Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Our story about shipping our dog

Our story about shipping our dog

Old Jun 27th 2008, 2:31 pm
looking for an easy life!

IanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to all
Default Our story about shipping our dog

Hi I just thought I would add our story to help put people mind at rest if worried about shipping their loved animals over to oz.
I am a vet nurse and our field spainel/ working cocker is 9 years old.

Before we came out, about a mounth before she started to act oddly and after much investigation thanks to insurance, she was diganosed with epilepsy.

Because it wasn't serious my neurolgist was still happy for her to fly, then 3 weeks before she was to go and whilst taking her bloods for export we discovered she was in liver failure and had chornic pacreatsis. This lead to major surgery and nearly loosing her.

Because of her operation we had to delay the export untill after we had gone, but had set everything in place.

We used a company called par air in colchester essex and they where really helpful and really professional. They made her own crate and settled her down the day before she was due to travel.

She was shipped over on lots of medication and special diet, enough to last 2 days.

before she arrived I phoned eastern creek and spoke to someone and explained all her conditions and diet, they put me in touch with a local vet who I could order the diet and they would deliver it to them. As she was arriving on friday and they close to the public on the weekend, they said I could ring later on in the afternoon and see how she was.

When I rang they gave me the kennel maids name and number and times to ring.

Trying to be a none fussy owner I rang once a week and they were really lovely.

well 30 days on and we have our lovely but expensive dog back and she looks better than I could have done, as she is a really stressy dog I was really worried, but no ill effects and she is settling into being an ozzy beach dog.

All I can say is I though this was going to be really stressful and I would prob lose her, but thanks to everyone who got her here, she is a happy waggy dog.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Our story about shipping our dog

Originally Posted by IanJakeCharlieDaddy
Hi I just thought I would add our story to help put people mind at rest if worried about shipping their loved animals over to oz.
I am a vet nurse and our field spainel/ working cocker is 9 years old.

Before we came out, about a mounth before she started to act oddly and after much investigation thanks to insurance, she was diganosed with epilepsy.

Because it wasn't serious my neurolgist was still happy for her to fly, then 3 weeks before she was to go and whilst taking her bloods for export we discovered she was in liver failure and had chornic pacreatsis. This lead to major surgery and nearly loosing her.

Because of her operation we had to delay the export untill after we had gone, but had set everything in place.

We used a company called par air in colchester essex and they where really helpful and really professional. They made her own crate and settled her down the day before she was due to travel.

She was shipped over on lots of medication and special diet, enough to last 2 days.

before she arrived I phoned eastern creek and spoke to someone and explained all her conditions and diet, they put me in touch with a local vet who I could order the diet and they would deliver it to them. As she was arriving on friday and they close to the public on the weekend, they said I could ring later on in the afternoon and see how she was.

When I rang they gave me the kennel maids name and number and times to ring.

Trying to be a none fussy owner I rang once a week and they were really lovely.

well 30 days on and we have our lovely but expensive dog back and she looks better than I could have done, as she is a really stressy dog I was really worried, but no ill effects and she is settling into being an ozzy beach dog.

All I can say is I though this was going to be really stressful and I would prob lose her, but thanks to everyone who got her here, she is a happy waggy dog.
Glad to hear she settled O.K. I know that taking our girl over was definitely the most worrying part of the whole experience and she was absolutely fine.
Tracie
Old Jun 27th 2008, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

The Newmans is an unknown quantity at this point

Great to hear that your dog is well and settling in. I'm torn between taking my staffie who is also 9 this year.
Husband thinks the journey will kill her but I think leaving her behind will be worse, she is my baby
Trying to put it to the back of my mind cause I really don't want to make a decision!! If I have to leave her I will be more heart broken about her than leaving my family..sounds awful doesn't it.
She doesn't travel well in the car so I really don't know how she would cope with the flight.

Zoe
Old Jun 28th 2008, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

Just to add our toy poodle is currently in quarantine and we pick him up next Saturday. We visited him last week and he looked really well, obviously missing us and wondering why the hell he is there and couldn't come home, but he is really well looked after, hadn't lost weight and the kennels were immaculate!
Old Jun 28th 2008, 12:56 am

IanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to all

I felt excactly the same about millie and as she hate loud noise's and gets stressed really easily.
We rehomed her at 4 years old and were already the 3rd home(that we knew about).
I cryed up untill the day she landed with worry she was going to dye on the flight with stress and that she had a heart condition, but it all turned out ok.
I talked to the export kennels at great lengh before deciding to send her and they said if she was 12 then they would prob say not to take her.
You have to do what is best for you and the dog, it is a really hard thing to decide, as they are our babies wahtever anyone says.
I just wanted to tell my story to put anyonesmind at rest if worried abour the flight, considering my dog is a stress head. good luck
Old Jul 1st 2008, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

maxtye has a spectacular aura aboutmaxtye has a spectacular aura aboutmaxtye has a spectacular aura about

Can you give me a rough idea of how much it cost using par air.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

Steveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the rough

Thank you so much for posting that.
We are taking our Golden Labrador and cat who we are adore and couldn't possibly leave behind.

It's good to hear apositive experience.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

tasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of light

I just wanted to say, I have 2 great danes, they won't be coming with us to Oz. One is 9, which is old for a dane - he wouldn't survive the flight. The other is 2 and would stress out without the other. We will be living on the Gold Coast right in the centre so it wouldn't be fair on them. I love them both enormously and they are the only things i will miss. But we want a new life and I will make sure they are rehomed to people who will love them. I know some will think we are heartless but if this is the sacrifice we have to make then so be it. I cannot live my life catering to my dogs, I will cry every night missing them, but its for the best. We cannot afford to bring them, we are going on student visa, and I think (even though it hurts) that its what is best for them.
I envy you people that can take your pets. All the best and give them all a cuddle from me.
Tracy
Old Jul 1st 2008, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Steveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the rough

Hi Tracey
No one thinks you are heartless, I understand it is a great cost, especially great danes and it sounds like you are doing whats best for them. I'm sure you will find great homes for them and they will be extremely happy.

Good luck with everything

Clare x
Old Jul 1st 2008, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

tasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Steveclare
Hi Tracey
No one thinks you are heartless, I understand it is a great cost, especially great danes and it sounds like you are doing whats best for them. I'm sure you will find great homes for them and they will be extremely happy.

Good luck with everything

Clare x
Thank you
I worry about them and how they are going to manage. But I know the breeder we got them off will look after them. Its going to break my heart, but I think everyone that emigrates makes sacrifices and I'm really not close to my family so this is the only thing that is sticking in my throat. I would love to take them with us but its too much. At least £5000, we would be living in the city, studying all day, every day. I'm doing the right thing, doesn't stop it hurting though.
Attached Thumbnails Our story about shipping our dog-023.jpg   Our story about shipping our dog-dsc00310.jpeg  
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by maxtye
Can you give me a rough idea of how much it cost using par air.
It cost us about £1500 with par air, for her size dog, but I also had to do most of the paper work, Which your vet can do for you(Iknow my vets didn't charge for that service, just the bloods, the rabis(which is not needed for austrailia),id chip and that was it.)

When we got here we had £300 from the export kennels in living cost, flea treatment and vet check.

good luck
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by tasmas
Thank you
I worry about them and how they are going to manage. But I know the breeder we got them off will look after them. Its going to break my heart, but I think everyone that emigrates makes sacrifices and I'm really not close to my family so this is the only thing that is sticking in my throat. I would love to take them with us but its too much. At least £5000, we would be living in the city, studying all day, every day. I'm doing the right thing, doesn't stop it hurting though.
It must be really hard, but I think in your case you are doing the right thing as you said 9 is a really good age for a great dane.
It doesn't matter how much you tell yourself you are doing the right thing it will still hurt as they are your babies, but on the up side at least you have a really good home for them and you can always still get updates and photos.
Thinking of you and hope the trip goes really well
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by tasmas
I just wanted to say, I have 2 great danes, they won't be coming with us to Oz. One is 9, which is old for a dane - he wouldn't survive the flight. The other is 2 and would stress out without the other. We will be living on the Gold Coast right in the centre so it wouldn't be fair on them. I love them both enormously and they are the only things i will miss. But we want a new life and I will make sure they are rehomed to people who will love them. I know some will think we are heartless but if this is the sacrifice we have to make then so be it. I cannot live my life catering to my dogs, I will cry every night missing them, but its for the best. We cannot afford to bring them, we are going on student visa, and I think (even though it hurts) that its what is best for them.
I envy you people that can take your pets. All the best and give them all a cuddle from me.
Tracy
Just out of intrest how and what did you get the student visa for, my sister want to come out, shes 21 and want to do midwifery/nursing out here as misses us and wants to be close. I don't know how to go about it and how long the visa will last. Sorry to ask questions just don't know where to start. thanks
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IanJakeCharlieDaddy
Just out of intrest how and what did you get the student visa for, my sister want to come out, shes 21 and want to do midwifery/nursing out here as misses us and wants to be close. I don't know how to go about it and how long the visa will last. Sorry to ask questions just don't know where to start. thanks
Hi
I'm coming out to do hairdressing. There are lots of threads about student visas. Its quick and easy enough to do yourself. However there is a guy called Stefan at www.studyoptions.com. Its free advice with him and he can assist with emigrating on a studen visa. Its an expensive route as courses aren't cheap. You have to do 2 years, and can only work 20 hrs during term time. Also have a look at the DIAC website www.immi.gov.au it takes you through the whole process.
Cheers for your kind words about my babies.