Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Our First Brush with Australian Medicare

Our First Brush with Australian Medicare

Old Feb 12th 2005, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

jwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura about
Default Our First Brush with Australian Medicare

I know there are many differing opinions on the Oz V Uk medical system, but we had to put it to the test last week and I must say our experience has been briiliant.

My son complained to me about a lump he had found on his head, on investigation I found another lump in his head and one on the back of his neck. Feeling quite alarmed I took him straight down to the doctors (I couldn't find the number so drove straight there without an appointment). The receptionist said if i didn't mind waiting the doctor could see us soon. We waited about five minutes.

She gave him a very thorough examination, she also found some more, unfortunately his symptoms to her suggested he may have Hodgekins disease.

She arrange for blood tests and xrays to be done straight the way at a nearby hospital.

From the time of the visit to the doctors 4.00pm Thursday we was back home by 5.30pm. Having all tests completed.

All the results were to be sent to the doctors, (from previous experience in the Uk i was expecting it to take a week).

Needless to say we didnt sleep well that night. Its times like this that you do realise how far away everyone is. I wanted to pick up the phone and speak to someone about it, but felt that it would be extremely unfair to put that burden on family in the UK as they would feel so helpless.

10.00am Friday morning ( 18 Hrs from when we first walked into the doctors surgery) we received a phone call from the doctor. - not the receptionist ! Thankfully the results have so far come back negative. He has been given some medication and must go back on wednesday for more tests if the lumps have not gone.

Those eighteen hours were agonising, but I feel i have absolutley nothing but praise for the medical service so far.

P. S. Also Everything was also bulk billed so we didnt have to pay a penny
Old Feb 12th 2005, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Our First Brush with Australian Medicare

Thats very reassuring news. So glad your son is OK.
Old Feb 12th 2005, 8:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jwinch
I know there are many differing opinions on the Oz V Uk medical system, but we had to put it to the test last week and I must say our experience has been briiliant.

My son complained to me about a lump he had found on his head, on investigation I found another lump in his head and one on the back of his neck. Feeling quite alarmed I took him straight down to the doctors (I couldn't find the number so drove straight there without an appointment). The receptionist said if i didn't mind waiting the doctor could see us soon. We waited about five minutes.

She gave him a very thorough examination, she also found some more, unfortunately his symptoms to her suggested he may have Hodgekins disease.

She arrange for blood tests and xrays to be done straight the way at a nearby hospital.

From the time of the visit to the doctors 4.00pm Thursday we was back home by 5.30pm. Having all tests completed.

All the results were to be sent to the doctors, (from previous experience in the Uk i was expecting it to take a week).

Needless to say we didnt sleep well that night. Its times like this that you do realise how far away everyone is. I wanted to pick up the phone and speak to someone about it, but felt that it would be extremely unfair to put that burden on family in the UK as they would feel so helpless.

10.00am Friday morning ( 18 Hrs from when we first walked into the doctors surgery) we received a phone call from the doctor. - not the receptionist ! Thankfully the results have so far come back negative. He has been given some medication and must go back on wednesday for more tests if the lumps have not gone.

Those eighteen hours were agonising, but I feel i have absolutley nothing but praise for the medical service so far.

Very interesting, good to know, hope it all works out ok.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Feb 12th 2005, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

nursenancy has a spectacular aura aboutnursenancy has a spectacular aura aboutnursenancy has a spectacular aura about

You poor things! Glad to hear all's ok over there. X
Old Feb 12th 2005, 8:58 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hiya jwinch,
it was a good quick service you had, the kind that the NHS don't give!

Hope all goes well and the lumps go down for your son.

Did he have an allergic reaction? (I had lumps come up all over and a small dose of antihistamine they went down!)

Bye
Mark
Old Feb 12th 2005, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

jwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by markeh
Hiya jwinch,
it was a good quick service you had, the kind that the NHS don't give!

Hope all goes well and the lumps go down for your son.

Did he have an allergic reaction? (I had lumps come up all over and a small dose of antihistamine they went down!)

Bye
Mark

Unfortunately no, its the lymph nodes in his head and neck have swollen up to the size of marbles, but as he is not showing any sign of infection anywhere (Which could be a probable cause) they are very concerned.

He has been on antibiotics since thursday to try and rule out infection, at the moment (Saturday Night) they have made no difference.
Old Feb 12th 2005, 10:22 am
Merlot

Hope everything is OK? Yes I have had some excellent service over in Australia.

Good that you were able to find bulk billing Doc's, they were getting rare down in Sydney/surrounding areas.

I don't know but on previous occasions when I had to have say blood tests or x-rays, etc I found a bill form Douglass Hanley Moir Pathology or the like in the mail a few weeks later.

Was I unlucky or does this happen?

M

Old Feb 12th 2005, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merlot
Hope everything is OK? Yes I have had some excellent service over in Australia.

Good that you were able to find bulk billing Doc's, they were getting rare down in Sydney/surrounding areas.

I don't know but on previous occasions when I had to have say blood tests or x-rays, etc I found a bill form Douglass Hanley Moir Pathology or the like in the mail a few weeks later.

Was I unlucky or does this happen?

M
No, not unlucky - it depends on whether the Path Lab/X-ray people bulk bill or not.

For all tests ordered within a hospital you don't see or pay the bill. Tests ordered by a GP (like blood tests, X-rays, Pap smears) may or may not be bulk billed. For example Sydney X-ray (of which there are dozens) bulk bill but some labs don't and they send you the bill in the mail. You can still claim the bills on Medicare, though.
Old Feb 13th 2005, 8:46 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by nickyc
No, not unlucky - it depends on whether the Path Lab/X-ray people bulk bill or not.

For all tests ordered within a hospital you don't see or pay the bill. Tests ordered by a GP (like blood tests, X-rays, Pap smears) may or may not be bulk billed. For example Sydney X-ray (of which there are dozens) bulk bill but some labs don't and they send you the bill in the mail. You can still claim the bills on Medicare, though.
This has answered the question.

Thanks nickyc.

Merlot