Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Our experience of Perth hospitals

Wikiposts

Our experience of Perth hospitals

Old Nov 5th 2006, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

by the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: Our experience of Perth hospitals

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Daughter (4 yrs) fell of the trampoline yesterday (yep, we are beating ourselves up about it and will continue to do so for a long time) - very obvious break of the wrist (ulna and radius).

Took her to PMH in Subiaco.

I suppose it reinforced my thoughts of the similarities between UK and Australia. Very similar experience to visits to UK hospitals.

A&E packed - 3 hour wait. Triage nurse obvlious to the pain that my daughter was in - dealing with someone who didn't look too distressed.

Anyhow, a very good nurse noticed my daughter within minutes and she was taken straight through. We spent two and a half hours in A&E being x-rayed, given morphine and, it has to be said, waiting for a doctor, operating theatre availability and a porter (a la NHS).

Finally taken up to operating theatre where things began to improve - primarily because my daughter was dosed up and went under for the theatre procedure.

My view on the following may change depending on if any complications develop. The surgeon was excellent, the anaesthetist superb the radiographer was excellent, the nurses in theatre and on the ward were excellent. I had full confidence in them.

I actually felt that the nurses were better than my expereinces in the UK primarily (I think) becauase their workload was lighter (and rightly so). They attended to my daughter every 20 minutes or so, checking her fingers administering pain killers etc and were excellent to me (I stayed overnight) also.

I felt that the ward was more dilapidated than I was used to in the UK. The nurse carried a huge torch on night duty (do they do this in the UK?!) which seemed a bit archaic but was no problem. Toilet in the ward was very clean but were pretty dire in the main hospital (even the ones next to theatre).

Medical insurance - I told them that we were with HBF when I arrived and just accepted that we were going to be out of pocket. But I don't know if we will be charged - the nurse asked me to sign a form and said that it would be all be covered by medicare - but I was in a bit of a dazed state so I'm not too sure.

My daughter was placed on a ward - I suppose I could have invoked the "We have private medical insurance and we'd like a single room" but I didn't - primarily because it was late, we were only going to be there for one night and I thought that it would be better for her if she saw other sick kids rather than be isolated.

One interesting point. I know from the experience of others that we would have been questioned quite intensely by authorities in the UK for injuries to a child. We never got asked a thing other than "how did it happen?"
I had an accident here in Rocky and had emergency surgery.The hospital was fantastic. I spent 5 days in Rockhampton base hospital and in every way it was excellent.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 12:05 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our experience of Perth hospitals

Trouble is, she didn’t lie – it was the two of us who were negligent.

Don't be too hard on yourself. My daughter once fell down the stairs in England, top to bottom. I was stood at the bottom and could do nothing. Even if you had been out in the garden chances are you wouldn't have been able to catch her.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 12:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Don't be too hard on yourself. My daughter once fell down the stairs in England, top to bottom. I was stood at the bottom and could do nothing. Even if you had been out in the garden chances are you wouldn't have been able to catch her.
There's a place in the England 11 for you northernbird.

You're being way too hard on yourself Nisky.
Still, it gave me a tear in my eye when my daughter had a needle whacked in her.

It was probably quite obvious that you were not responsible for the injury.

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 5th 2006 at 8:42 pm. Reason: edited at posters request
Old Nov 5th 2006, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond repute

Trouble is, she didn’t lie – it was the two of us who were negligent.

You can't watch them every second of the day, try not to blame yourselves.

Hope she is feeling better soon
Old Nov 5th 2006, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

You're being way too hard on yourself Nisky. Still, it gave me a tear in my eye when my daughter had a needle whacked in her.

OK - fair enough

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 5th 2006 at 8:43 pm. Reason: quote edited at Badge's request
Old Nov 5th 2006, 1:35 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

You're being way too hard on yourself Nisky. Still, it gave me a tear in my eye when my daughter had a needle whacked in her.

tad inconsiderate don't you think. Huge difference between a major fracture of the wrist and subsequent surgery to a vaccination.

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 5th 2006 at 8:46 pm. Reason: quote edited at Badge's request following apology
Old Nov 5th 2006, 6:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

tad inconsiderate don't you think. Huge difference between a major fracture of the wrist and subsequent surgery to a vaccination.

I think that both of the examples given indicated that people can feel very strongly about any type of pain that their child might go thru, and that it doesnt matter how big or small a deal it might seem to someone elese, it is still distressing for the parents.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 6:59 pm
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
I think that both of the examples given indicated that people can feel very strongly about any type of pain that their child might go thru, and that it doesnt matter how big or small a deal it might seem to someone elese, it is still distressing for the parents.
fair point. was somewhat irritated but the Oscar comment and put keyboard in gear before brain!
Old Nov 5th 2006, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously forgot all the rolleyes, smiles, shruggy symbols on that post. What I meant to say was that I sympathised, it was bad enough seeing her upset over a needle let alone a fracture. Methinks I am the one who should get a nomination.

Sorry to Nisky.

And I liked the post about the hospital observations.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Nov 5th 2006 at 8:26 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 8:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Live and learn - any way to get the thread deleted mods.?
Mods. It's too good a post to have removed. Just remove all my offending comments - and this one - but check with NKSK as to what he would like to do as its his call.

Apologies again.

B
Old Nov 5th 2006, 8:41 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Mods. It's too good a post to have removed. Just remove all my offending comments - and this one - but check with NKSK as to what he would like to do as its his call.

Apologies again.

B
If you want a thread edited, please report it or pm one of us so that we know about it - its pure luck that I'm reading this, and we could easily have missed the request to edit!!!
Old Nov 5th 2006, 8:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If you want a thread edited, please report it or pm one of us so that we know about it - its pure luck that I'm reading this, and we could easily have missed the request to edit!!!
sorry Poll. Sorry to you too. I don't know, I get a night off, and I'm off.
I'm firmly back in my basket.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 8:48 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

No worries, editing done Its just that we can't read everything and often miss stuff people want us to see!!!

Big hugs to the little injured trampolinist
Old Nov 5th 2006, 9:08 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the good wishes folks.

The fact that the two of us were in tears for most of the evening probably made the doctors realise that we felt complete and utter responsibility by not supervising her properly. Brings tears to my eyes just typing this....there's a lesson for you all - always, always, always supervise your kids on the trampoline. We were away for about 5 minutes. (scaling a bloody fish for dinner) - and only nipped inside because we had safety netting completely enclosing the trampoline and so felt that they were safe.

Thank God she didn't land on her head.
I don't think you should be beating yourself up - even if you'd been there, would it have stopped the accident happening? Probably not (unless you could have thrown yourself inbetween your daughter and the ground)

The important thing is you made sure she received prompt treatment!

Its reassuring that you've had a pretty much positive experience (as positive as these things can be)
Old Nov 5th 2006, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

You have apologised, thats enough, we all say things in the spare of the moment.
It makes you a decent person for admitting you where wrong.
Im sure nsks will see that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.