Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

our daughters got jet lag

our daughters got jet lag

Old Sep 13th 2005, 3:34 am
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute
Default our daughters got jet lag

We've been here 4 days now and me and hubby are fine, not suffered with jet lag at all, our 4 yr old daughter however tells a different story. She's asleep by 4.30pm and is waking at 5am, which is a little better than the first night we was here when she woke at 2am.
The thing is because she's getting up, we're having to get up which leaves us knackered by late afternoon.
It's a nightmare.
She's refusing to have a nap in the afternoon aswell which is a pain as that would sort the problem out and she's such a heavy sleeper that as soon as she falls asleep we can't wake her up. She fell asleep whilst eating her dinner last night, infact that's the first dinner she's attempted eating. She's hardly eating anything at the moment so we're putting that down to jet lag aswell.
Hopefully this problem will rectify itself soon as it's a right pain in the butt.
Oh well, kids will be kids and I'm sure if it was the other way around and Iwe had jet lag and she didn't I'd be having a moan aswell.
Marie
Old Sep 13th 2005, 3:37 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: our daughters got jet lag

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
We've been here 4 days now and me and hubby are fine, not suffered with jet lag at all, our 4 yr old daughter however tells a different story. She's asleep by 4.30pm and is waking at 5am, which is a little better than the first night we was here when she woke at 2am.
The thing is because she's getting up, we're having to get up which leaves us knackered by late afternoon.
It's a nightmare.
She's refusing to have a nap in the afternoon aswell which is a pain as that would sort the problem out and she's such a heavy sleeper that as soon as she falls asleep we can't wake her up. She fell asleep whilst eating her dinner last night, infact that's the first dinner she's attempted eating. She's hardly eating anything at the moment so we're putting that down to jet lag aswell.
Hopefully this problem will rectify itself soon as it's a right pain in the butt.
Oh well, kids will be kids and I'm sure if it was the other way around and Iwe had jet lag and she didn't I'd be having a moan aswell.
Marie
Try some homoeopathic arnica - excellent for jetlag. Or you could try homoeopathic cocculus - good for problems caused by sleep disruption.

Sue
Old Sep 13th 2005, 3:40 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

No such thing as jet lag: I was told so years ago by an Aussie nurse.

Well, she told my brain - pity she didn't tell my body!
Old Sep 13th 2005, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
It's a nightmare.
Marie
Hi there, it is probably the stress as well, and the change.
I suffered for about a week was asleep by 8, then waking about 4 in the morning, so i had to just try to stay awake at night , i could not eat the first couple of days, felt very sickly, but then about a week later i got my apetite back.
The kids where fine, try to keep her up that bit later each night, maybe go to the park or for a walk on the beach, after her tea, if she starts falling asleep, play a game, or say you will go get some sweets from the shop. She will soon get into a routine, remember it is a big change for her as well.
Old Sep 13th 2005, 7:50 pm
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cranni
Hi there, it is probably the stress as well, and the change.
I suffered for about a week was asleep by 8, then waking about 4 in the morning, so i had to just try to stay awake at night , i could not eat the first couple of days, felt very sickly, but then about a week later i got my apetite back.
The kids where fine, try to keep her up that bit later each night, maybe go to the park or for a walk on the beach, after her tea, if she starts falling asleep, play a game, or say you will go get some sweets from the shop. She will soon get into a routine, remember it is a big change for her as well.

She managed to stay awake until 7.15pm last night but was awake by 4am this morning. A long drive round to encourage an afternoon nap is on my list of things to do today I think.
Old Sep 13th 2005, 7:52 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

hi marie,
im sure she will settle into a proper routine for sleep once her bodyclock has settled down.
glad to hear you arrived ok..........are you having fun yet!??

sue
Old Sep 13th 2005, 8:04 pm
GC family day carer

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
hi marie,
im sure she will settle into a proper routine for sleep once her bodyclock has settled down.
glad to hear you arrived ok..........are you having fun yet!??

sue
Hi Sue, I'm doing heaps of boring paperwork but I'm having heaps of fun. Definately the right decision for us....and I thought I'd be bothered as I don't really know anyone, staying with the in laws, leaving my family behind....isn't bothering me at all yet, msn is a wonderful thing
Old Sep 13th 2005, 8:32 pm
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
glad your doing well.
I had terrible jet lag when we went to NZ on our honeymoon in 96, couldn't eat for a couple of days, felt so out of sorts.

Does the stress of waiting for your visa seem like a distant memory?

Seems strange we were waiting together for our visa's and sharing the stress and now you've made the move and we are still waiting to sell our house.
Still doesn't feel real to me.

Kevin