Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Our journey to Perth and Perth Airport

Our journey to Perth and Perth Airport

Old Jun 20th 2006, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Our journey to Perth and Perth Airport

This might be a bit mixed up - I'm typing it up quickly at an internet cafe ($4 per hour) which is a 15min walk from our apartment. Broadband in our apartment is very very expensive 59c a min or $27 for the day.

The journey with Singapore Airlines
Our friends dropped us off at airport. We had 2 trolley with our bags on and our 4.5yr pushed his little brother in the stroller to the check-in counter.
We did online check in with Singapore Airlines 40hrs before we flew and our seats had already changed from what we have previously reserved. It was very efficient at Heathrow. We hadn't got our car seats wrapped but the lady at the checking counter gave us some black bags and tape and we wrapped them up. They have a lounge after you present your boarding pass - so you get to sit down before you enter the plane. It was a fairly old plane - had purple seats. It had footrests - which is nice. it was a 747-400. The entertainment system was Wiseman3000.
The kids got a toy gift each. One got a peak cap with spongebob and the other got slippers with spongebob. Bring your own crayons as we didn't get any on the flight.

The kids didn't get their kiddie meals - there was some kind of mix up and someone else got them. They were very apologetic. They got adult meals each instead.

The airhostess looked lovely in their dresses, they are really petite and beautiful. The stewards are also colour coded by jackets.
Big tip - take reins for toddlers - we didn't get a stroller at Singapore airport as it was raining buckets when we landed so they couldn't get it out for us. They do have strollers but they didn't have any available for us to use. I had to go the transit counter and make sure that they check our stroller in to the next flight to Perth. So I left hubby with 2 toddlers and our hand luggage. When I got back after 15min - 2yr old had a bloody mouth and grazes on his arms as he ran off on the travellator and hubby had to leave hand luggage an chase him. Our hand luggage got loaded onto a trolley and was almost taken away.

They have water fountains in the transit area - there was one right outside the gate as you get off the plane. It is something you don't think about - but when I toddler is thirsty and wants a drink now - they mean NOW!

Our 2.5yr old slept only 1hr of the flight from UK-Singapore. Our 4.5yr old slept 3hrs of the flight. Our little one had really bad tantrums and he was quite hard to control. I had to keep taking him to back of plane. Luckily there were some really nice Australian women that helped me a bit and kept me sane during a very stressful flight.

On the flight to Perth our kids slept the whole way as they were shattered.
They give a lot of chocolate to the kids with their kiddie meals - so we had to try quickly snatch them away as chocolate makes them a bit hyper!
They got another spongebob toy each. One got a pencil case and the other a puzzle.

A nice tough on the flight from Singapore to Perth was that the airhostesses made a point of remembering my boys' names. So they could call them by name. the plane also had purple seats and seemed more spacious than the first flight.

You get socks and a toothbrush on the international flight from UK - Singapore. They also have toothbrushes, razors and combs in the amenity drawers on the planes for both the flights.

At Perth Airport

On the flight you fill in an immigration card - have to put passport numbers, what you are bringing in etc. We filled them in for kids as well but at Perth the lady at passport counter said we didn't need to.

long queue for non-Australian passport holders. But as we got closer a lady divided us up and made both the queues even. We handed over our passports and it was straight forward. Then we collect our bags which came through straight away and they were all next to one another lined up. Our stroller was next to it on the floor. We went through nothing to declare. They lady looked at our immigration card asked us if we had any food and I said no that we'd left everything on the plane like they had said to do.

Our bags were then x-rayed. And given back to us.

My hubby's boss was there to meet us and he took us back to our serviced apartment.

When I get chance I'll come back to internet cafe and let you know how we have got on in past few days in Perth.

In short - we love it and we know we have made the right decision - I'm happy to call Perth my new home
Old Jun 20th 2006, 11:43 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Our journey to Perth and Perth Airport

Welcome to Perth
If you have a library near where your staying then goto that for free tinternet . You will need to join it 1st i think.
Old Jun 20th 2006, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luma
This might be a bit mixed up - I'm typing it up quickly at an internet cafe ($4 per hour) which is a 15min walk from our apartment. Broadband in our apartment is very very expensive 59c a min or $27 for the day.

Our friends dropped us off at airport. We had 2 trolley with our bags on and our 4.5yr pushed his little brother in the stroller to the check-in counter.
We did online check in with Singapore Airlines 40hrs before we flew and our seats had already changed from what we have previously reserved. It was very efficient at Heathrow. We hadn't got our car seats wrapped but the lady at the checking counter gave us some black bags and tape and we wrapped them up. They have a lounge after you present your boarding pass - so you get to sit down before you enter the plane. It was a fairly old plane - had purple seats. It had footrests - which is nice. it was a 747-400. The entertainment system was Wiseman3000.
The kids got a toy gift each. One got a peak cap with spongebob and the other got slippers with spongebob. Bring your own crayons as we didn't get any on the flight.

The kids didn't get their kiddie meals - there was some kind of mix up and someone else got them. They were very apologetic. They got adult meals each instead.

The airhostess looked lovely in their dresses, they are really petite and beautiful. The stewards are also colour coded by jackets.
Big tip - take reins for toddlers - we didn't get a stroller at Singapore airport as it was raining buckets when we landed so they couldn't get it out for us. They do have strollers but they didn't have any available for us to use. I had to go the transit counter and make sure that they check our stroller in to the next flight to Perth. So I left hubby with 2 toddlers and our hand luggage. When I got back after 15min - 2yr old had a bloody mouth and grazes on his arms as he ran off on the travellator and hubby had to leave hand luggage an chase him. Our hand luggage got loaded onto a trolley and was almost taken away.

They have water fountains in the transit area - there was one right outside the gate as you get off the plane. It is something you don't think about - but when I toddler is thirsty and wants a drink now - they mean NOW!

Our 2.5yr old slept only 1hr of the flight from UK-Singapore. Our 4.5yr old slept 3hrs of the flight. Our little one had really bad tantrums and he was quite hard to control. I had to keep taking him to back of plane. Luckily there were some really nice Australian women that helped me a bit and kept me sane during a very stressful flight.

They give a lot of chocolate to the kids with their kiddie meals - so we had to try quickly snatch them away as chocolate makes them a bit hyper!
They got another spongebob toy each. One got a pencil case and the other a puzzle.

A nice tough on the flight from Singapore to Perth was that the airhostesses made a point of remembering my boys' names. So they could call them by name. the plane also had purple seats and seemed more spacious than the first flight.

You get socks and a toothbrush on the international flight from UK - Singapore. They also have toothbrushes, razors and combs in the amenity drawers on the planes for both the flights.

At Perth Airport

On the flight you fill in an immigration card - have to put passport numbers, what you are bringing in etc. We filled them in for kids as well but at Perth the lady at passport counter said we didn't need to.

long queue for non-Australian passport holders. But as we got closer a lady divided us up and made both the queues even. We handed over our passports and it was straight forward. Then we collect our bags which came through straight away and they were all next to one another lined up. Our stroller was next to it on the floor. We went through nothing to declare. They lady looked at our immigration card asked us if we had any food and I said no that we'd left everything on the plane like they had said to do.

My hubby's boss was there to meet us and he took us back to our serviced apartment.

When I get chance I'll come back to internet cafe and let you know how we have got on in past few days in Perth.

In short - we love it and we know we have made the right decision - I'm happy to call Perth my new home
Your local library will have free internet when you join.If you are in the centre of Perth then the state library (alexander library )has around 10 terminals but they are usually busy.State library is in northbridge,get to the train station and walk 150 metres over the bridge and there it is,if you finish up in Myer turn around and walk the other way.Usually it is full of o/seas students,hope all turns out well and welcome to Perth,even if it is bloody freezing.
Old Jun 20th 2006, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks - I found out total from hubby's employment agency about the library. Our closest library is Subiaco library and it is also a 15min walk and we have to book an hour at a specific time. At the moment everything is happening so fast so we're quite happy with internet at murray street lodge.
Old Jun 20th 2006, 11:54 am
aka bunja

Off2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond repute

At Perth Airport

Hi Luma,

Great to see you are now in Perth I didn't realise you were going so soon!

Let us know how you are getting on with everything and how you and kids are settling in.

We have two kids also. One is 5, the other is 3.

WHEN we get there we'll have to meet for a coffee!!!!

Good luck and speak soon

Janine
Old Jun 20th 2006, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

shade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really nice

Originally Posted by KevinJanine
Hi Luma,

Great to see you are now in Perth I didn't realise you were going so soon!

Let us know how you are getting on with everything and how you and kids are settling in.

We have two kids also. One is 5, the other is 3.

WHEN we get there we'll have to meet for a coffee!!!!

Good luck and speak soon

Janine
Bit of a shock getting off at the airport and no brass band playing hey!Now the fun begins.
Hope you settle ok.
Sue.xxx
Old Jun 20th 2006, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of

At Perth Airport

Great to hear from you Luma. Can't believe your boys had such little sleep on the plane. I'm praying my little one will sleep most of the way What time did you fly? Nice to hear you feel you've made the right decision already. Keep us posted.

Leigh
Old Jun 20th 2006, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

wren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to all

One hours kip on a twelve hour flight :scared: What time were the flights? I gave my two PHENERGAN for travel sickness and it also has a mild sedative effect

later in the year when we went on a four hour flight I thought I wouldn't bother as the kids travelled so well to Oz. BIG BIG mistake, wide-eyed and puking all the way

Glad you are there safe and sound. Keep us up to date with how you are getting on.

Take care

Wren x
Old Jun 20th 2006, 3:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

So glad you made it to Perth, you need a medal for traveling with your little ones. I wondered if you had landed yet.
I shall open a bottle of bubbly in the bar to celebrate for you.
Hope you settle in to your new life.
Hope you are no longer stressed.
Mandy
Old Jun 20th 2006, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wren
One hours kip on a twelve hour flight :scared: What time were the flights? I gave my two PHENERGAN for travel sickness and it also has a mild sedative effect

later in the year when we went on a four hour flight I thought I wouldn't bother as the kids travelled so well to Oz. BIG BIG mistake, wide-eyed and puking all the way

Glad you are there safe and sound. Keep us up to date with how you are getting on.

Take care

Wren x
Hi wren,would phenergan be suitable for an adult like me to take.i want to take something that will take the edge of fear off but still be capable of managing a conversation with the kids and the hubby(if i must).x Irishblo-is it overthecounter
Old Jun 20th 2006, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

MJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond repute

At Perth Airport

Lovelypost,We will be in perth from 20 august
I have a 3 yr old who has never flown before (not looking forward to it)
Enjoy your life in perth
Keep us postd
Jo
Old Jun 20th 2006, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

wren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to all

Hiya Irishbloo,

Yes you can take it as an adult, I think you can get it in tablet form as well as liquid. Available over the counter- £2.55 for 100mls.

Our GP prescribed it for the kids, he said to take it the night before journey then before each flight. I only gave it twice and that was more than enough. They weren't sonked out or anything, just chilled

I would recommend, if you are going to use any medication, that you try it a few days before the flight. Side efects such as hyperactivity have been known

Me I'm sticking to booze

Wren x
Old Jun 20th 2006, 6:57 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Luma,

can't believe you've already arrived in Perth (and I'm still here, boohoo). Congratulations !!!

Just for the future: whereabouts is the internet cafe in Perth (when we were on our visa validation trip I couldn't find one)?

All the best with settling in.

Gina
Old Jun 20th 2006, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

stacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Luma it was great to read your post, glad you arrived safely in Perth. What was the kids reaction to there new home like? Keep us updated.

Stacey xx
Old Jun 20th 2006, 8:02 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Good informative post....thanks for sharing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.