Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Our visit to UK - now I'm glad to be back "home" in Oz

Our visit to UK - now I'm glad to be back "home" in Oz

Old Nov 3rd 2005, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Our visit to UK - now I'm glad to be back "home" in Oz

Well the trip back to Blighty is all over and life returns to "normal". Yes, normal because that's how it feels living here now. We've been here just over 3 years. And now that I've had the chance to experience the UK again, I wonder why I spent so much time wondering if we'd done the right thing. Yes we did, and I don't plan on going back to the UK again. Any little niggling doubts have finally been put to rest. Holiday money in the future will be spent visiting other places in Australia, or maybe further afield, like New Zealand. Relatives will have to visit us instead.

The only "good" thing I can think about the trip back was that it gave us chance to spend a bit more time with family and friends, without the added pressure of being stressed out from all the organising/packing at the time of emigration. I felt that I said goodbye properly this time round. The day we emigrated, my dad got stuck in traffic on the way to Heathrow and rushed into departures just minutes before we went through. As he's nearly 70 and awaiting a heart bypass, it was nice to spend a couple of days with him. And now that we've been gone awhile, time being a great healer meant that people weren't all tearful and in shock about our decision to go, they've got over it and have moved on, and instead of being so negative, everyone was asking questions galore about our new lifestyle. The funniest part was seeing people's faces as they met the children again, 3 years older and much bigger than when they left.

Negatives:

The traffic! It's dreadful, much worse than I remember.
Parking - how does anyone park outside their own house these days?
The people - shop assistants appeared more rude and miserable.
The in-laws - living nearby was bad enough, but actually having to stay under their roof for a week was hard work. Kids said that it felt like Nanny had changed, I suppose she thought they'd changed too, weren't the little children she remembers babysitting and I bet the Aussie accent didn't help

Probably more, just can't think of them at the moment.

I was keen to hit the high st shops and go to Tesco again. WHY? The fashions were pretty much the same. I came away wondering what's the big deal with m&s? Our local Tesco has been extended and completely changed around since I last went there. I walked in and it felt completely alien. Wandered up and down a few aisles trying to jog my memory about foodstuffs we might be missing. Couldn't really think of any. Noticed a couple of things I'd forgotten about, but obviously couldn't have missed not eating them that badly because a) I had totally forgotten about them and b) I can't for the life of me remember what they are now. Does that make sense? Ended up looking for Milo - yes a taste of something from "home". Found some in Sainsbury's but it tasted slightly different. Upon arriving back in Mandurah, was actually glad to go into Woolworth's where everything looks familiar.

I thought all the towns that we visited seemed so old, run-down, dirty even, especially my old home town. I have no desire to go back and live in Bedford and would consider living elsewhere if for some reason we were forced to go back to the UK (very unlikely!). I reckon if we moved back I would drive everyone nuts moaning that "we didn't do it like that in Australia"!

Life does move on. Friends and family are all doing their own thing and we're doing ours. I think it would take some adjusting fitting back into our old way of life. The childrens' school friends were obviously all 3 years bigger too and they just don't have so much in common anymore. Since we've been back home, the kids have just settled back into their routines and I've not had to deal with any issues regarding homesickness, wanting to move back etc. They're all quite happy here and were keen to get back to school and tell everyone about their holiday. I had a quick phone call from my mum just checking that we'd arrived back safely, but no contact from anyone else, and just a few emails. I'm glad we made the trip because I know now that we did do the right thing emigrating - yes it takes a couple of years to feel really settled here and it's really hard-going in the beginning - but we got there in the end and have no regrets!
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 2:48 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Our visit to UK - now I'm glad to be back "home" in Oz

Thanks for this post Jacqui. These are the ones that I find the most useful as they surely must be the best gaugue. We are heading out to Mandurah/Rockingham in the new year and you have helped me confirm that we are doing the right thing.

Anne
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Secretsquirral has a spectacular aura aboutSecretsquirral has a spectacular aura aboutSecretsquirral has a spectacular aura about

Great post Jacqui, we have heard this so many times, sometimes you have to come back to the UK for a visit to realise why you left in the first place.

Debbie
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 3:12 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent post! Thanks for taking the time to write it. I hope Im saying the same things in a few years!

Lucy
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 3:14 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jacqui
Well the trip back to Blighty is all over and life returns to "normal". Yes, normal because that's how it feels living here now. We've been here just over 3 years. And now that I've had the chance to experience the UK again, I wonder why I spent so much time wondering if we'd done the right thing. Yes we did, and I don't plan on going back to the UK again. Any little niggling doubts have finally been put to rest. Holiday money in the future will be spent visiting other places in Australia, or maybe further afield, like New Zealand. Relatives will have to visit us instead.

The only "good" thing I can think about the trip back was that it gave us chance to spend a bit more time with family and friends, without the added pressure of being stressed out from all the organising/packing at the time of emigration. I felt that I said goodbye properly this time round. The day we emigrated, my dad got stuck in traffic on the way to Heathrow and rushed into departures just minutes before we went through. As he's nearly 70 and awaiting a heart bypass, it was nice to spend a couple of days with him. And now that we've been gone awhile, time being a great healer meant that people weren't all tearful and in shock about our decision to go, they've got over it and have moved on, and instead of being so negative, everyone was asking questions galore about our new lifestyle. The funniest part was seeing people's faces as they met the children again, 3 years older and much bigger than when they left.

Negatives:

The traffic! It's dreadful, much worse than I remember.
Parking - how does anyone park outside their own house these days?
The people - shop assistants appeared more rude and miserable.
The in-laws - living nearby was bad enough, but actually having to stay under their roof for a week was hard work. Kids said that it felt like Nanny had changed, I suppose she thought they'd changed too, weren't the little children she remembers babysitting and I bet the Aussie accent didn't help

Probably more, just can't think of them at the moment.

I was keen to hit the high st shops and go to Tesco again. WHY? The fashions were pretty much the same. I came away wondering what's the big deal with m&s? Our local Tesco has been extended and completely changed around since I last went there. I walked in and it felt completely alien. Wandered up and down a few aisles trying to jog my memory about foodstuffs we might be missing. Couldn't really think of any. Noticed a couple of things I'd forgotten about, but obviously couldn't have missed not eating them that badly because a) I had totally forgotten about them and b) I can't for the life of me remember what they are now. Does that make sense? Ended up looking for Milo - yes a taste of something from "home". Found some in Sainsbury's but it tasted slightly different. Upon arriving back in Mandurah, was actually glad to go into Woolworth's where everything looks familiar.

I thought all the towns that we visited seemed so old, run-down, dirty even, especially my old home town. I have no desire to go back and live in Bedford and would consider living elsewhere if for some reason we were forced to go back to the UK (very unlikely!). I reckon if we moved back I would drive everyone nuts moaning that "we didn't do it like that in Australia"!

Life does move on. Friends and family are all doing their own thing and we're doing ours. I think it would take some adjusting fitting back into our old way of life. The childrens' school friends were obviously all 3 years bigger too and they just don't have so much in common anymore. Since we've been back home, the kids have just settled back into their routines and I've not had to deal with any issues regarding homesickness, wanting to move back etc. They're all quite happy here and were keen to get back to school and tell everyone about their holiday. I had a quick phone call from my mum just checking that we'd arrived back safely, but no contact from anyone else, and just a few emails. I'm glad we made the trip because I know now that we did do the right thing emigrating - yes it takes a couple of years to feel really settled here and it's really hard-going in the beginning - but we got there in the end and have no regrets!
Great post , glad youv'e sttled in OZ and consider it your new home.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

Great to hear you had a good holiday, but even better to hear that you're really happy with your choice to move to Aus. Hope you have many more happy years there .
TJ
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 3:29 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for taking the time to write this Jacqui, it has been really interesting and settling too.

cheers
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 3:32 pm
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

oh what a great thread! *sighs* Has brightened my day.

Old Nov 3rd 2005, 3:39 pm

amanda76 is an unknown quantity at this point

arrr what a geat post, thanks for that

it was great to read you side

brill - really encouraging

manda
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 3:54 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

What a great post! Glad you found out that you have made the right decision!
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

Leeds_to_Perth will become famous soon enoughLeeds_to_Perth will become famous soon enough

Having the river and the sea so close certainly makes Mandurah very appealing.

Thanks for the insight, I'm yet to get there on a permanent basis!
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 5:01 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Great post. On a drizzly, gale-blown, rank old night like tonight, it's had to disagree with you either
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

good to know that you've settled in Mandurah as that is where we are heading, in fact the few people that we know personally have all settled well in australia.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 6:09 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Our visit to UK - now I'm glad to be back "home" in Oz

Originally Posted by Jacqui
The day we emigrated, my dad got stuck in traffic on the way to Heathrow and rushed into departures just minutes before we went through. As he's nearly 70 and awaiting a heart bypass, it was nice to spend a couple of days with him.
LOL, hope I don't cause offence with this comment (apologies in advance if I do) but the way you have worded this, it sounds like you spent a couple of days with your dad in his traffic jam!

Although having driven through London traffic myself, I know just how obscenely plausible that scenario could be... :scared:

Anyway, congrats on a great post - and best wishes for the rest of your life in your beautiful new country.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 6:27 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Every time i have touched back down in the uk i have always thought " bugger, thats that then back in old blighty ! "

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.