Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

our options have widened

our options have widened

Old May 14th 2005, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

lightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nice
Default our options have widened

Hi please help make a decision.

when we first looked into moving to OZ two years ago we wanted to go to Sydney cos we got freinds there. We faild the points test, so that was scupperd. The agent said that we might be able to go to Adelaid on an stni visa so we set the ball rolling.
We done loads of reserch on adelaide and had made our minds up that, thats where we were headed to.
Then my trade goes onto the MODL list and we get enough points to go anywhere in OZ. Im not complaining!!!
during the two year period we met loads of people who are going to perth. so we had a look at peth as well.

the big question is bearing in mind we have never been to Oz . whats yer thoughts on Sydney Vs Adelaide Vs perth?

many thanks

RoB>>>>>>
Old May 14th 2005, 7:55 am
wombat42

Default Re: our options have widened

Melbourne
Twice voted the worlds most liveable city.
the best way to make your mind up is to visit the places if possible.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302855

Last edited by wombat42; May 14th 2005 at 8:11 am.

Old May 14th 2005, 10:26 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lightr0d2o

when we first looked into moving to OZ two years ago we wanted to go to Sydney cos we got freinds there. We faild the points test, so that was scupperd. The agent said that we might be able to go to Adelaid on an stni visa so we set the ball rolling.
We done loads of reserch on adelaide and had made our minds up that, thats where we were headed to.
Then my trade goes onto the MODL list and we get enough points to go anywhere in OZ. Im not complaining!!!
during the two year period we met loads of people who are going to perth. so we had a look at peth as well.

the big question is bearing in mind we have never been to Oz . whats yer thoughts on Sydney Vs Adelaide Vs perth?

many thanks

RoB>>>>>>
Sorry to put a dampner on your question but it is imposable to answer that question for you.

How many people on this forum alone love Perth then how many hate Perth, the same for Melly, Sydney etc etc.

You and only you can answer that question.

I would striongly recommend a reccie trip to anywhere before making the move, even a reccie will never show you what it will really be like to live anywhere but it is better than nothing.

My personal oppinion is that anyone who packs up there whole life and moves somewhere thay have never been to is they are mad.

I had been to where I live 4 times befeor and my husbnand is from here so I thought I knew as much as I needed to know, I was proved very wrong in a matter of weeks and it has taken me 7 months to start thinking that this twn is actually OK.

Cheers
Kala
Old May 14th 2005, 10:49 am
Shaz

Shazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant future

Hi Rob,

we originally wanted to go to the sunshine coast ( after going there on holiday ) but as my hubbys job wasn't in demand there, we're now off to Adelaide. We have never been there but have had loads of positive feedback & we are really looking forward to going there.

I think that your the only person who can make the decision as to where to go but it does help when people give you positive feedback, good luck
Old May 14th 2005, 10:56 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

one of the factors for us choosing Western Australia (not necessarily Perth itself) was the amount of space that Perth, Bunbury etc etc have to grow.
Old May 14th 2005, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JayDeee
Sorry to put a dampner on your question but it is imposable to answer that question for you.

How many people on this forum alone love Perth then how many hate Perth, the same for Melly, Sydney etc etc.

I would striongly recommend a reccie trip to anywhere before making the move, even a reccie will never show you what it will really be like to live anywhere but it is better than nothing.

My personal oppinion is that anyone who packs up there whole life and moves somewhere thay have never been to is they are mad.

I had been to where I live 4 times befeor and my husbnand is from here so I thought I knew as much as I needed to know, I was proved very wrong in a matter of weeks and it has taken me 7 months to start thinking that this twn is actually OK.

Cheers
Kala
This is a very considered and stable approach - but what happened to 'what the hell' and sponteneity. I feel this is all about new beginnings and you can never ever know if a place is really for you until you live there, even with a reccie trip. Alot of people can't afford reccie trips, just like we can't afford to do the validation trip - our validation trip is when we move lock stock and barrel. We are going to Melbourne because we have family there, but plan to visit all the other places and if another one suits us better then that is where we will head. We have been to Melbourne on a holiday and absolutely loved it. I felt like I had come home, so I can't imagine wanting to live anywhere else, but you never know

Good luck with it all though

Sarah
Old May 14th 2005, 11:10 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

I must be mad then as I've never been to Australia!!!!!
Old May 14th 2005, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

caz41 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JayDeee

Cheers
Kala
We had never visited came with my husbands job, have felt mad at times, but have never regretted it, you only live once.
Old May 14th 2005, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

Quokka will become famous soon enoughQuokka will become famous soon enough

many thanks

RoB>>>>>>

Whats your trade?
Old May 14th 2005, 4:35 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Quokka
Whats your trade?
probably a plumber, every other tradesman here is a plumber
Old May 14th 2005, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

lightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nice

Hi all thanks for the replies so far.
Im a plumber by trade and my wife is a hair dresser, we have two teenage daughters.
I understand that it is only us who can make the decision on where is best for us. perhaps i should have asked what made you guys pick the area you live in and what are your circumstances.
or what shines for you in your local area.
and yes WE are probably very mad, I hope they dont pick it up on the meds.....

many thanks ROB
Old May 14th 2005, 4:45 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridiej
I must be mad then as I've never been to Australia!!!!!
Neither had we when we made the decision to move. And if I hadn't failed ACS first time around, we wouldn't have gone to visit before moving there.
Old May 14th 2005, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

joanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud of
Smile Re: our options have widened

Im a plumber by trade and my wife is a hair dresser, we have two teenage daughters.
I understand that it is only us who can make the decision on where is best for us. perhaps i should have asked what made you guys pick the area you live in and what are your circumstances.

many thanks ROB
Welcome! from one plumber to the next (well plumbers wife actually)!! definitely seems to be loads of plumbers opting for the new life in Oz! We haven't got a clue where to go in Oz either! went there on a visit at Christmas stayed in Sydney first week, nice place but too busy like London! went South Coast the following week very nice and then Canberra for christmas and new year. We actually liked Canberra (have relatives there) but no beach! Everyone I speak to thinks we will be mad to live in Canberra, don't know where to go? have been drawn to Brisbane, sunshine coast area only because it has had good reviews by everyone but haven't actually been there, also have a 13 year old, 10 and 4 year old so it has to be someone that they will like and fit in. Wished we had done this before the eldest hit his teens because he is now settled at school with friends etc and it will hit him hardest! How old are you girls?
keep searching on here and i'm sure you will get some positive replies!!
Jo
Old May 15th 2005, 1:10 am
aussie73

Because of how expensive Sydney real estate is your probably better off moving to Perth or Adelaide. For example $400,000 would only be enough to by a house in a crap outer western suburb of Sydney, but would be enough to buy a house in a nice suburb of Perth or Adelaide.

Old May 15th 2005, 1:40 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Deciding where to go for us was easy - we'd visited Sydney before and felt at home and happy here. There's also only me and 'im to worry about, so we could afford to please just us. Although Mr GG is an engineer and, from a career point of view, it might well have made more sense to head to Melbourne. But he found work here easily enough, so what you do for a living doesn't have to dictate where you end up.

Ideally, heading to Aus and visiting the places you're considering would be the best way to research. But if that's really not on the cards, using the internet to gather facts rather than opinion is a good way to go. Think about what you want from Aus and then look at the different places (council websites, career ones, real estate ones etc etc) to see what you think might best match what you hope for. But remember where there are advantages in one place, there might also be drawbacks - it's a trade off. For example, we feel Sydney has a lot going on in terms of nightlife etc and that's important to us. Downside is the cost of living (comparable to the UK to my mind). But, hey, it suits us!

Just remember we're all a bit biased as to where we are and why on here .

Good luck!
GG

many thanks ROB