Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Our first 2 weeks in Oz

Our first 2 weeks in Oz

Old Jul 25th 2004, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

BandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Our first 2 weeks in Oz

Hi there

Well we arrived in Brisbane on the 8th July and have been living down in Tweed Heads ever since. We are renting a caravan at the moment and to say it is cramped is an understatment.

Still, we have brought a car and are just waiting to move into our first home, a brand new property situated in 2 and a half acres of land in the Bonogin Valley (81 kms south of Brisbane).

On Friday we are travelling to Sydney as our 2 dogs and 2 cats will be finishing their sentance at the quarantine station the following Monday. They have all coped brilliantly and we cant wait to get them home.

I will post some pics of the house once we have moved in.

If any of you live down this way (Coolangatta up to Surfers) we would love to get together.

Sharon
Old Jul 26th 2004, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

bob and ginnie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default living in caravans

Good for you!
My wife and I plus our young son of 18 months in nappies at the time lived in a 16' caravan in Tasmania for 9 months, as we built our house on 5 acres by hand.
I heard lots of people "doing it tough" like living in caravans, garages, etc. with kids and they all seemed to make it as long as there was light at the end of the tunnel . . . in your case, a house to shift into in a few weeks time.
It's cramped, it's tough, but hang in there!
It'll be worth it. Trust me.
Bob and ginnie
Old Jul 26th 2004, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

BandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: living in caravans

Originally posted by bob and ginnie
Good for you!
My wife and I plus our young son of 18 months in nappies at the time lived in a 16' caravan in Tasmania for 9 months, as we built our house on 5 acres by hand.
I heard lots of people "doing it tough" like living in caravans, garages, etc. with kids and they all seemed to make it as long as there was light at the end of the tunnel . . . in your case, a house to shift into in a few weeks time.
It's cramped, it's tough, but hang in there!
It'll be worth it. Trust me.
Bob and ginnie
Thanks for that...we know it wont be long. Our solicitor is trying to get it finilised by the end of this week.

Sharon
Old Jul 27th 2004, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all
Default Re: Our first 2 weeks in Oz

Originally posted by Pasquill
Hi there

Well we arrived in Brisbane on the 8th July and have been living down in Tweed Heads ever since. We are renting a caravan at the moment and to say it is cramped is an understatment.

Still, we have brought a car and are just waiting to move into our first home, a brand new property situated in 2 and a half acres of land in the Bonogin Valley (81 kms south of Brisbane).

On Friday we are travelling to Sydney as our 2 dogs and 2 cats will be finishing their sentance at the quarantine station the following Monday. They have all coped brilliantly and we cant wait to get them home.

I will post some pics of the house once we have moved in.

If any of you live down this way (Coolangatta up to Surfers) we would love to get together.

Sharon
Hiya Sharon
We will be arriving in October. Let me have you phone number when you move in and I will call you when I arive.

Plumber should be arriving soon though.

Take care
Debs
Old Jul 28th 2004, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

bob and ginnie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default cheap house and car finance

Sharon!
my wife's car has just been playing up and it's now 9 years old with 340,000 kms on the clock since we bought it new. Time to trade it in! We owe a bit on our house with the Commonwealth Bank still, but mates at work are telling me to get a loan on my house for the car thro' "Member's Equity"
Basically, since 1989, everyone employed gets a % of their wages/salary . . . . paid by the employer . . . . into a superannuation account, so they can have funds when they retire some time in the future.
Over the past few years, all the super funds across Australia have built up enormous savings of around $600 billion. Some of the people running the super funds have thought up the idea of channeling some of that money into a scheme to give affordable housing loans and personal loans to the employees having a % of their wages put into a super fund. It's run by ALL the super funds that chose to participate, so that the people who have superannuation accounts with the super funds can access this money.
All you have to do is log onto the website for more details.
www.membersequity.com.au
or ring 13 15 63 for more details.

I thought of you guys buying a new house and having to trapse all over town to get the best deal on financing a new house.
The banks charge an "establishment fee" (Commonwealth Bank is $600)
The banks also charge 7.07% on a standard variable interest rate home loan.
together with "account keeping fees" each month, as well (Commonwealth put an extra $8 a month to your loan, for this privilege)

With Member's Equity, there's no establishment fee, no account keeping fees each month and only a standard 6.57% on the loan.

Gotta be worth a phone call?????

Good luck
Bob and Ginnie