Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Our reccie trip so far............Brisbane, G.C, S.C, and Redlands

Our reccie trip so far............Brisbane, G.C, S.C, and Redlands

Old Nov 16th 2005, 12:16 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our reccie trip so far............Brisbane, G.C, S.C, and Redlands

Originally Posted by brisnick
but it doesn't pay well, so unless you are set up before you come over, that kind of job isn't going to support a family.
Like i say its all about life choices.

You obviously like going to gigs and weekenders which probably chews up alot of your money. Ive had 18 years of clubbing from the warehouse parties in blackburn (the best years of my life so far bar none) to the hacienda and lived in london for 2 years and went to ministry and all the other fantastic clubs. 3 years ago i had a heart operation, 2 brain ops and nearly died from it as i had sub acute bacterial endocarditus, from a dodgy tooth and a sore throat!!! All those years of clubbing never killed me, how ironic!!

That brush with death changed my life for the better. As soon as i stopped clubbing i had money in my pocket for the first time in my life and saved up enough to start a barbers shop £1,500 to be precise. I now employ 3 people who pay me rent where i make about £200 quid a week without even working. Doesnt sound alot, but my outgoings are tiny. All because i started to make the right choices of what i wanted from life, invested well and it paid dividends.

I now save up for things that make me happy in other ways. I have an R6 motorbike 3 holidays a year, go diving, and have paid to emigrate to oz, and just had a 5 moth RTW trip. earlier this year. All on 200 quid a week. Not bad eh? The operations were a touch on my shoulder i firmly believe to calm my life, and now i can enjoy it in so many other ways.

Why did you move to Australia?

Im sure it wasnt to be stuck in the city when in your admission you would rather be in mooloolaba. What line of work are you in that you cant be that flexible to move to somewhere that youd love to be. Why dont you change jobs. You have no kids, so why cant you afford to live up here?

Are you just solely driven by money, as you are dead a long long time, and its no use working that hard to get to retirement and to look back and say "where did that time go?"

Dont knock others dreams please. Other people may have the noggin to come up here where there is less work than the city, and make something out of it. Negative comments give people second thoughts instead of letting people know if it worked only when they have tried, not from someone who hasnt been there seen it done it and got the tshirt.

alk :scared:
Old Nov 16th 2005, 12:19 pm
Banned

alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rooksie
oh no!!! i thought you had an update for us, oh poop!!
What do you want to know and i will specifically search for it for you, we have a week on saturday to go.

al
Old Nov 16th 2005, 12:38 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

We have enough dives to dive under 18 mtr's anyway but we still need to do the wreck course as is the easiest way for us to convert to PADI. We have checked it all out with local dive centre and main PADI organisation.

Our UK dive operation was club based so tickets even though they are for more than PADI is offering run out in January so want to convert so we can just have hassle free diving and still be covered insurance wise.

Glad the wreck course is good as looking forward to it.

Must admit we still like the North Brisband coast the most just shame all the locals go to bed early, they need to get a life but we will liven the area up a bit.

My husband says he likes your bike, will have to get him into the barber business as he fancies some R1200 GS BMW trail bikes for when we have money to waste again.......ohhh!!!! the fantasy jobs and spare cash... .

PS/

Would rather have the cash and no jobs but can't have everything in life we are here and that is what counts for now. Will have to buy a lotto ticket for this weeks Aus 15,000,000 you never know this week may be our week .
Old Nov 16th 2005, 12:39 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alkristensen
What do you want to know and i will specifically search for it for you, we have a week on saturday to go.

al

oh i just love reading your posts on this thread matey. we had all but decided that sunshine coast was for us and you have confirmed it with this thread!! however if youve got time to check out some catholic schools that would be neat!!

oh and can you let us know where you settle because my husband really needs to stop cutting his own hair :scared: :scared:
Old Nov 16th 2005, 1:00 pm
Banned

oh i just love reading your posts on this thread matey. we had all but decided that sunshine coast was for us and you have confirmed it with this thread!! however if youve got time to check out some catholic schools that would be neat!!

oh and can you let us know where you settle because my husband really needs to stop cutting his own hair :scared: :scared:
Im sure we saw a catholic school or college in buderim today. Thats a great little village, 4 mins out of mooloolaba with loads of all the shops you need and banks and a woolies. University up the road in sippy downs and a tafe too We were surprised how big it actually was and very green too. Very nice and we will look into it more wen we come back here when we move. We are going to rent for 6 months to a year so that we can check up as far as rockhampton just to make sure LOL. We will probably end up in brisbane after all this !!! LMAO

I think jadnrich would be the best to ask for schools as we aint got kids yet, thats next, they have 3 and live around the corner from where we are staying, so jadnrich if you fancy a pint and a slag off richard greeeeegan evening then give me a shout as we are here til sunday.

Funnily enough there is a barbers shop for sale in caloundra down the road, est 35 yrs giving up for bad health,ocean front low overheads for $50,000 for the business. Not bad at all for the position alone but i dont want the resposibility when i get there of running a business but i will take a beer for a cut when i get out there!(not a scooner a proper pint!!)

ps like your old sig better. Moving the building to the left sketch i mean.

al.x
Old Nov 16th 2005, 1:03 pm
Account Closed

ps like your old sig better. Moving the building to the left sketch i mean.

al.x

yeah that was a goodie wasnt it!!!

thanks for the info
Old Nov 16th 2005, 1:03 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

not trying to knock peoples dreams. i hope they all work out. but i seem to find a lot of people think australia is paradise..... and it's not. but it does have benefits over living in the uk (it also has the opposite too).

and i didn't intentionally move to australia. i just ended up here without a reason to go back.

i'm not just driven by money, i'd rather be enjoying life. but you need money to bring up a family (which one day i hope to have). and i'd rather move to cairns than mooloolaba, but there's even less work there for me!!!

i hope everyone finds what they want, but just like to make sure people are aware that australia isn't a paradise!

Dont knock others dreams please. Other people may have the noggin to come up here where there is less work than the city, and make something out of it. Negative comments give people second thoughts instead of letting people know if it worked only when they have tried, not from someone who hasnt been there seen it done it and got the tshirt.

alk :scared:
Old Nov 16th 2005, 1:50 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by brisnick
not trying to knock peoples dreams. i hope they all work out. but i seem to find a lot of people think australia is paradise..... and it's not. but it does have benefits over living in the uk (it also has the opposite too).

and i didn't intentionally move to australia. i just ended up here without a reason to go back.

i'm not just driven by money, i'd rather be enjoying life. but you need money to bring up a family (which one day i hope to have). and i'd rather move to cairns than mooloolaba, but there's even less work there for me!!!

i hope everyone finds what they want, but just like to make sure people are aware that australia isn't a paradise!
Its not just dreams its ambition and the willingness to adapt and make something out of nothing. Good on you if you are saving up for a family. Why dont you try saving up for you now. Get yourself sorted move to somewhere you like and then save for a family.

You didnt say what line of business you are in?

Why isnt Australia paradise? WHY ARE YOU SO BOTHERED ABOUT GETTING YOUR CITIZENSHIP IF YOU DONT LIKE IT HERE. It may not be for you, but there are plenty of people that it suits right down to the ground.

Hands up everone!

al
Old Nov 16th 2005, 1:51 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by annqldau
We have enough dives to dive under 18 mtr's anyway but we still need to do the wreck course as is the easiest way for us to convert to PADI. We have checked it all out with local dive centre and main PADI organisation.

Our UK dive operation was club based so tickets even though they are for more than PADI is offering run out in January so want to convert so we can just have hassle free diving and still be covered insurance wise.

Must admit we still like the North Brisband coast the most just shame all the locals go to bed early, they need to get a life but we will liven the area up a bit.

My husband says he likes your bike, will have to get him into the barber business as he fancies some R1200 GS BMW trail bikes for when we have money to waste again.......ohhh!!!! the fantasy jobs and spare cash....

PS/

Would rather have the cash and no jobs but can't have everything in life we are here and that is what counts for now. Will have to buy a lotto ticket for this weeks Aus 15,000,000 you never know this week may be our week .
Originally Posted by annqldau

My husband says he likes your bike, will have to get him into the barber business as he fancies some R1200 GS BMW trail bikes for when we have money to waste again.......ohhh!!!! the fantasy jobs and spare cash... .

PS/

If youve dived Uk quarries and stuff you should be accredited with instructor at padi by default,brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr and cant see an inch in front of you LOL

Barber pay is sh1t in general. I prefer the people that work for me to earn everything that they work for, as they are doing all the work. I rent the chairs out for very lttle. Money doesnt concern me, treating customers like people and having a laugh at work is more important to me than money. They are the core values to my business.

Doing a good job and opening late every day an doing the little things that no one else local does makes a difference to people. We creatre a fun atmosphere where people like to come. Look after the customers and the money wll follow not forget about them and treat them like crap cause youve made a bit.

Tell your fella thanks but
I dont like Bmw s im afraid, but each to thier own. The boxer engine just doesnt look right in my eyes, although maybe the dirt bikes may look nicer.

The R6 is the fastest thing ive evr had its like time travel honestly. Maks you feel more than alive i can tell you!!!

Deception bay is the only bit we missed. Why did you move there, and whats the hospital like that you work in? Would you like to be a patient there?
Whats the hospitals speciality as i will need another heart op in 10-15yrs, can you recommend anywhere ?????

alk.x
Old Nov 16th 2005, 1:57 pm
Banned

hAVE YOU TRIED WWW.WHEREIS.COM.AU THEY MAY HAVE SOME INFO, OR THE WHITE PAGES. bEST STILL JUST ASK ON HERE

BUGGER CAPS LOCK ON!!

ALK
Old Nov 16th 2005, 2:02 pm
Banned

oh no!!! i thought you had an update for us, oh poop!!
THERE YOU GO.X

http://www.sensis.com.au/search.do;j...SUNSHINE+COAST
Old Nov 16th 2005, 2:53 pm
Account Closed

HEY!!!!! thats great!!!! id send you some more karma if i could!!!! 10/10 you go to top of the class
Old Nov 16th 2005, 4:06 pm
Account Closed

Vic&jase is an unknown quantity at this point

al
Hi Al,

Did you stop anywhere near Glass House Mountain area on the way up? Huzza and I were originally looking at Buderim but have a feeling it will be too far North for the moment (although would love to go further North by choice). Afraid it may be a bit dead though.

We hear that North of Brissy is developing like mad at the moment? anyone else care to comment, please feel free x

Vics xx
Old Nov 16th 2005, 4:13 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Vic&jase
Hi Al,

Did you stop anywhere near Glass House Mountain area on the way up? Huzza and I were originally looking at Buderim but have a feeling it will be too far North for the moment (although would love to go further North by choice). Afraid it may be a bit dead though.

We hear that North of Brissy is developing like mad at the moment? anyone else care to comment, please feel free x

Vics xx

i hope it is developing like mad and they need lots of plumbers - well actually just one!!!!
Old Nov 16th 2005, 5:35 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

I grew upon a council estate, and have worked hard to get to this stage of my life at 34. Now all we are going to do is enjoy.

Keep your negative thoughts away from my posts. This is happiness to us. As i said, i have lived in moss side in manchester........ A few idiots and binge drinking teens(happens all over the world) isnt going to make the beach ANY LESS BEAUTIFUL. There is no graffitti anywhere, the place is spotless and yes the wages are crap, but all you have to do is spend less!

You only live once.

alk
Alk this is one of the best posts i've seen on here, good luck with everything and enjoy.

Kay

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.