Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Our real life in Sydney

Our real life in Sydney

Old Mar 16th 2006, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice
Default Our real life in Sydney

We moved to Sydney from Auckland 6 months ago. We are originally from the UK but have been away from UK for nearly 4 years now. This our experience of living in Sydney.

Getting jobs was easy for myself and husband ( IT and finance industries). Jobs salary wise and skill wise are on a par with what we were doing in London and far superior to what we earned in NZ. Have not found the business practices 'out of touch' at all.
Finding a rental was a nightmare - the process is much better in the UK.
Houses are as expensive to buy in Sydney as they are in London. Just as we wouldn't be mortgage free in London with a swimming pool we won't be in Sydney.
We work similiar hours to what we did in the UK ( 40 - 45 hrs per week)
Public transport and traffic can be a pain but it was in the UK.
Brilliant clothes shopping and loads of choice in Sydney - same as London.
Weather is superb - not remotely like the UK!!!!
Have met 'good' aussies and 'arsehole' aussies - same as the UK people.
Huge selection of restaurants and types of cuisine in Sydney - same as London.
Despise and hate paying the road tolls in Sydney - I pay enough tax not to have to pay for using the motorways.

I guess what I am trying to say is that if you think moving to Oz will dramatically change your life you really are likely to be dissapointed. Life in Oz and really in any first world country is much the same and people have the same gripes be they living in Canada, the US, Oz or the UK. We like it here but really had zero expectations other than the weather will be nice.

Be real with your expectations, in fact keep your expectations to 'we will be living a similiar life in Oz to what we do in the UK but with better weather and the opportunity to do more outside activities, if we should want to, but sometimes we are just too tired from everyday life to do much more than flop in front of the TV'
Old Mar 16th 2006, 9:46 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our real life in Sydney

Originally Posted by hubbard
Be real with your expectations, in fact keep your expectations to 'we will be living a similiar life in Oz to what we do in the UK but with better weather and the opportunity to do more outside activities, if we should want to, but sometimes we are just too tired from everyday life to do much more than flop in front of the TV'
lol - ain't that the truth
Old Mar 16th 2006, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

it_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to all

I guess what I am trying to say is that if you think moving to Oz will dramatically change your life you really are likely to be dissapointed. Life in Oz and really in any first world country is much the same and people have the same gripes be they living in Canada, the US, Oz or the UK. We like it here but really had zero expectations other than the weather will be nice.
'
This is exactly our own expectations. The weather will be better anything else is a bonus. I'm in IT too (Oracle DBA), and agents seem reasonably interested even though I don't leave until next week (already have one promising interview lined up).

If push comes to shove, then we'll come back in 6 months or a year, having had a "gap year" 20 years too late!! ;-)
Old Mar 16th 2006, 10:25 pm
ABCDiamond

We moved to Sydney from Auckland 6 months ago. We are originally from the UK but have been away from UK for nearly 4 years now. This our experience of living in Sydney.

Getting jobs was easy for myself and husband ( IT and finance industries). Jobs salary wise and skill wise are on a par with what we were doing in London and far superior to what we earned in NZ. Have not found the business practices 'out of touch' at all.
Houses are as expensive to buy in Sydney as they are in London. Just as we wouldn't be mortgage free in London with a swimming pool we won't be in Sydney.
Despise and hate paying the road tolls in Sydney - I pay enough tax not to have to pay for using the motorways.

Very good post on Sydney, (I lived down there for many years) sent you some karma for it

Old Mar 17th 2006, 7:13 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Our real life in Sydney

Excellent points, and a great post.

It's also worth bearing in mind that if you choose to live in the largest capital city, with the most expensive property prices in the nation, the busiest roads and arguably the highest population density, you can expect a much tougher ride than most other people in the country.
Old Mar 17th 2006, 7:18 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Hey Hubbard, Googd post.
Old Mar 17th 2006, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice

Thanks for the karma and kind comments. Was really posting in response to 'Living the dream in Bondi But' post. I have to say that I thought both sides of the thread were pretty inaccurate and both massively over generalised good points and negatives points of Oz.

I just find it really sad to read about people's disillusionment with their new life in Oz, as we all know the struggle and cost to get here. But I think alot of people's expectations are just not realistic about what their life in Oz will be like. Yes, there are the few that will change their lifestyle completely and go from being an accountant in Reading to a rancher on a cattle ranch in the outback but for most your life will continue in pretty much a similiar vein as to the UK, in terms of working, doing house chores, looking forward to weekends and vacations etc. Same goes for finances you may have a slightly larger house but for most you won't have a sea view or a pool, and to be honest I really think people's first priority in their move to Oz is assuring they pick a destination that will provide good career opportunities in their field as opposed to cheap housing. A common factor which seems to sour people's experiences in Oz is work - if you go from a reasonably enjoyable UK job to a crappy position I really think it will quickly begin to colour your view on Oz and not assist you in settling.

It's a nice place Australia, with a wealth of things to experience, but in living here I deal with pretty much the same shitty every day issues as I did in the UK.

Last edited by hubbard; Mar 17th 2006 at 9:45 am.
Old Mar 17th 2006, 10:04 am
Jonah & Suzie's Daddy!!!

Sir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud of

Thanks for the karma and kind comments. Was really posting in response to 'Living the dream in Bondi But' post. I have to say that I thought both sides of the thread were pretty inaccurate and both massively over generalised good points and negatives points of Oz.

I just find it really sad to read about people's disillusionment with their new life in Oz, as we all know the struggle and cost to get here. But I think alot of people's expectations are just not realistic about what their life in Oz will be like. Yes, there are the few that will change their lifestyle completely and go from being an accountant in Reading to a rancher on a cattle ranch in the outback but for most your life will continue in pretty much a similiar vein as to the UK, in terms of working, doing house chores, looking forward to weekends and vacations etc. Same goes for finances you may have a slightly larger house but for most you won't have a sea view or a pool, and to be honest I really think people's first priority in their move to Oz is assuring they pick a destination that will provide good career opportunities in their field as opposed to cheap housing. A common factor which seems to sour people's experiences in Oz is work - if you go from a reasonably enjoyable UK job to a crappy position I really think it will quickly begin to colour your view on Oz and not assist you in settling.

It's a nice place Australia, with a wealth of things to experience, but in living here I deal with pretty much the same shitty every day issues as I did in the UK.
excellent post hubbard ....don't you find that the posters most disillusioned seem to think of oz in the same way the old gold prospectors must have done many years ago.....some seem to think there life will change so drastically ....but why do we go through the tra process???? to be able to carry on with the same job we did in the uk ....just in a different place ...it maybe sunnier .... but then it's the heat ,tropical storms ,mozzies ,snakes,spiders,termites .... i think some people will be disillusioned wherever they choose to settle