with out of date food...shops here are allowed now to donate out of date food to welfare agencys............mm
Yep low income & pensioners etc are entitled to food parcels from St Vinnies, it's all just on sell by or close to starting to spoil, better to give it away than throw good food out while kids are hungry

The Club where I worked here in QLD didn't give a shit about out of date stock. We had a couple of 6 packs of West Coast Coolers that were so far out of date I wanted to throw them away as spoiled stock. When they came around to being a full two years out of date the boss man changed the 2006 to 2008
I've quit there & seldom visit now