Our experience of Oz so far

Wikiposts

Our experience of Oz so far

Old Jan 25th 2004, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

keith (UK) is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Our experience of Oz so far

Dear all,

My wife and I moved over from England to Oz a few months back, and just as we used the info from this website before we moved, I thought it might be useful if we wrote back to britishexpats.com with our experiences so far.

We are living in Ballarat, a city about an hour inland from Melbourne. We chose Ballarat simply because we wanted to be close to (but not in) Melbourne.

It is summer at the moment, and the weather is good. We had some lots of research before coming over, and I so the move has been fairly successful so far. There are a few points I would make though:

- The banks here are really really bad. We had a tough time trying to choose someone to bank with, and in the end we just had to go with the better of all the evils! We had opened an Online Saving Account with HSBC before we came out, which turned out to be the best thing we could have done as it allowed us to transfer part of our savings here before we arrived. Also, their internet banking option is really good, and they don't charge fee's for everything like the rest of the banks. (No, I don't have shares in HSBC!!) The only real disadvantage I found with HSBC is that they only have a few branches, and even then, they are only in the main cities.... but their telephone and internet systems more than make up for this.

- Be prepared for creepy crawlies. You can seal every nook and cranny around your house, but one will still always get in somehow!! Have the bug spray handy. The flies here are also very 'persistant', and the great Australian wave is no joke!

- The TV is CRAP!! There are adverts every 5 mins. No wonder the aussies love watching sports so much! The near equivalent to SkyDigital is due to be launched here in 2 years time, and I hope that makes things a bit better!

- Some people have really old cars here! Some people are still driving around Datsun 120Y's... I remember this car from my childhood days in the UK!!!

- In regional areas, one really annoying thing is that shopping hours are the same as office hours ie 9-5:30. Most of them only open half days on Saturday (if at all), and usually not on Sundays. The big supermarkets are open 24 hours though.

- Speaking of supermarkets...... I MISS TESCO!! The variety here is nowhere near as good as Tesco/Sainsburys etc etc. The fruit is seasonal, but does taste better. Chocolate is not as nice... I think they add something to it to stop it melting in the hot climate.

- Customs will check everything as you enter the country. You have to declare almost everything, and even then they scan your luggage after you have cleared immigration. If they suspect something funny (ie a rogue bottle of jam, pickle, or even something that looks like a sharp object), they will open everything up and check it out!

- Be prepared for a fight at every government related service office. They are all very bureaucratic.

All in all though, the people here are warm, nice and generally very very friendly. Some might say that we are still in a 'honeymoon' period here, but we are enjoying it nonetheless. For all its shortcomings, it really is a great place. We have been made to feel very welcome, and look forward to being here for a while.

My advice to anyone wanting to come here is that you should do as much research as possible, and come here with a completely open mind. Every country has its good and bad points, and be prepared to see that here too.

Good luck!!

PS Don't ship your belongings to arrive here over xmas, as all the dockyards close for 3 weeks, and everyones shipments are backlogged... and I am speaking from experience here!

PPS Be careful if you use your credit card to buy anything at Malaysia airport (KL). Our credit card got cloned there on our way here, and that ended up being a very expensive cup of tea!
Old Jan 25th 2004, 11:21 pm
Badge

good stuff mate. I am in Melbourne and also enjoying Straya. Have to admit haven't seen any (big) spiders yet this time around - also opened the internet HSBC thinyjimmy account - the monthly paid interest (calculated daily) which will almost pay for my rent.

cheers

Badge

Old Jan 25th 2004, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Troood will become famous soon enough

Great email, thanks for keeping us updated. I'm hoping to move out there in October. We have a friend in Black Rock outside Melbourne so will possibly head his way. Could you give experiences on the property market. ie: are you renting etc. And what is work like etc. (if you have time).

Good to hear the weather is nice - it's bloody freezing here!!! (Nottingham).

Cheers,
Old Jan 26th 2004, 12:06 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

nice to hear you are finding things as you expected - the research sounds like it has paid off and prepared you well!!!
keep us posted!!!!
good luck in settling into your new life!!

sue
Old Jan 26th 2004, 1:15 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting post, thanks. I wondered if you're working, have children at schools, are renting or have bought a house?
Sorry I know I'm nosey but I'm storing away all this info from the new arrival posts in the hope that it helps when we get there!

Michaela
Old Jan 26th 2004, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

salonit is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Our experience of Oz so far

Originally posted by keith (UK)
Dear all,

My wife and I moved over from England to Oz a few months back, and just as we used the info from this website before we moved, I thought it might be useful if we wrote back to britishexpats.com with our experiences so far.

We are living in Ballarat, a city about an hour inland from Melbourne. We chose Ballarat simply because we wanted to be close to (but not in) Melbourne.

It is summer at the moment, and the weather is good. We had some lots of research before coming over, and I so the move has been fairly successful so far. There are a few points I would make though:

- The banks here are really really bad. We had a tough time trying to choose someone to bank with, and in the end we just had to go with the better of all the evils! We had opened an Online Saving Account with HSBC before we came out, which turned out to be the best thing we could have done as it allowed us to transfer part of our savings here before we arrived. Also, their internet banking option is really good, and they don't charge fee's for everything like the rest of the banks. (No, I don't have shares in HSBC!!) The only real disadvantage I found with HSBC is that they only have a few branches, and even then, they are only in the main cities.... but their telephone and internet systems more than make up for this.

- Be prepared for creepy crawlies. You can seal every nook and cranny around your house, but one will still always get in somehow!! Have the bug spray handy. The flies here are also very 'persistant', and the great Australian wave is no joke!

- The TV is CRAP!! There are adverts every 5 mins. No wonder the aussies love watching sports so much! The near equivalent to SkyDigital is due to be launched here in 2 years time, and I hope that makes things a bit better!

- Some people have really old cars here! Some people are still driving around Datsun 120Y's... I remember this car from my childhood days in the UK!!!

- In regional areas, one really annoying thing is that shopping hours are the same as office hours ie 9-5:30. Most of them only open half days on Saturday (if at all), and usually not on Sundays. The big supermarkets are open 24 hours though.

- Speaking of supermarkets...... I MISS TESCO!! The variety here is nowhere near as good as Tesco/Sainsburys etc etc. The fruit is seasonal, but does taste better. Chocolate is not as nice... I think they add something to it to stop it melting in the hot climate.

- Customs will check everything as you enter the country. You have to declare almost everything, and even then they scan your luggage after you have cleared immigration. If they suspect something funny (ie a rogue bottle of jam, pickle, or even something that looks like a sharp object), they will open everything up and check it out!

- Be prepared for a fight at every government related service office. They are all very bureaucratic.

All in all though, the people here are warm, nice and generally very very friendly. Some might say that we are still in a 'honeymoon' period here, but we are enjoying it nonetheless. For all its shortcomings, it really is a great place. We have been made to feel very welcome, and look forward to being here for a while.

My advice to anyone wanting to come here is that you should do as much research as possible, and come here with a completely open mind. Every country has its good and bad points, and be prepared to see that here too.

Good luck!!

PS Don't ship your belongings to arrive here over xmas, as all the dockyards close for 3 weeks, and everyones shipments are backlogged... and I am speaking from experience here!

PPS Be careful if you use your credit card to buy anything at Malaysia airport (KL). Our credit card got cloned there on our way here, and that ended up being a very expensive cup of tea!

hey keith!!
u got a job yet?? do u have to do the 4 weeks pre-reg before u can register?? i have just come back from perth and found the same as u above!! but loved it so moving sooner ( 6 months)...will email u soon!!
saloni
ps the wedding was amazing!
Old Jan 26th 2004, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

railman2404 is an unknown quantity at this point

as the banks are so bad do they have any building society accounts similar to this country or is all banking that bad
Old Jan 26th 2004, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally posted by railman2404
as the banks are so bad do they have any building society accounts similar to this country or is all banking that bad
The building societies have largely morphed into the banks.

A more useful piece of information for those on the other side of the world is more detail as to in what respect(s) they are bad.
Old Jan 26th 2004, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Trood,

The real estate market here seems to be a bit like what it is in the UK, ie booming! There are plently of properties on the market though, and I believe the laws regarding buying properties are a bit different here, and guzumping is not as common as back home.

We are renting at the moment. Rental prices in this area for say a 2 bed unit are between $150-240 per week, depending on the area, facilities, and the age of the property. I have been told to consider mainly properties which are centrally heated, as the winters here in Ballarat are supposed to be fairly cool.

For the record, both my wife and I are working, we don't have any children. Work is good, and is less stressful compared to our line of work in the UK. Both my wife and I are in the medical profession.

I don't think building societies exist here. There are just banks, and they are all as bad as eachother. We went with the Bank Of Melbourne because their accounts seemed to suit us a bit better than the rest. I do still intend to use the HSBC acct for savings though, as their interest rate is better, and the tie-ins are less!

Good luck to all!
Old Jan 26th 2004, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

slec is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear all,

Good luck!!

Hi I knew if I looked at this site long enough I would find someone
in Vic who is not living in Mel we are in Geelong about an hour from you.
We totally agree with you so far banks you put your money in they look after it for you and then you want some interest on your money you will want a cheq book next.
And as for cars I have not spotted a scrap yard here yet and I think its because they are all still on the roads.
We have been here 4 months now and love the place.
bye Sleck.
PS loved sovereign hill.
Old Jan 26th 2004, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally posted by slec
We totally agree with you so far banks you put your money in they look after it for you and then you want some interest on your money you will want a cheq book next.
Still no particular listing of the banks' major shortcomings. A breathless mob of potential migrants are thinking of cancelling their applications.

As to cheques, see BPay.
Old Jan 26th 2004, 10:51 pm
Goodpubmisser

I bank with St.George in Sydney mainly because they are open on a Saturday morning (not that I ever go there - it's just the principle).

I actually saw a Bank of China branch in my local shopping centre open on a Sunday! I wish that they would advertise it more as it would give the Commonwealth Bank, NAB and the other stuffy Banks something to think about!

I used to be in the Commonwealth Bank years ago and I had problems with them every 2 months on average. I also had a passbook account with NAB and had similiar problems.

Mind you I used to have an account with Lloyds Bank TSB in Britain and they were pretty bad as well.

Old Jan 27th 2004, 2:20 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

The real estate market here seems to be a bit like what it is in the UK, ie booming!
Are you saying that it`s as bad as the UK for affordability? We can get a joint mortgage of £130k here, but it would only buy us flats in the south-east (if we were lucky). In London it would get us an outside toilet. We are very depressed by the housing market here atm and I`d be very unhappy if we got back to Perth in 6 months or a year and we still couldn`t afford to buy a house, even with the $7k from the govt.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Regarding real estate in oz, house here are affordable but depends where you want to live. Living in Melbourne is similar to living in London. Property prices are lower in regional areas also dependent on the type of property you want. Look at this website: www.realestate.com.au

Even though our salaries are lower than the UK we still feel we can afford to get onto the property ladder quicker here than in the UK. Migrants who have equity in their property in th UK should be able to afford a good sized property here with no problems.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Troood will become famous soon enough

Regarding real estate in oz, house here are affordable but depends where you want to live. Living in Melbourne is similar to living in London. Property prices are lower in regional areas also dependent on the type of property you want. Look at this website: www.realestate.com.au

Even though our salaries are lower than the UK we still feel we can afford to get onto the property ladder quicker here than in the UK. Migrants who have equity in their property in th UK should be able to afford a good sized property here with no problems.

Thanks for all the information Keith - really appreciate it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.