Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

#Our House has no locks!

#Our House has no locks!

Old Dec 3rd 2005, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: #Our House has no locks!

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Not sure if you bought are renting, but if you are renting then you can just speak with the real estate agent requesting that window locks be put on as you are unable to get insurance other wise. The owners should come to the party.
Yeah you're right, the agents should be responsible for sorting out some kind of locks if not security as well... check your rental agreement, its ridiculous to have no locks!
We had window locks put on our rental windows, the agent insisted, but also used those metal curtain poles which go between the tracks, stops the windows being opened from the outside.
Some flyscreens are secure, depends on whether you have the toughened security stuff, bolted into the frame, plus the frame has to be prevented from being lifted out. Diamond grills are also pretty good, especially if you can lock them with a key, rather than snip locking them.
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

lock collector is a jewel in the roughlock collector is a jewel in the roughlock collector is a jewel in the roughlock collector is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Larissa
Some flyscreens are secure, depends on whether you have the toughened security stuff, bolted into the frame, plus the frame has to be prevented from being lifted out. Diamond grills are also pretty good, especially if you can lock them with a key, rather than snip locking them.
Sorry to say no flyscreens are secure, no matter how super duper the spec, the locks are still crap and easily defeated.

Paul
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lock collector
Sorry to say no flyscreens are secure, no matter how super duper the spec, the locks are still crap and easily defeated.

Paul
Well, yeah you could say that but I'd argue that most of our burglaries are committed by teenagers/opportunists after a quick easy entry - they are a pretty good deterent if you consider that most other people don't have them, the petty crims will go elsewhere but nothings gonna stop your determined/experienced burglar. Having said that there are some screen fitters who will fit triple locks etc. which has got to be better than nothing. Another thing is that they'll go through the roof if they're that bothered, being single story and not lined like UK roofs it's a possibility but again they might rather go through a window instead of going through cobwebs and insulation material. I'd rather have something rather than nothing!
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 4:42 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Our place - and lots around it - has bars across the windows. They're painted white, and though it took a while to get used to them, we now don't notice they are there. Gives you a good feeling of security when you know you can go to bed with the windows open, owing to the bars and flyscreens being there.
Don't know why they are there, its never been a real crime area, its almost as if they were the "in thing" at one time.
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 9:37 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
eh? But its not a myth, it's happened. Someone has no locks.
I've never heard of any myths like that.

I never lock my car in my driveway.
What I wrote was...

It's almost like the Urban Myth that it never rains or gets cold in OZ

Thats what I wrote. I didn't say the Urban Myth was about the chap having no locks on his house.

I think you misunderstood? I meant an urban myth regarding the fact that you dont need locks because no one gets robbed, not that he had no locks. I know he didnt because he had just told everyone

Old Dec 3rd 2005, 10:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janeyray
I meant an urban myth regarding the fact that you dont need locks because no one gets robbed, not that he had no locks.

I know, I was just pulling your chain.