Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

out of all the forms i've seen while playing this game,...

out of all the forms i've seen while playing this game,...

Old Jul 5th 2004, 5:08 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all
Default out of all the forms i've seen while playing this game,...

i've been through the skills assessment, completed my visa application, sorted the medical out, i've even completed all the forms from the solicitor when selling the house!

However out of all the forms i've now filled in i've just come across the one which has really got my head messed up.

What the flip is that bluddy 100 point check form all about then?!!!! :scared:

right i'm trying to create an online bank account with HSBC. i've gone through the website and done all the doobery bits and pieces ending up with some printed forms and i'm all ready to rock and roll. Then i start to read this 100 point form and my brain's now gone numb.

let me see if i've got this straight. i need to get 100 points + before i can open the account. (easy so far) So if i use my passport - 70 points, drivers licence - 25 points and a credit card - 25 points, which if my mathematically challenged brain can work out, is 120 points?

However, because all these are only showing my name, do i need to provide something with my address on, eg a gas bill? If this is the case my problem deepens. The address i gave when applying for the account was my parents address which i'll be moving to once i move out of my current address in a few weeks. This means none of my utility bills are showing the address i supplied and therefore are a waste of paper.

does this make sense? have i gone form crazy or just plain bonkers (again)? this form seems WAY over complicated for a simpleton like me, can any of you clever people help?

btw, another thought, when do they email you your bank account number?

ta very muchness.

Leigh (slightly bonkers if nothing else)
Old Jul 5th 2004, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

lindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: out of all the forms i've seen while playing this game,...

PMSL

Hi there Leigh,

We had exactly the same thoughts last week when we did it!! We ended up taking ours to our local HSBC branch and they did it for us and immediately they messed it up and got everyone very confused. LOL

It is as easy as looks and yes we also had 120 points. If I remember rightly you don't get 27 points with a normal driving licence unless it has a photo. But you can make up the points lots of ways.

We have sent ours off with the 2000 au dollars so here's hoping it was OK.

Lindsey

Where are you taking forms to be verified, if you take to your local bank explain situation about address and take your fathers ID, I'm sure they'll be obliging as they didn't see much sense in form either.

Last edited by lindseyden; Jul 5th 2004 at 5:37 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2004, 5:38 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally posted by lindseyden
PMSL

Hi there Leigh,

We had exactly the same thoughts last week when we did it!! We ended up taking ours to our local HSBC branch and they did it for us and immediately they messed it up and got everyone very confused. LOL

It is as easy as looks and yes we also had 120 points. If I remember rightly you don't get 27 points with a normal driving licence unless it has a photo. But you can make up the points lots of ways.

Lindsey
I think that will have to be my plan as well. i'm going to drop it on the unsuspecting soul in the doncaster HSBC tomorrow and ask them what i need! i'll take my licence and stuff, then see what happens.

I just showed the form to a friend who commented, saying it was to stop all the bad people (read terrorists) in the world getting a HSBC bank account! funny thing is the forms to get the visa weren't this complicated...
Old Jul 5th 2004, 5:54 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

You get the required points immediately, I believe, if you open the account within a few weeks of arriving as a new migrant and show your passport.

It couldn't have been easier for us: we phoned to tell them we were coming (when we arrived), turned up with passports and other idents and gave them stepson's address as temporary and it was all done.

As I said before, get them to give you a letter of intro - it opens all the other doors!

From what others have said, going via the HSBC in the UK tends to screw things up, depending which branch/person you make contact with here!
Old Jul 5th 2004, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

When I was working in Melbourne, I opened an account with no problem at Westpac/Bank of Melbourne. I was told if you were new in the country and have been there for less than 6 weeks , you don't need the 100 points. Your passport and driving license (or another ID with your photo) will be enough.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Jul 5th 2004, 7:56 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Originally posted by scutterUK
i've been through the skills assessment, completed my visa application, sorted the medical out, i've even completed all the forms from the solicitor when selling the house!

However out of all the forms i've now filled in i've just come across the one which has really got my head messed up.

What the flip is that bluddy 100 point check form all about then?!!!! :scared:

right i'm trying to create an online bank account with HSBC. i've gone through the website and done all the doobery bits and pieces ending up with some printed forms and i'm all ready to rock and roll. Then i start to read this 100 point form and my brain's now gone numb.

let me see if i've got this straight. i need to get 100 points + before i can open the account. (easy so far) So if i use my passport - 70 points, drivers licence - 25 points and a credit card - 25 points, which if my mathematically challenged brain can work out, is 120 points?

However, because all these are only showing my name, do i need to provide something with my address on, eg a gas bill? If this is the case my problem deepens. The address i gave when applying for the account was my parents address which i'll be moving to once i move out of my current address in a few weeks. This means none of my utility bills are showing the address i supplied and therefore are a waste of paper.

does this make sense? have i gone form crazy or just plain bonkers (again)? this form seems WAY over complicated for a simpleton like me, can any of you clever people help?

btw, another thought, when do they email you your bank account number?

ta very muchness.

Leigh (slightly bonkers if nothing else)
Hi Leigh,

I went to my local HSBC branch with my passport, photo drivers licence, and credit card (only have one with my full name on it rather than surname and initials - watch out for that one!).

No problem as the driving licence shows my address - do you have a photo licence or the old style?

I've just moved in with my mum but put it all through on my old address before I changed anything. I've got my post on redirect but I actually put a letter in with the paperwork and bank draft to open the account, to say that I've just moved.

If they pick up the change, all well and good. If not, the redirect should catch any post going to my old address.

Hope this helps to lift the mist of confusion

Elaine M
Old Jul 5th 2004, 9:09 pm
The Outback Beast

fogmeister is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by lindseyden
PMSL

Hi there Leigh,

Lindsey

Quick Tip, send off more than $2000 as I was charged $10 for a foreign transaction, I now have a balance of $1990, the difference between a decent interest rate and a crap interest !
Where are you taking forms to be verified, if you take to your local bank explain situation about address and take your fathers ID, I'm sure they'll be obliging as they didn't see much sense in form either.
Old Jul 5th 2004, 9:09 pm
life begins again...

thanks all..

i've tossed a few coins with this one. should i get the account before i go or after... should i use HSBC or not... from the bit of research i did there were issues with all options so here i am.

besides i needed to know my money is in the account before i set foot over there. i want to land with my feet firmly on the ground.

i have got one of those new photo drivers licences, i had to give my old one to some guy with a funny wig... :S however again it's got my current address on it. i think what i'm going to have to do is just take everything in tomorrow and see what they have to say.

fingers crossed eh?

thanks again folks.
Old Jul 5th 2004, 9:12 pm
The Outback Beast

fogmeister is an unknown quantity at this point

Dunno what happened then, heres my reply in big writing

Quick Tip, send off more than $2000 as I was charged $10 for a foreign transaction, I now have a balance of $1990, the difference between a decent interest rate and a crap interest !
Old Jul 5th 2004, 9:16 pm
life begins again...

Originally posted by fogmeister

you had me guessing for a while.

i'd read somewhere else about the $2000 problem, that was the first thing i noted down a while back. very good point though.

cheers for that.
Old Jul 5th 2004, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

lindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by fogmeister

I sent a bankers draft for 2000 Au Dollars, will that be OK surley no exchange rate here to be a problem?

Lindsey
Old Jul 7th 2004, 1:17 pm
life begins again...

...and the lass in HSBC says.... URGH! What's this then? Never seen one of them before. After 15 mins of trying to explain what i thought it was and what i thought they had to do, they came to the conclusion i fill it in, they just check my ID.

decided to revert to plan B. Gonna ring the international branch in london and see if they can open the account for me. if they don't know then i'll go somewhere else once i've set foot in auz....

i didn't think this would be easy.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

asfry is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you thought of going with the Commonwealth bank at all?

Http://www.migrantbanking.co.uk

or
[email protected]

or
0207 710 3990

They can sort the bank account out before you arrive in Oz. Even converting all your currency. They claim to get higher rates than these Forex type companies as there is no middleman with them.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 1:33 pm
life begins again...

Originally posted by asfry
Have you thought of going with the Commonwealth bank at all?

Http://www.migrantbanking.co.uk

or
[email protected]

or
0207 710 3990

They can sort the bank account out before you arrive in Oz. Even converting all your currency. They claim to get higher rates than these Forex type companies as there is no middleman with them.
i'm seriously thinking about it. I'm going to have another look at them tonight when i get chance, or this afternoon if people stop giving me work.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

asfry is an unknown quantity at this point

Damn those blasted employers!! :-)

I tried with HSBC and was told I'd have to hold a bank account with them in the UK for at least 2 years before they'd recommend (yes that's what I said) me to one of their branches in Oz.

Not exactly the world's local bank as they claim to be!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.