Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Our whistlestop tour, Perth v Brisbane v Melbourne

Wikiposts

Our whistlestop tour, Perth v Brisbane v Melbourne

Old Feb 23rd 2005, 7:49 am
Badge

Default Re: Our whistlestop tour, Perth v Brisbane v Melbourne

This is the second time someone has mentioned the flies in Melbourne.

Never noticed any, of any significance, apart from one day a few weeks ago and we are semi-rural, and if you are out walking in the cuds on particular days.

I saw loads of flies in SW WA, the most I ever saw was outback NSW.

Badge

Old Feb 24th 2005, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angela&rob
As we couldn't decide between Perth and Brisbane for our settling place we decided to have a good look at both and then thought we'd have a look at Melbourne as the tennis was (seemed as good a reason as any). Have seen a few Perth v Brisbane debates and so thought I'd add our views for anyone who's interested.

Perth:
We took a 10.30pm night flight from Heathrow which meant we arrived in Perth at 1am which is marvelous as it means you can go to bed and very easily adjust to the time zones. We flew Singapore airlines who are just fab (flew qantas internally and not as good - one of the pilots took off and I thought we were going into space as the plane was at quite an angle - anyway I digress). We stayed in Kings Perth hotel in Hay Street and that was very nice, big rooms and they let us use the room past normal checkout time and stored our bags all free of charge. We went round Perth centre all day and it was really nice. Lots of happy looking people who walk with thier head held high (unlike London where people have their head down and walk really fast and are in 'zombie mode'). City was really clean and although was lots of people it didn't feel crowded and I didn't feel like I was being swept along in a wave of people.

Things that made us ask 'are you serious' were the signs of threats of fines for wearing thongs, j-walking, smoking in the cab etc. Perhaps threatening peoples wallets is what makes people pay attention.

Also lots of jellyfish in the swan river and signs saying its illegal to serve someone who's drunk. (Before you think I'm a beer swilling, fag smoking chav, I'm not - don't smoke or drink, but sure some of you do).

Perth was really hot (38 degrees) and you can really feel the sun picking you out and seeing how hot you can go.

We then went to stay in Illuka which is very nice but still under construction. This means lots of builders dust all over your windows (if that bothers you block out an hour a day to clean windows). We saw a few beaches and they are very picturesque - turquoise seas and white sands. However was really windy and some days the wind was so strong I could feel mysel;f being exfoliated by the sand as I walked along the beach. The breeze/wind does make the heat very nice though and 35 degrees didn't feel like 35 degrees in London. Also when the sun goes down the temperature really drops which means you can get a good nights sleep.

We went to Hillarys which is a very nice part of town and very good for families as nice safe man made beach there.

Petrol was dirt cheap (about 35p a litre) and we didn't encounter a traffic jam (probably more luck than judgement).

We went as far South as Freemantle and weren't very taken with it as was a bit industrial looking for our liking. Lots of cranes etc which must take containers etc of the boats in the dock.

Really liked Perth (can you tell) and it sort of reminds me of Devon. Not a busy hive of people like London/Manchester etc but busy enough and beaches a few minutes away.

Brisbane:
When we arrived in Brisbane the heat wallopped us as we got off the plane as was very humid. Summer (Jan) is also their wet season so it rained (an I mean proper rain) everyday and everything felt a bit damp. Was also very hot throughout the night too. However was very green with lovely mountains and forests.

Brisbane city centre is also very clean and the south bank is just brilliant. A landscaped swimming pool with man made beach, lifeguards and BBQ'a overlooking the river in the middle of the city was just the best idea ever. We were there in the evening and it was all lit up and families were there enjoying the evening.

Gold coast and sunshine coast beaches are among the best I've seen (Even through the rain) but I'm not a fan of high rises and theres a few of them (more on gold coast) so it looks a bit like miami. Also if you can't afford to live in the centre of Brisbane and would live in one of the suburbs then the beaches are an hour in either direction (I'm talking about Sunshine/gold coast). We also looked at Redcliffe as new land sales going on there and it looked really nice but you get more for your money in Perth. Local also told me that as Redcliffe sort of sticks out of east coast there are only two main roads which get you in and out of it so if one is blocked can make journey home a bit of a nightmare. Also more flies in Brisbane and you have to be able to kill a can toad with some medeival looking implement of your choosing.

Melbourne:
It may just have been me but when you arrive in Melbourne you are assigned a fly which has to follow you everywhere you go and drive you nuts. SO not lots of flies, just one little one which did its job well. Melbourne centre has lots of commerce and shopping and seemed to have lots of venues for big events (tennis, open air concerts, olympic stadium etc). Melbourne looks very European in places as has some ornate buildings and fantastic places to eat. The weather varies depending not on season but time of day apparantly as we had blazing sunshine in the morning and storms in evening. Melbourne also has the 'fastest' pace of life it seemed with people busy etc. Brisbane was a bit slower and Perth even slower. But all were much slower than London where you have to accomplish so much in so little time and that's just normal living.

Anyway, hope this is helpful to some. Am sure some of you will disagree with what I've said and some night not but don't base your decisions on what I think. I am interested in what's right for my family as you all would be for yours so Perth is my place of choice.

Happy to answer questions if I know the answer.

Cheers
This is a very helpful tread and have often been wondering between Perth and Brisbane we have made our choice and decided on Perth sounds like it may be a good one.
Myself and family fly out on Sunday to check out Perth for the first time really hope we like it.
Thanks again for taking the time to post your experiences.
Good Luck with your future plans.
Dreamaway
Old May 19th 2005, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

BobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of light

My wife and I are also torn between Perth & Brisbane as each city seems to have it's plusses and minuses

Main things on our wishlist are:

1/ Good employment prospects (my wife is a neonatal intensive care nurse and I am an IT Project Manager)
2/ Quality schools for the kids (aged 10 & 12)
3/ Blue sky in the mornings!!
4/ Spacious, affordable housing with good sized plots
5/ Friendly locals
6/ As few creepy crawlies, snakes, spiders, crocs, cockroaches as possible!!!
7/ Good choice of shops
8/ Enough family entertainment & nightlife to keep a family occupied
9/ Clean, safe environment
10/ Beaches/shops/entertainment within easy travelling distance (up to 1 hour)

Not asking for much are we???

In essence, we don't like the hustle & bustle of a city like London, nor do we want the remoteness of the Scottish Highlands. Something between the two would be great

Any advice appreciated

We're planning a 3 stop shop next April (Perth, Briz, Melbourne) to take a look for ourselves

Thanks

BD