British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Our return to UK is imminent (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/our-return-uk-imminent-675005/)

Pomster Jul 3rd 2010 11:27 am

Our return to UK is imminent

Well as I only came for 2 year secondment in 2000, I guess it has always been on the cards, but now we are only 3 weeks away from being sent back to UK, as my company are recalling and sending all foreigners home.

It took us a while to settle in but lots of friends have been trying to arrange farewells before we go, I realise how settled we have become.

In our 10+years we have:
  • moved house more times than I care to think about
  • got engaged and married
  • had a child
  • got PR and now citizenship
  • had 2 cats
  • had 4 jobs after my initial secondment with my employer
  • had several cars
  • lost 2 parents
  • missed several friends/family weddings
  • hubby made a dramatic career change (insurance to plumber)

Still our time in UK is only intended as a 2 year soujourn which should be enough to decide that we can't wait to get back to Oz (or maybe can't bear to leave UK!).
The only bit that worries me is that I seem to remember saying those precise words to friends at our farewell party in London in May 2000.:D

carolinephillips Jul 3rd 2010 11:38 am

Re: Our return to UK is imminent

Originally Posted by Pomster (Post 8674828)
Well as I only came for 2 year secondment in 2000, I guess it has always been on the cards, but now we are only 3 weeks away from being sent back to UK, as my company are recalling and sending all foreigners home.

It took us a while to settle in but lots of friends have been trying to arrange farewells before we go, I realise how settled we have become.

In our 10+years we have:
  • had a child
  • had 2 cats
  • had several cars
  • lost 2 parents

Still our time in UK is only intended as a 2 year soujourn which should be enough to decide that we can't wait to get back to Oz (or maybe can't bear to leave UK!).
The only bit that worries me is that I seem to remember saying those precise words to friends at our farewell party in London in May 2000.:D

Whatever happens, I hope it goes smooothly. All the best.

renth Jul 3rd 2010 11:52 am

At least you can come back in 2 years. It should be fun. Enjoy!

bcworld Jul 3rd 2010 11:56 am

my company are recalling and sending all foreigners home.

Must've been an unexpected change...weren't you recently house hunting??

Sass73 Jul 3rd 2010 12:57 pm

Wish you all the best Pomster. You've certainly had a fun time here. I hope you had a great time back in the UK

ozzieeagle Jul 3rd 2010 1:23 pm

Blimey how does that feel Pomster Are you looking forwards to it ?

What part you going back to, Not Torton 'eath ?

JAJ Jul 3rd 2010 2:38 pm

If you're a citizen then you're not a "foreigner" so your company can't "send you home."

If you want to go back to the UK then that may be a good choice - but that's what it is - a choice.

kitty4 Jul 3rd 2010 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 8675184)
If you're a citizen then you're not a "foreigner" so your company can't "send you home."

If you want to go back to the UK then that may be a good choice - but that's what it is - a choice.

That's what I thought :huh:
So why are you going back?
All the best to you anyway.

Pomster Jul 4th 2010 10:40 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 8675184)

I am parented by the UK company.
The Aus one is shedding staff by the bucketload (probably 50 pct of the workforce) and will not take me nor any other 'foreign" staff on.
So my choice is resign or head back to UK and hope I am made redundant there as I have quite long service.

Basically we will be no worse off heading back, but could be better off (if I get redundancy which is very likely as I have no job to return to.

And yes we did recently buy a house- ready for when we return but we are renting it out in the meantime....all part of our greater plan.

JAJ Jul 4th 2010 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Pomster (Post 8676548)
The Aus one is shedding staff by the bucketload (probably 50 pct of the workforce) and will not take me nor any other 'foreign" staff on.
So my choice is resign or head back to UK and hope I am made redundant there as I have quite long service.

Basically we will be no worse off heading back, but could be better off (if I get redundancy which is very likely as I have no job to return to.

You probably did well to stay on an expatriate contract for 10 years. You may well wish to view your time in the UK as an extended holiday.

Regarding any potential redundancy payment, it will be taxable in Australia (with offset for any UK tax due) UNLESS you abandon your tax residence in Australia.
http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...11&mfp=001/002

Also consider your health cover ... you can suspend it rather than cancel it and you should take the steps to ensure you don't have to pay an age loading when you return.

No 15 Jul 4th 2010 6:07 pm

In our 10+years we have:
  • had a child
  • had 2 cats
  • had several cars
  • lost 2 parents

And you've managed to write a, very rare, grammatically correct farewell note - well done!

paulry Jul 4th 2010 6:45 pm

In our 10+years we have:
  • had a child
  • had 2 cats
  • had several cars
  • lost 2 parents

Good luck Pomster. I hope you enjoy your time back in Blighty :)

Alfresco Jul 4th 2010 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Pomster (Post 8676548)

And yes we did recently buy a house- ready for when we return but we are renting it out in the meantime....all part of our greater plan.

I hope the greater plan works out for you. :thumbup:

Pomster Jul 5th 2010 10:19 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 8677046)
You probably did well to stay on an expatriate contract for 10 years. You may well wish to view your time in the UK as an extended holiday.

Also consider your health cover ... you can suspend it rather than cancel it and you should take the steps to ensure you don't have to pay an age loading when you return.

Sadly it was never expat salary- you have to be very senior to get that to be transferred to Aus as it is considered a desirable posting. I have been on local terms all the way, but still a great way to road test life over here.

Thanks for your words of advice...will be looking into that. Cheers:thumbsup:

Bermudashorts Jul 5th 2010 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Pomster (Post 8678253)
Sadly it was never expat salary- you have to be very senior to get that to be transferred to Aus as it is considered a desirable posting. I have been on local terms all the way, but still a great way to road test life over here.

Thanks for your words of advice...will be looking into that. Cheers:thumbsup:

So if you were on a local contract, why do you think you have to resign or go back to the UK? :confused: