Reload this Page >

OT: Probs with printer

OT: Probs with printer

Old Jun 14th 2005, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Atticus will become famous soon enough
Angry OT: Probs with printer

Hi guys

Off topic but very urgent - need print a few things but my printer wont install!! We fly off on Monday so need it to work before then!!

Will try to keep it short but basically when computer went bellyup restored computer - but never re-connected the printer - during this time we got broadband speedtouch with wanadoo (not sure if this is entirely relevant!) - anyway when following instructions (down to a t!!) when it comes to locating the usb port there is nothing - went on hp's website (Deskjet 880c) to follow any troubleshooting advice and when I went into the win.ini bit and clicked ports, no usb showing up just lp1-3 etc and COM (no longer have the parallel cables! bugger!!) - so now what do I do? does anyone have any ideas as Im very desperate.

thanks in advance

atticus
Old Jun 14th 2005, 5:54 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: OT: Probs with printer

Originally Posted by Atticus
Hi guys

Off topic but very urgent - need print a few things but my printer wont install!! We fly off on Monday so need it to work before then!!

Will try to keep it short but basically when computer went bellyup restored computer - but never re-connected the printer - during this time we got broadband speedtouch with wanadoo (not sure if this is entirely relevant!) - anyway when following instructions (down to a t!!) when it comes to locating the usb port there is nothing - went on hp's website (Deskjet 880c) to follow any troubleshooting advice and when I went into the win.ini bit and clicked ports, no usb showing up just lp1-3 etc and COM (no longer have the parallel cables! bugger!!) - so now what do I do? does anyone have any ideas as Im very desperate.

thanks in advance

atticus
Could be something to do with the modem screwing up the settings.

As a quick fix just buy a parallel cable, there only a couple of quid!

Have you looked in Device Manager to see if there are any errors?

R.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: OT: Probs with printer

Hi Carruss

Just checked and no USB showing only "Printer Port (LPT1)" - but is USB reference to the speedtouch connection?! bugger will have to get a parallel cable just to get things going.

Really hope that works.

Cheers

atticus
Old Jun 14th 2005, 6:21 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Carruss

Just checked and no USB showing only "Printer Port (LPT1)" - but is USB reference to the speedtouch connection?! bugger will have to get a parallel cable just to get things going.

Really hope that works.

Cheers

atticus
Should work, you cant beat the old connections!

I know USB is the way to go blah, blah, blah but sometimes the parallel and com ports do the job just fine.

R.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 6:24 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Carruss
Should work, you cant beat the old connections!

I know USB is the way to go blah, blah, blah but sometimes the parallel and com ports do the job just fine.

R.
Yes, I agree, it will do you for a short term fix
Old Jun 14th 2005, 6:34 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys

thanks in advance

atticus
You need to install the software from the CD that came with the printer before you plug the printer in. That CD will install the USB virtual port and then Windows will automatically detect the printer.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 6:39 pm
I am not the Messiah!

If you running W2K or XP then that should pick the printer up automatically.

R.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 6:43 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carruss
If you running W2K or XP then that should pick the printer up automatically.

R.
That's true but they don't always pick up that it's a USB printer without the vendor-specific USB port driver being installed first.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 6:45 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Originally Posted by wmoore
That's true but they don't always pick up that it's a USB printer without the vendor-specific USB port driver being installed first.
You are right and HP normally ask for the software to be installed first and then prompts you to connect the cables etc.

R.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi guys

Thanks so much for responding and for all the suggestions. I did in fact install the software using the cd provided but when it came to clicking on which port - which I did i.e. usb it would the whole thing would then disappear and all Im left with is my desktop page - and I promise have followed instructions step by step. Will get a parallel cable first thing tomorrow. My computer is ancient (well in techno terms) windows 95/98!!

ta very much

atticus
Old Jun 14th 2005, 8:40 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hi guys

Thanks so much for responding and for all the suggestions. I did in fact install the software using the cd provided but when it came to clicking on which port - which I did i.e. usb it would the whole thing would then disappear and all Im left with is my desktop page - and I promise have followed instructions step by step. Will get a parallel cable first thing tomorrow. My computer is ancient (well in techno terms) windows 95/98!!

ta very much

atticus

I remember 98, XP is a little bit better but they get more hungry for memory and hard disk space each time.

What ever happened to 3.1 and DOS?

Bye Mark
Old Jun 14th 2005, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

We bought an HP printer 3 months ago and have had trouble installing it. Hubby tried all the HP helpline suggestions but to no avail. Hubby was getting so stressed over it we decided to get a computer man in,he fiddled around for 5 hours! He thought the Dell pc was partly to blame,so we talked to Dell helpline . They were only interested if it was hard drive problem!
PC man decided the printer was faulty, and because we've taken over a month to work it out we can't return it to QVC!
At last its installed ,but the printer won't let the pc open windows xp so we have to make sure the printer is turned off before we turn on the pc!
Hope you sort your problem out.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 10:45 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by markeh
I remember 98, XP is a little bit better but they get more hungry for memory and hard disk space each time.

What ever happened to 3.1 and DOS?

Bye Mark
I still have my 3.1 & DOS disks

Those were the days eh

When an operating system fitted on a floppy disk, without being compressed

Old Jun 14th 2005, 11:03 pm
I'd rather be Buzz!!

SylvieKid is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ho Atticus!

DOS and Windows 3.x well <sigh.... happy days!!> What it was to install software off of floppy discs?!?!

As for the printer problem - if you're running 95/98 and the USB port's not detected, have you got the latest service pack installed? A bit odd that it hasn't detected the USB port though - I know that some HP printers do need their software installed first however, your OS should at least be able to detect the presence of a USB port?

As Caruss suggested, have you checked Device 'Mangler' to see if there's anything that hasn't been installed by your OS? Failing that, a parallel cable should do ya in the meantime? I must admit that it's been ages since I last had to support 95/98 so I'll have a think to see if there's anything else I've missed...

Cheers,
SK
Old Jun 14th 2005, 11:04 pm
I'd rather be Buzz!!

SylvieKid is an unknown quantity at this point

PS: Do you have USB 2.0 by the way?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.