Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Our experience of Perth hospitals

Wikiposts

Our experience of Perth hospitals

Old Nov 8th 2006, 1:39 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our experience of Perth hospitals

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Renth, can I ask you how much you were out of pocket?
I don't know, the Mrs deals with that sort of thing. It was hundreds, not thousands. I don't know, couple of hundred maybe, three hundred. something like that...
Old Nov 8th 2006, 1:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - I kind of thought this.

The reason I told them was because the thought went through my mind that I could get done for fraud if I'd not declared it.

How long does it take for the bills to start coming in?
Its not fraud, the brissy hospitals even have a form which offers you a choice.

In emergency a person will get the immediate treatment needed there and then. I think this example always sums it up well, Suppose someone has a heart attack, all will be done to stabalise that person asap, but suppose that person needs some corrective surgery thats where the private comes into play, the person with private is going to get it done months if not years ahead of the person on medicare. And months even weeks in matters like that count!!
Old Nov 8th 2006, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

As soon as the first invoice arrives I'll be calling the hospital and quoting the ABC website. I just wish I could find out if this is enshrined in legislation somewhere!
Hi
Before you call them need to read this.

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/wc...ere_public.htm

This briefly explains the requirement for you to sign an election form as one of the three fundememental principals of the Australian Health Care Agreements

You should then read this -

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/wcms/publishing.nsf/Content/health-ahca-agreement.htm/$FILE/westernaustralia.pdf

which is the Australian Health Care Agreement between the Commonwealth of Australia and the State of Western Australia 2003-2008, paying particular attention to part 6 "Eligibility, Patient status, referrals and election", sections 38,39,41,42 and 43. And Schedule E Admitted Patient Election process, 2d and e.

If you weren't asked to sign anything ("elect") then they have not fulfilled their obligation under the AHCA which explicitly states:

38. Western Australia will ensure that all eligible persons elect to receive admitted public hospital services as a public or private patient. This election will be exercised in writing before, at the time of, or as soon as possible after admission and must be made in accordance with the National Standards for Public Hospital Admitted Patient Election Processes as set out at Schedule E.

good luck

mark
Old Nov 9th 2006, 1:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody hell renth I am scared witless now lol. arrrrrrr.. Thanks for the answer NKSK.

My brother in law had a heart op on Medicare Here and he didn't pay too much. It was a major job too and they got him in fast. Within three months.

So if I slip and brake my leg then will I have to pay in the hospital for that?

If I need a heart op will I have to pay for that?
Or should I just got the insurance anyway just to be safe.

OMG my other half went to have his crown put back on cos it feel off. Isn't it a lot of money here. God! I thought that we were being robbed by Dick Turpin or Ned Kelly lol.

Trying not to get ill lol

lace xx
Old Nov 18th 2006, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Just an update on this - two weeks later and we haven't received a bill.

So I'm being cautiously opptimistic that she was admitted as a public patient.

Big lesson learnt though - emergency admission - always opt for public admission.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Just an update on this - two weeks later and we haven't received a bill.

So I'm being cautiously opptimistic that she was admitted as a public patient.

Big lesson learnt though - emergency admission - always opt for public admission.

How's she doing?
Old Nov 18th 2006, 7:17 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
I think you can get really strong mesh that almost curves inwards onto the trampoline. Our friends have one and it's made in New Zealand.
Quite liked the look of these things, don't know if it's the same thing you're referring to or not...

http://www.springfreetrampoline.com.au/
Old Nov 18th 2006, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
Quite liked the look of these things, don't know if it's the same thing you're referring to or not...

http://www.springfreetrampoline.com.au/

Yes - we've got one. But she went through the door!!
Old Nov 18th 2006, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
How's she doing?
Doing great thanks - another two weeks for the plaster to be on.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 8:19 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes - we've got one. But she went through the door!!

DOH!
Old Nov 18th 2006, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Mark you are a star!

The following is the most important:

"When you book in or are admitted to a public hospital and you have private health insurance, you will be asked if you want to be treated as a public or private patient. You will be asked to sign a 'patient election form' to indicate this. It's your choice and the hospital is required to explain the implications of that choice for you."

I was not asked if I wanted to be treated as a publc or private patient (I was just asked if we had insurance).
I was asked (Freo Hospital) if I wanted to be treated as a public or private patient. I arrived in the emergency ward from a smaller hospital and knew that I will have to spent a few days in hospital although I didn't know for sure what was wrong with me.

I asked them what is the difference between public + private in my case. Part of the answer was that I could choose my doctor and get a single romm if there is one vacant. I don't know any doctors so it was irrelevant. I stayed as a public patient.

For a carpal tunnel operation I went private, never again if I didn't need it urgently. I had about $350 out of pocket costs, after medicare + private health fund had paid their share. We have the highest hospital cover.

One bill came the next day (I got 3 bills, one for usage of the theatre, one from the surgeon and one from the guy who knocks you out who was the most expensive of the lot). And then you wait that your health fund or medicare pays and if they don't pay quick enough, you get a nasty letter from the surgeon.

Last edited by Evelin; Nov 18th 2006 at 8:45 pm.