Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Our Cost of Living in Melbourne

Our Cost of Living in Melbourne

Old Jan 25th 2009, 8:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our Cost of Living in Melbourne

Originally Posted by hevs
If you haven't had it done..you probably should do it.
Everyones and expert though! BUT the council do recommend at least every 3 to 5 years. Ours is the 5 year mark and smells after rain. From memory it cost us $400 ish last time. We have to get it done ready for prospective tennants in a couple of weeks time (sob!)
We try to limit the use of chemicals and when we go away we flush a large pot of live yogurt down each loo...the good bacteria do the septic wonders apparently
Septics tanks like you say, are definitely things which create experts in everyone but me...

I put down some eco-friendly, reusable, made from recyclables, save the earth toilet cleaner - we don't tear the arse out of using this - and this solved it. But you're right, we might find some yoghurt next time.

PS if your mate gets caught hes in serious trouble
Our tanks are wayy to big to take anywhere
He just uses a little one for his flash gas stove in winter.

Originally Posted by Pollyana
What do you mean by the correct medical insurance? Faintest possibility we might hit the medicare levy threshold this year or next and I thought I could just carry on with medicare. Didn't realise I had to get insurance?
Taking out insurance saves the tax basically.

Mate, in my work I have to program the sodding logic that our systems use to calculate all these things - but we are ourselves so confused that right now, out of work, I cannot help reliably. Another confusing thing is the Certified Age of Entry...we even coded it the easy way as even the analysts were confused...and then found something else to do.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Jan 25th 2009 at 8:54 am.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Water: $18
Electric: $105

Wish my water bill was that low!!!:
Old Jan 25th 2009, 10:56 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

What do you mean by the correct medical insurance? Faintest possibility we might hit the medicare levy threshold this year or next and I thought I could just carry on with medicare. Didn't realise I had to get insurance?
You don't! You just pay the levvy at tax time, some boffin will be along to do figures later I'm sure. We paid about $500 for the 5 of us last year, money WELL spent IMHO!
Old Jan 25th 2009, 11:01 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vanessa
But you wouldn't pay the levy if you have the correct private health insurance?
Private health cover means you don't pay the Medicare surcharge it doesn't exempt you from the levy.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 11:09 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Private health cover means you don't pay the Medicare surcharge it doesn't exempt you from the levy.
Really!? Ripped or what?
Old Jan 25th 2009, 11:40 am
Account Closed

Really!? Ripped or what?
I don't think they make a secret of it
Old Jan 25th 2009, 11:49 am
High in the Dandenongs

I don't think they make a secret of it
LOL, I don't have private health so would assume that you were saved from having to pay stuff to medicare. Please excuse my ignorance
Old Jan 25th 2009, 7:54 pm
Account Closed

LOL, I don't have private health so would assume that you were saved from having to pay stuff to medicare. Please excuse my ignorance
I can't think of a good excuse at the mo but thanks for the offer

Private medical does save you paying the surcharge (the extra 1% for those that earn more than a certain amount) but the underlying levy still has to be paid. And in fairness, people with private medical still have access to free A&E and (if they choose) free hospitalisation, so they should pay the levy.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 1:28 am
High in the Dandenongs

I can't think of a good excuse at the mo but thanks for the offer

Private medical does save you paying the surcharge (the extra 1% for those that earn more than a certain amount) but the underlying levy still has to be paid. And in fairness, people with private medical still have access to free A&E and (if they choose) free hospitalisation, so they should pay the levy.
Yes, I agree.
And i for one am happy to pay the surcharge too..its a great service and we have used it a fair bit
Old Jan 26th 2009, 2:37 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I agree.
And i for one am happy to pay the surcharge too..its a great service and we have used it a fair bit
Thats why I wa wondering. I had no intention of getting private insurance, happy enough with what I get on Medicare. The only reason I'm likely to get into the surcharge bracket is through occasional overtime payments during a very small part of the year, my guaranteed weekly wage isn't enough to be able to take on a regular payment burden such as there is with private health care, especially when I look at exclusions and all the stuff I'd still have to pay for.

I'll carry on as I am then
Old Jan 26th 2009, 3:17 am
High in the Dandenongs

I'll carry on as I am then
As you were

(we are in the same position!)
Old Jan 26th 2009, 3:59 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry that is what I meant - it exempts you from the surcharge if you earn over a certain salary not the levy, which is understandable.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 6:19 am
ABCDiamond

It seems that there is confusion over the Medicare Levy and the Medicare Levy Surcharge.

Medicare Levy
Almost all workers pay the standard 1.5% Medicare levy towards funding the cost of the Medicare system in Australia. (Similar to NHS contributions in UK)
The only exemptions/reductions to this are for the very low paid, (2008 is about $17,309pa)

Medical Levy Surcharge (MLS)
If you are a single person, earning more than $70,000 per year, or a family earning more than $140,000 per year combined, then a correctly chosen Private Medical Insurance Policy will save you from paying the extra 1% Medical Levy Surcharge (MLS).

Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

ulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant future

That landline bill is huge! Do you make a lot of calls overseas? I have a Telstra landline with the cheap calls back to the UK and the bill including line rental and 2 calls home a month never exceeds $50.

Do you work a 5 day week and spend $12 a day on lunch or is that for both of you? I am centrally located and spend between $6 and $8 on lunch.

Good indicator though
Old Jan 26th 2009, 10:44 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gsidhu
Hello Folks

Its been about 8 months here in Point Cook, Melbourne. So I thought I would post our cost of living per month.

I hope it helps:

3 bed townhouse rental: $1387
Foxtel: $106(platinum package)
VisionAsia: $60 (indian channels)
Broadband: $75(60GB telstra)
Landline: $130 (Telstra)
2 Mobiles: $80 (virgin png and contract)
Water: $18
Electric: $105
Gas: $112

Rental Insurance: $14
Car Insurance: $50
Petrol: $160
Train Ticket: $104 (Zone 1)

Food Shopping: $500(2 of us)
Slab: $54 (Stella)
My lunch money: $240 (i eat out everyday

Grand Total : $3195 per month

All the best
G
Thats such bullshit to have to pay! My costs:

2bdrm unit (shared) I pay $65 pwk my flatmate, $50pwk.
Broadband: $80 per month but $40 shared for for first 12 months (deal) = $20 each a month
Landline (Telstra) $17.70 per month plus calls (we share cost)
Elec & Gas Approx $80 per month ($40 each shared)
Food: About $60 per week each
Water: No noticeable charges at present.
Total approx: $132.90 each per week, so x 4 = $583.35per month.

Discretionary spending not included.

We do live in a outer melbourne suburb.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.