Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Our rekkie in Perth

Our rekkie in Perth

Old Jun 11th 2004, 8:40 am
Living the Oz lifestyle..

sunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant future
Default Our rekkie in Perth

I thought I'd post our little rekkie experience in Perth as I fell in love with it and am just oozing with enthusiasm for the place.

So here goes....

We returned to the UK mid May from our 2 week rekkie in Oz and to put it mildly we LOVE it! I don't know where to begin to even tell you what a fantastic place it is and what a fabulous time we had. I almost wish we had just done the one way thing, although I think moving to Oz in spring will be much nicer than winter.

Perth is everything and more than I ever imagined. Hubby had been previously 13 years ago on a trip around Oz but even he thought it was better than he remembered. We also met so many friendly people and socialized more in those two weeks than we had in the last two months!!

We decided not to buy a property in our short stay as the stamp duty was being changed whilst we were there. When we return in September we'll rent for 6 months and then start looking to buy something so that we can take our time about it. The houses are fabulous and very spacious, although the gardens are quite small.

We landed in Perth on Saturday 1st of May at 2:30pm after 19 hours flying, (with a 3 hour stop over in Singapore). After going through immigration and getting our entry stamps, (yee-haa!), we were off to a good start as our car hire was upgraded! We set off from the airport to Perth city centre and driving into Perth on a Saturday afternoon we expected to see the place bustling with people, but it was very quiet. It was easy to park, change lanes, turn right from the left hand lane at the last minute because there was no-one around, (not that I normally do that of course, just that we didn't know where we were going). Anyway we bought a mobile phone, which turned out to be a disaster and ended up with it breaking down every time we needed to use it. We had to change it 4 times!!!! Anyway, forget that, it was an irritation but doesn't detract from the fabulous time we had. We left Perth to head off to our accommodation in Sorrento and stopped at the beach en-route to watch the sun setting, which was gorgeous. There was only one other family on the beach to witness it. The beaches have beautiful white sand that's so clean it squeaks when you walk on it. Once the sun sets it gets dark very quickly, the crickets start singing to each other and then, when you look up to the sky, the stars just take your breath away.

The roads are big, open, empty, (except at rush hour early in the morning and then late afternoon), well maintained and clean. Sidewalks are everywhere for people to walk on with no litter to be seen anywhere. There is also a sidewalk that runs all the way along the beach and in the mornings and evenings you see people power walking, cycling, walking their dogs, mums pushing prams etc. There are parks everywhere with kids play areas, mini "lakes" with ducks and brightly coloured parrots flying around wild. It's like a perfect little world. Also, instead of boring pigeons there are pink and grey parrots called Galahs and they are everywhere, just as common as pigeons!
Everyone drives the speed limit as they are seriously hot on speeding and it just isn't tolerated. It's really weird as all the cars are evenly spaced and all going the same speed!! Most unusual to see. The cops are also hot on drink driving and one of our taxi drivers told us he had been breathalysed 4 times the previous evening. Getting breathalysed in the morning is also not unusual.

As for the people, all I can say is they are very friendly. Our first evening we took a walk along Hillarys harbour wall and on our way back there was a young guy setting up some crab pots. He said hello to us and when we stopped we ended up chatting with him for about 20 minutes. We mentioned we were immigrating and he was honestly pleased, (not just like when some people pretend that they are pleased if you know what I mean), wished us well and then proceeded to tell hubby what, where and how to catch crabs when we return. Another day we were walking past some guys barbequing, (don't know how to spell that!), fish and what we found out to be abalone. We chatted with them for a while and then continued walking along. A few minutes later on returning to our car, they asked if we'd ever tasted abalone to which we replied no. They then invited us to join them and eat some abalone and fish, which they had just caught! Now how friendly is that?!!
Another evening we were watching the sunset over the sea, (ok, it was a regular thing that we did but that's cause it's so fabulous!!), and there were some fishermen fishing. We saw one fisherman catch a fish so walked over to see what he'd caught. He was also happy to chat with us and tell hubby where the best fishing is, where he'll catch fish etc. Actually, even when I did some grocery shopping down in Margaret River, the guy at the till started chatting to me and told me where to go and what to see. I also mentioned we were immigrating to him and again, got the "wish you all the best with your move over here" wishes.
When we went to view some 4x4's the dealer started talking to us, again the immigration thing came up and he couldn't be helpful enough with suggestions and encouragement. We mentioned the lack of IT jobs and he was suggesting things that he thought we could do! Anyway, what I'm trying to say is how helpful the aussies are and there really is no bad feeling towards people moving to their country. They just want to help and it's really a "no worries" culture. The people we spoke to really feel you can do whatever you want to.

We went down south to Margaret River for a few fabulous days, (I could tell you more if you want me to), and on our return, as we approached Perth, I said to hubby how much it felt like we were coming home. After such a short period of time we were already feeling so comfortable and the surroundings were already feeling so familiar it really did feel like home. When we had to return to the airport we both agreed that it felt so wrong to be leaving. Weird hey?!

Will continue in a bit....
hope this isn't too boring...
Old Jun 11th 2004, 8:44 am
Visa'd Up Dutch Member

flying dutchman will become famous soon enough

Thanks for your great post. We are over there in about 5 weeks and I am counting the days. Hopefully we'll love it as much as you did...
Old Jun 11th 2004, 8:47 am

sunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant future
Default Re: Our rekkie in Perth

And so the story continues...

We were also looking at motorbikes out in Oz and we've decided on getting trail bikes. Apparently the racing bikes are targeted by the cops for speeding and trail bikes have become extremely popular. We checked out a few and were quite impressed.

Australia as a place to live, I think, is idyllic and to me seems perfect in so many ways. The only down side I can see is work. If you have a career and want to continue it you may be disappointed. Unfortunately there are no jobs for us so we have to broaden our horizons and try something totally new. I really think people that have been able to get jobs before going is like winning the lottery!

So, unfortunately we are back at work, urrggghhh! I'm really finding it difficult and have no enthusiasm. After all, we have lots of planning to do now and I haven't got time for work!! They still don't know although a few people have said, after hearing me rave about Oz, that I will probably want to immigrate - if only they knew!!! We'll be resigning at the beginning of August which just seems soooo far away. I almost felt a bit guilty today as we're starting a new project and I'm heading a part of it. The main work will probably start when we'll be handing our notice in. But as I said, I ALMOST felt a bit guilty, it lasted for about two seconds!
We've given notice on our house, (we're currently renting), and will be moving out at the end of July. We'll resign at the beginning of August and are flying out the 31st of August. I can't wait for this limbo period to end and just want to fast forward to September! I am looking forward to living in Australia but know that we're going to have a couple of difficult months to begin with.

I gotta tell you one more thing and it wasn't funny at the time I can assure you!!! In Oz we didn't see any creepy crawlies and believe me hubby was looking as he likes that kind of thing. Anyway, in Oz we saw only one tinsy winsy little spider that hid away and wouldn't come out even though hubby was desperately trying to encourage it, much to my disgust as you can imagine. Don't worry I was standing right behind him with a hiking boot. I guessed that would do the job pretty well as it's big and heavy!
We landed back in the UK late Saturday afternoon, (15th May), drove home and were absolutely shattered. We decided to get a take away and have an early night. En-route to collect our take away I suddenly saw a big black something move out from behind the sun visor, pretty close to my head. I looked up into the eyes of the biggest black spider I've ever seen in the UK !! All I could do was scream and jumped onto hubby's lap, (who's driving), as far as my seat belt would allow. This screaming didn't bother or scare the bloody spider, oh no, it decided to continue scooting along above my head towards the back seat. By this time I was still screaming and still desperately trying to get onto hubby's side of the car. He didn't know what was going on and kept raising his voice, (ok shouting as he couldn't be heard over my screaming), asking me what the problem was. He pulled over as he thought maybe he'd run over a child or something the way I was carrying on. By the time he pulled over the spider was over the back seat area and looking like it was contemplating hiding. (I guess the screaming had got to it now.) Well that was me, I grabbed a tissue and dived over the seat into the back squashing it in about 1 second flat. That certainly woke me up!!! As for the size of it, it was honestly the biggest spider both of us have seen in the UK and to think it was in our car!!! Scary!

Well, after all that, I hope I haven't bored you too much!!
Sun Chaser

Oh, and by the way... did I mention what a fun/fantastic place Oz is?

PS: Funnily enough, we didn't suffer from jetlag at all. I guess just turning the clock to what ever the local time is and acting accordingly and going to bed when I should and not when I’m tired did the trick!
Old Jun 11th 2004, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

Know where you are coming from...........we LOVED it, I take it you quite liked it!!!!!
Old Jun 11th 2004, 9:05 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you liked it. I also like all the parks and stuff.

Wouldn't describe it as a 'perfect' place though!
To live comfortably, you need jobs...
And you can say you'll do anything, but if they want experience and qualifications for everything.....
I also said I'd do anything, but the signals I'm getting is that even that will be hard. Luckily I'm young(22), and actually have experience with cleaning, waitressing and receptionist jobs.
And I have friends in Perth, so hopefully that'll help.

Oh, and a perfect little world with 5 seriously dangerous criminals running around free??
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=235607
Of course, it's actually not funny, but it sounds so unbelievable Very actually!!
Old Jun 11th 2004, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

Essex Girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sunchaser

That was fantastic.

You have told me everything I wanted to hear about Perth and have been trying to find out from this site for weeks except maybe about schools over in WA but you probably do not have any children.

From your experience do you think it is a great place to bring up children i.e. better than here. Do you think we would be doing the right thing moving two children to Oz - I keep telling myself that they will thank me one day but who knows.

We have an agent who is going to help us get over there (at a cost of course) he is also going to get sponsorship for my hubby in the way of a job as an electrician - do you think there are many jobs for sparks? You probably did'nt notice - why should you -
if you have any other fantastic things to say about Perth please feel free to tell us all as I am sure we do not find it boring at all

Old Jun 11th 2004, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Simone
Glad you liked it. I also like all the parks and stuff.

Wouldn't describe it as a 'perfect' place though!
To live comfortably, you need jobs...
And you can say you'll do anything, but if they want experience and qualifications for everything.....
I also said I'd do anything, but the signals I'm getting is that even that will be hard. Luckily I'm young(22), and actually have experience with cleaning, waitressing and receptionist jobs.
And I have friends in Perth, so hopefully that'll help.

Oh, and a perfect little world with 5 seriously dangerous criminals running around free??
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=235607
Of course, it's actually not funny, but it sounds so unbelievable Very actually!!

Don't frighten her Simone .......... They will catch the criminals (if they have not already) and Sunchaser is so determined to be in Perth with her man that I am sure they will find work of some kind and be lucky - if you really want something desparately enough you will make it work - and when she says perfect little world - living in the Uk as we do I know exactly what she means .....

Keep the stories coming sunchaser - I love hearing them
Old Jun 11th 2004, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by S Oldfield
Know where you are coming from...........we LOVED it, I take it you quite liked it!!!!!

Tell us your story Oldfield ------- I for one would love to hear what you enjoyed about Perth and how different it is from Blightly including the bad things

Old Jun 11th 2004, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by flying dutchman
Thanks for your great post. We are over there in about 5 weeks and I am counting the days. Hopefully we'll love it as much as you did...

Hi,

Are you going to stay or on holiday like sunchaser?

When you come back (if its a holiday) don't forget to tell us all about it.

Old Jun 11th 2004, 9:36 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Essex Girl
Don't frighten her Simone .......... They will catch the criminals (if they have not already) and Sunchaser is so determined to be in Perth with her man that I am sure they will find work of some kind and be lucky - if you really want something desparately enough you will make it work - and when she says perfect little world - living in the Uk as we do I know exactly what she means .....

Keep the stories coming sunchaser - I love hearing them
I thought you wanted the bad and the good.

You can be determined as anything, but that doesn't always help.
Look at abergas and her husband having trouble getting/keeping a job

Don't you think people should be prepared for the bad and good?
Why shouldn't I mention stuff like this????

Have you seen my post in the 'Employment' thread btw?
Old Jun 11th 2004, 9:52 am

Hi,

Simone, gosh, I didn't know about that. Hope they catch them soon, that's quite scary! I know no world is perfect as unfortunately there are dodgy people everywhere.
I am aware that I'm extremely positive and that will never change, but I do have my feet on the ground and hubby's the sensible, cautious one who keeps me on track too!
I'm also fully aware of the job situation, we're not going into this with rose tinted glasses. I really do appreciate the positives AND negatives as it's always easier to learn from other people's experiences. We have gone through many sleepless nights wondering if we're doing the right thing but hey, we only live once and I'd hate to always wonder what it would've been like, so, we're taking that leap. Hopefully we'll land on our feet, if not, hey, at least we tried!
Will be checking out your Employment thread.

Hi Essex girl,
You guessed right, we don't have kids but almost everyone I know of that is moving out there has and are doing it for the kids. It does seem to be an extremely child friendly place. As for schools... to be honest, I have no idea but there must be loads of folk on this site that can guide you to some info.?

As for your hubby, there's loads of work for tradesmen! Only thing is, I believe, he will have to do a test or something to get the Oz equivalent qualification.

Good luck with the agent, how far down the line are you?

Till later....
Sun Chaser
Old Jun 11th 2004, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Simone
I thought you wanted the bad and the good.

You can be determined as anything, but that doesn't always help.
Look at abergas and her husband having trouble getting/keeping a job

Don't you think people should be prepared for the bad and good?
Why shouldn't I mention stuff like this????

Have you seen my post in the 'Employment' thread btw?
No I have not seen your post in the Employment thread btw -- I shall have a look later

sorry if I upset you in any way - I guess your right we do need to hear the good and bad.

It just seemed like you were pissing on our fire works a bit but never mind

Who is abergas and her husband?

What happened to them.......
Old Jun 11th 2004, 10:02 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally posted by sunchaser
Hi,

Simone, gosh, I didn't know about that. Hope they catch them soon, that's quite scary! I know no world is perfect as unfortunately there are dodgy people everywhere.
I am aware that I'm extremely positive and that will never change, but I do have my feet on the ground and hubby's the sensible, cautious one who keeps me on track too!
I'm also fully aware of the job situation, we're not going into this with rose tinted glasses. I really do appreciate the positives AND negatives as it's always easier to learn from other people's experiences. We have gone through many sleepless nights wondering if we're doing the right thing but hey, we only live once and I'd hate to always wonder what it would've been like, so, we're taking that leap. Hopefully we'll land on our feet, if not, hey, at least we tried!
Oh, it's not my thread
And I'm not sure it has anything about IT...

No I have not seen your post in the Employment thread btw -- I shall have a look later

sorry if I upset you in any way - I guess your right we do need to hear the good and bad.

It just seemed like you were pissing on our fire works a bit but never mind

Who is abergas and her husband?

What happened to them.......
You didn't upset me

Pissing on fireworks - what can I say, I like balance.
And I believe jobs are just about the most important thing to have when migrating.
Who cares about parks and fishing and beaches when you don't have a job, or crap wages? You'll soon get sick of the beach then!

Abergas - look up the posts(search function)
Posted a while back that hubby finally had a job again. Now posted in Hevs'good bad, ugly' thread that he's lost it....
Old Jun 11th 2004, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Hi,

Hi Essex girl,
You guessed right, we don't have kids but almost everyone I know of that is moving out there has and are doing it for the kids. It does seem to be an extremely child friendly place. As for schools... to be honest, I have no idea but there must be loads of folk on this site that can guide you to some info.?

As for your hubby, there's loads of work for tradesmen! Only thing is, I believe, he will have to do a test or something to get the Oz equivalent qualification.

Till later....
Sun Chaser
Hi Sun Chaser

It is funny everyone knows someone else who is leaving the UK dont say much for Blightly does it?

Life is not a rehearsal we all have to give it our best shot

I am not even slightly down the line at the moment we are going to see the agent tomorrow - I will come back and let you know what he says to us if you like - he has mentioned that we will get to Oz quicker if we consider a place called perenjori which is somewhere north west of Perth but nobody on here seems to have heard of it and I cannot find it on any maps - Simone thought it may be pinjarra but the agent phoned the other night and asked him about pinjarra which is in the Peel Region but he said it was not - anyway I'll be clearer on Saturday (tomorrow) he did say thought that you can buy land very cheaply in perenjorri to build houses on - something like a dollar a plot (giving it away or what) - anyway who knows - I'll see what he says tomorrow and come back to you.
Old Jun 11th 2004, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Hi,

Hi Essex girl,

Till later....
Sun Chaser
Hi Sun Chaser

It is funny everyone knows someone else who is leaving the UK dont say much for Blightly does it?

Life is not a rehearsal we all have to give it our best shot

I am not even slightly down the line at the moment we are going to see the agent tomorrow - I will come back and let you know what he says to us if you like - he has mentioned that we will get to Oz quicker if we consider a place called perenjori which is somewhere north west of Perth but nobody on here seems to have heard of it and I cannot find it on any maps - Simone thought it may be pinjarra but the agent phoned the other night and asked him about pinjarra which is in the Peel Region but he said it was not - anyway I'll be clearer on Saturday (tomorrow) he did say thought that you can buy land very cheaply in perenjorri to build houses on - something like a dollar a plot (giving it away or what) - anyway who knows - I'll see what he says tomorrow and come back to you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.