Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Our Australian adventure is over…. And so early!!

Our Australian adventure is over…. And so early!!

Old May 6th 2010, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Our Australian adventure is over…. And so early!!

So many are going home because they dont do enough at the easy end(uk) they have high expectations and think they can just roll up and get a job in a country which is not as advanced as the uk only to get here and realise that oz does have electricity, the majority are hard workin and educated and dont sit round drinkin beer all day. Get of your backsides work damn hard and in a few years you may be sat round your pool laughing listening to the kids splashing around, or go back to your semi with grey skies saving up for your two weeks in some crap spanish Island.
Old May 6th 2010, 10:03 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Can we keep this polite and non confrontational please. Nothing wrong with Aus and nothing wrong with the UK. Everyone needs what they need and if that doesn't agree with someone else's opinion doesn't mean they're wrong, it means they're different characters.
Old May 6th 2010, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Can we keep this polite and non confrontational please. Nothing wrong with Aus and nothing wrong with the UK. Everyone needs what they need and if that doesn't agree with someone else's opinion doesn't mean they're wrong, it means they're different characters.
i think more down to earth opinion or as for some down to earth with a bang.
Old May 6th 2010, 11:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark wool
i think more down to earth opinion or as for some down to earth with a bang.
You can give down to earth opinions without being quite so confrontational though -comments like telling people to get off their backsides don't come over as very helpful to those people who have struggled to find work despite trying as hard as they can.
Old May 6th 2010, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You can give down to earth opinions without being quite so confrontational though -comments like telling people to get off their backsides don't come over as very helpful to those people who have struggled to find work despite trying as hard as they can.
Sorry if i affended but you will only get out what you put in and the real work starts when you get to oz not when your applying for a visa. It also makes sense to find the work before you get here before flying kids and shippin furniture. If you have no work little money, and dont like it how you gonna get yourself, kids and furniture back.

Last edited by mark wool; May 6th 2010 at 11:38 am.
Old May 6th 2010, 11:41 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I think that most if not all employers not only ask for a resume but it it needs to be up to date and adapted for each job that you apply for and needs to come with a cover letter as well.

Getting a job can be a job in itself, involving countless rejections even for the best resumes.

You apply for hundreds and hear nothing and then get lots of responses all at once.

Its hard work getting work.
Old May 6th 2010, 11:48 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry if i affended but you will only get out what you put in and the real work starts when you get to oz not when your applying for a visa. It also makes sense to find the work before you get here before flying kids and shippin furniture. If you have no work little money, and dont like it how you gonna get yourself, kids and furniture back.
You don't have to tell me, I've worked hard since I hit the ground, applying for jobs from the moment I started applying for my visa, and not having any money when I got here I never had the luxury some people have of sight-seeing and finding their feet before they start with the daily grind.
Like the majority of people though, I work in a field that won't offer emplyment until you are actually here; its still unusual to arrive with a job ready to walk in to, as a rule.
And as I've said before no amount of preparation tells you how you will react when you find you are really here. For the duration.

You haven't offended me at all, I just think that maybe your approach is a little too black and white......many people put their hearts and souls into the move, and it still doeen't work for them, as you'll see when you've been around the forum a little longer. I'm luckyin so many respects, I don't have anyone else to worry about, just myself. I really feel for people who find that it isn't working for part of their family, horrible situation to be in and very difficult choices to have to make.
Old May 6th 2010, 11:49 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Sadly you don't always get out of life what you put in. Few people find work before getting here unless sponsored. Think about it. Would you employ someone from 10,000 miles away you've never met?
Old May 6th 2010, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You don't have to tell me, I've worked hard since I hit the ground, applying for jobs from the moment I started applying for my visa, and not having any money when I got here I never had the luxury some people have of sight-seeing and finding their feet before they start with the daily grind.
Like the majority of people though, I work in a field that won't offer emplyment until you are actually here; its still unusual to arrive with a job ready to walk in to, as a rule.
And as I've said before no amount of preparation tells you how you will react when you find you are really here. For the duration.

You haven't offended me at all, I just think that maybe your approach is a little too black and white......many people put their hearts and souls into the move, and it still doeen't work for them, as you'll see when you've been around the forum a little longer. I'm luckyin so many respects, I don't have anyone else to worry about, just myself. I really feel for people who find that it isn't working for part of their family, horrible situation to be in and very difficult choices to have to make.
you are lucky but i reckon it is black and white it has to be. I have got two young children to support which i have moved away from their family and friends sold the family home and there is no way i would have sacrificed all that if i had not had a job to come to. There happiness and security for my dream.
Old May 6th 2010, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

bev2 is just really nicebev2 is just really nicebev2 is just really nicebev2 is just really nicebev2 is just really nicebev2 is just really nicebev2 is just really nicebev2 is just really nice

Good luck to you and your family.

My family was torn also, i wanted to stay but my eldest wanted to come home and so did my husband because he couldn't get work and hated the fact that i had to work to keep us.

we had a nice house, kids in good schools, we were ok financially so i often question why we decided to go and we had convinced ourselves that the uk was a really bad place to bring up our kids, but it soon becomes apparent thats its not.

Its so hard, after all the effort emotion, time and money that you put into the move but you know whats best for your family and be prepared for "what you come back to this dump for" "Can't beleive your back" " why would you choose england over Australia" (even though they'd never been) " dont you wish you'd had a holiday first" Switch off !

Good luck with the rest of your adventure, hopfully you can buy a house cheaper than you sold yours for
Old May 6th 2010, 1:02 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Thats fine but as a sparky your job depends on your license - not everyone realises the stuff you go through to prove you are a sparky to get your visa is just that - to get your visa and not your license. You have to do a lot of running/phoning around, dishing out money to get it (and Im pretty sure it`s not just the sparkies who have found that).
It is a case of suck it up and get on with it but it can come as a real shock to those who arrive thinking that it`s a simple matter of fill out a form and get your license. It`s all added stress which when coupled to half your family being unsure of the move can result in serious unhappiness, doubt, regret, and OMFG what have I done moments!
Old May 6th 2010, 1:11 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
Thats fine but as a sparky your job depends on your license - not everyone realises the stuff you go through to prove you are a sparky to get your visa is just that - to get your visa and not your license. You have to do a lot of running/phoning around, dishing out money to get it (and Im pretty sure it`s not just the sparkies who have found that).
It is a case of suck it up and get on with it but it can come as a real shock to those who arrive thinking that it`s a simple matter of fill out a form and get your license. It`s all added stress which when coupled to half your family being unsure of the move can result in serious unhappiness, doubt, regret, and OMFG what have I done moments!
That is so true and we all know that employers or at least most of them won't even acknowledge you until you are in the country and certainly not while you are in the UK.
Old May 6th 2010, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

reikime is just really nicereikime is just really nicereikime is just really nicereikime is just really nicereikime is just really nicereikime is just really nicereikime is just really nicereikime is just really nice

So sorry it hasnt worked out for you all, sadly my mam passed away some years ago but if she had still been alive I honestly dont think I would be even comtemplating going to Australia so I think I know how your OH feels, still its a shame for you. At least you got off your butt & gave it a try good on you.
Better to have tried & failed than never to have tried at all
Old May 6th 2010, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

Guys i know what you mean! I dont like the idea of ending my days here
Why not? Did you see emigrating as a temporary / short-term option then? I don't mean to pry, I'm just curious as we're still considering it (lack of points and house prices putting us off at present!) but if we went I think it would be for good - particularly as I don't think we'd be entitled to any kind of pension or state care if we returned to the UK later in life...?

I feel so sorry for the OP and his wife - homesickness is the one thing that would keep me here and prevent me from emigrating anywhere. It's weird really because when I was young and single I lived abroad and never missed a soul, but since being married with kids I've grown much closer to my family (mum in particular) and the thought of her not being 25 mins' drive away anymore scares the hell out of me, tbh.

If we do decide to emigrate (and can get in) - whichever country that may be - I'm hoping missing my mum will be a temporary thing that will fade in comparison to all the positives about our new country, but the worst thing is that I know they'd never visit (they don't do long haul - unfortunately my outlaws do and this would be even worse if the MIL visited and my mum didn't, lol!!) so we'd have to spend thousands of pounds every few years coming back to visit (using up all my husband's holiday leave too).

Sorry for rambling, I just wanted to say I totally know where your wife is coming from and I don't think she should be slated for having left in the first place, knowing she'd be homesick. Fact is, she was selfless enough to put her own feelings aside for the benefit of her family (to give her kids a better life) and at least give it a go. Whether or not she's given it long enough is her call and her call only, but it must be a horrible situation for the OP to be in - torn between wanting to save his marriage / family and yet wanting to stay because he's convinced it's the right thing for them long-term.

Good luck sweetie with whatever you decide to do
Old May 6th 2010, 7:21 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

totally impossible for a sparky
you cannot even apply for a licence untill you arrive in australia
then you will have on average 3 to 12 months ( depending on which state your in ) before its granted
no licence no job simple as that

ps just looked at your previous posts and you already know this as you are a sparky too so why the "get a job before you come commet" when you already know this cannot be done ?
that coupled with the fact you came out and went home yourself dosnt make sense to have a pop at some one else doing the same?

Last edited by steve`o; May 6th 2010 at 7:44 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.