Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Our first 2 months in Oz

Our first 2 months in Oz

Old Jan 1st 2005, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice
Default Re: Our first 2 months in Oz

Hi Trood, and a Very Happy New Year to you.
I am fairly new to site and haven't seen your previous posts but just wanted to thank you for sharing your experiences. As someone starting out its good to hear the good and bad of the early days coz you never really know if you are making the right decision. it feels right, but to be aware of the highs and lows you can try and prepare yourself. You sound as if you are having a fab time and I wish you well. Good luck, health and happiness to you and your family for 2005, love chris and family.
Old Jan 1st 2005, 1:45 pm
In Brisbane at last!!!

shecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the rough

Hi Troood,
Very glad to hear you are enjoying your first few months in Oz!
Sounds like you have everything sorted out and that Oz is everything that you wanted it be - good for you!!
Happy New Year to you as well.
Shell
Old Jan 1st 2005, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

cat5 will become famous soon enoughcat5 will become famous soon enough

Hi Troood

Great post, i'm really interested in the area your in at the moment, as we are planning a validation visit around the 6th feb, the place you was staying at at carrum was it ok? and would you reccomend it?

At the moment we are checking for the best deal's for flights, hire car etc, we are planning to go for 3 weeks.

Happy new year

cat5
Old Jan 1st 2005, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

lovely to hear all is well with you and your family, well done and all the best for the year 2005
Old Jan 1st 2005, 7:36 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Good onya Trood.

Great to hear it's going so well for you and the family.

Paul.
Old Jan 1st 2005, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

wannabee auzzies is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Our first 2 months in Oz

Hi Troood, happy new year to you and your family.
Thankyou for such a well balanced insight into your first weeks, a really great
read. After reading so many negative threads on here lately was starting to ?
our decision and enthusiasm however, you`ve just brought all that back into
perspective, thanks.
We are getting visas validated end of feb with trip to Melbourne with final move in sept. Decisions on suburbs/areas to check out proving a major issue
how did you decide on Mornington?
Look forward to further updates on your move. Good luck.
Dave.
Old Jan 1st 2005, 10:04 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

well done Trood, great post, cant wait to get to melbourne, we will be arriving on 4th Feb 2005 and can hopefully meet up with you all to share our experiences over a beer or three!!!

goodluck for the NewYear

laura& JC
XXX
Old Jan 1st 2005, 10:37 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
well done Trood, great post, cant wait to get to melbourne, we will be arriving on 4th Feb 2005 and can hopefully meet up with you all to share our experiences over a beer or three!!!

goodluck for the NewYear

laura& JC
XXX
Trood - glad to hear things are going good

Laura - Are you ? Great !!! Did I send you that PR stuff??

Cas
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 10:51 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Trood - glad to hear things are going good

Laura - Are you ? Great !!! Did I send you that PR stuff??

Cas

hi cas

no you havent sent me the PR stuff yet, so get a hurry on girl!

Hows things with you? haventbeen on here for a while, due to packing up and moving out etc....has everything all come through yet?

Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread, tell me when you PM me!

Trood -
I will PM you also as i need to ask you some things....

laura
xxxx
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 1:11 pm
Me, 2 kids and the wife

clevs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Troood
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE. Not sure how many of you will remember me as it feels like forever since I've been able to log on to this site. Have had problems with logging on since arriving in Oz. I've been able to browse but not add any messages. At last it's all sorted and I thought I'd start the new year with a new thread.

We arrived in Melbourne on the 4th Nov. Flew with Singapore Airlines and they were brilliant. Stayed for two nights in Singapore and it really helped with the journey (and a two year old little boy!!).

Not sure whether it was the long journey, but my first impression of Oz wasn't how I expected it. Mind you - the Nepean Highway certainly isn't the most scenic of routes to drive!!

We stayed in an apartment on the beach in Carrum cause I stupidly thought we'd need to be by the sea to relax and recover from the journey. Oh how foolish was I!!!! We didn't seem to have a moment to relax so sitting on the beach wasn't really an option.

We blitzed everything, looked for a car to buy, registered for TFN, medicare, sorted out our bank accounts then viewed rental properties to find somewhere to live. Having never been to Oz we spent quite a bit of time driving around areas trying to decide where to live.

We put in an application for a place near to the city but the owners wanted us to sign up for 12 months. Then we drove over to a place called Mornington and fell in love with it. So we are now renting a place literally 8 mins walk from a gorgeous beach and harbour and 5 mins walk from shops, cafes, restaurants. After our first two hectic weeks we then spent another week furnishing the house. This should have been fun, but dragging a bored, frustrated 2 year old round the shops was no easy ride and it therefore made it a little tough going at times.

Now .....2 months on and we've settled in well. We've met up with Andy & Kath from this site who live a stones throw away from us and they've been an absolute godsend (hi to them both if they are reading this). They arrived a few months before us so were really helpful with advice and lending us bits and pieces.

Mornington is wonderful and I think what has really helped us settle in is the friendliness of literally everyone we meet. Perhaps it's the lovely weather but everyone is happy and seem to want to talk to you.

My life has changed more than Paul's. He is a carpenter and has got more work than he can cope with. I've given up my career to move out here and spend time being a full time Mum. Thats been a massive change for me and at times I wonder whether it is something I will enjoy long term. Don't get me wrong, I love being with my son everyday and walking our dog to the beach - but it's so different from what I'm used to and I do miss the day to day contact with clients and colleagues from work. Whilst the sun continues to shine I'm sure I'll be happy - winter weather might bring a different story!!

We are very lucky in that we have made some friends already - thats vitally important for us to help us settle, as we had very close friends and family back home. We had a party last night to celebrate New Year and everyone made a real effort which was great. However I still woke up this morning and shed a tear or two for my nearest and dearest back home. What makes it harder is that we've had some bad news from friends back home and it makes you feel helpless that you can't do anything to help from such a distance.

Are we happy - Yes. Quality of life is radically different here and it is all that we hoped for for our son. He has adjusted well and loves the outdoor life the weather provides him. My husband loves it here and says he never wants to leave. Some might say he's in the honeymoon period, but who cares - it's great to see him happy. I'm happy as well. There are moments when I feel totally contented and almost euphoric. But there are also moments when I yearn for those that I have left behind. I expected this so am taking each day as it comes (something that I never did in the UK).

We didn't run away from the UK for any negative reasons - we had a good life there but we love an adventure and wanted to try something new. This is an adventure and we take the rough with the smooth.

It's now 2005, new year, new challenges etc etc. We feel very priveleged to be able to do this. Getting the visa, selling the house was tough - but it was worth it. Even if we only stay for a couple of years at least we've done it and given it a go. The world is a big place and we might decide to live and experience another country and culture. Who knows. Life is for living and thats what we are doing - hopefully giving our child the best childhood we can.

This site helped me along the rollercoaster ride whilst waiting for our visa. If I can help anyone else out there then let me know- would love to return the favour.

In the meantime - be happy, hang on in there and all the best for a happy and healthy 2005 xxx
Hear Hear
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lauralollipop

goodluck for the NewYear

laura& JC
XXX
what an excellent day to go anywhere...its my birthday! so have all the visas been sorted etc? that seems to have gone really quickly