Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

OT House-selling survey (any advice appreciated too!)

OT House-selling survey (any advice appreciated too!)

Old Aug 8th 2005, 2:41 pm
Home at last

michellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to all
Default OT House-selling survey (any advice appreciated too!)

We've jsut come back from a week in Sorrento, Italy as our "last European holiday". Bloody fantastic it was too - made me hanker all the more for a hot climate!

Anyway in our absence we've still not had a single viewer and we need to decide what to do, so can you please tell me:

1) When your house went on the market

2) How many viewers you have had since then

3) Any offers?

4) where in the UK country you are - south west/ London/South East etc.

We've been on the market for 8 weeks now and only one viewer. We are priced well for our street (less than some smaller houses/houses in worse condition) and our area was a real hotspot until the moment we put our house on the market . We are trying to decide if our agent is crap (they are selling all but one of the other houses for sale in our street) and whether to change to another more expensive agent or if it's "the market" as our current agents are saying it is and just coming off altogether and trying again in the early part of next year (we had planned to move to Perth in March but if we can't sell the house...).

Would appreciate any views as well as survey answers please!

Michelle
Old Aug 8th 2005, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

Quokka will become famous soon enoughQuokka will become famous soon enough
Default Re: OT House-selling survey (any advice appreciated too!)

Originally Posted by michellemac
We've jsut come back from a week in Sorrento, Italy as our "last European holiday". Bloody fantastic it was too - made me hanker all the more for a hot climate!

Anyway in our absence we've still not had a single viewer and we need to decide what to do, so can you please tell me:

1) When your house went on the market

2) How many viewers you have had since then

3) Any offers?

4) where in the UK country you are - south west/ London/South East etc.

We've been on the market for 8 weeks now and only one viewer. We are priced well for our street (less than some smaller houses/houses in worse condition) and our area was a real hotspot until the moment we put our house on the market . We are trying to decide if our agent is crap (they are selling all but one of the other houses for sale in our street) and whether to change to another more expensive agent or if it's "the market" as our current agents are saying it is and just coming off altogether and trying again in the early part of next year (we had planned to move to Perth in March but if we can't sell the house...).

Would appreciate any views as well as survey answers please!

Michelle

This may shed some light

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/s...544462,00.html
Old Aug 8th 2005, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

Hi there. Selling our house has become my pet hate. Our house has been on the market for 15 weeks, we have had 31 viewers and not one single offer. We live in Hampshire, just 14 miles north of Portsmouth in a village that is on the A3 so you would think that people would want to buy here, but no, the market is well and truly dead - either that or people just don't like our house (which I have been assured isn't the case).

Good luck with it all, it is a war out there.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Quokka
What an incredibly gloomy picture. Forgive me, whilst I go and slit my wrists....
Old Aug 8th 2005, 3:06 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

This probably won't help you much, but:

House on market 22/07/05
Four separate sets of viewers
Three offers rec'd from different parties 30/07/05
Accepted offer of full asking price and survey done today

We live on the outskirts of Hythe, Kent. Properties here are selling fast, but at the right price.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 3:08 pm
Home at last

michellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to all

Originally Posted by coxfamuk
Hi there. Selling our house has become my pet hate. Our house has been on the market for 15 weeks, we have had 31 viewers and not one single offer. We live in Hampshire, just 14 miles north of Portsmouth in a village that is on the A3 so you would think that people would want to buy here, but no, the market is well and truly dead - either that or people just don't like our house (which I have been assured isn't the case).

Good luck with it all, it is a war out there.
Thanks,

At least you've had viewers ! We've only had ONE viewer since going on the market - as have some of the others who've been on longer than us (I've spoken to our immediate neighbours who are also on the market - with the smae agent)! We've got and oversubscibed OFSTEAD loved school, BIG employers who are expanding, good links to Bristol City Centre and no viweings at the moment!

If no one sees the place then no-one is going to buy it is my thinking, so we really don't know what to do! Big sympathy to you to, at least I've been spared the cleanign for no reason ritual!

Michelle
Old Aug 8th 2005, 3:09 pm
Home at last

Originally Posted by coxfamuk
What an incredibly gloomy picture. Forgive me, whilst I go and slit my wrists....

I thought that too

I think it's a little bit biased though!

Michelle
Old Aug 8th 2005, 3:17 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks,

At least you've had viewers ! We've only had ONE viewer since going on the market - as have some of the others who've been on longer than us (I've spoken to our immediate neighbours who are also on the market - with the smae agent)! We've got and oversubscibed OFSTEAD loved school, BIG employers who are expanding, good links to Bristol City Centre and no viweings at the moment!

If no one sees the place then no-one is going to buy it is my thinking, so we really don't know what to do! Big sympathy to you to, at least I've been spared the cleanign for no reason ritual!

Michelle
We're in Hampshire (not far from coxfamuk actually and we've been on the market since the beginning of April. Had 5 viewers in that time - 2nd viewer made an offer which we accepted but he then decided that he didn't have the funds after all 3rd viewers came twice but decided it wasn't for them. We then reduced the price by £25k. 5th lot came round twice last week and then offered £22k under new revised asking price They said on Thursday that they would put in a revised offer but nothing so far
Old Aug 8th 2005, 3:19 pm
Home at last

Originally Posted by bridiej
This probably won't help you much, but:

House on market 22/07/05
Four separate sets of viewers
Three offers rec'd from different parties 30/07/05
Accepted offer of full asking price and survey done today

We live on the outskirts of Hythe, Kent. Properties here are selling fast, but at the right price.
actually it makes me feel better! with only a few viewings you got lots of offers so that's good news! How did you price your house compared to others around you? We are a 1930's semi on a street of 1930s semis so pretty much all the same, with carparking/garden size/extensions being the main differences to the houses - we have all that stuff done to ours and priced the same as houses without those additions and plain house-doctor style neutral decoration so I really can't see why we've only had one viewing

Michelle
Old Aug 8th 2005, 3:23 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Michelle

We had three agents round, two said £165K, one said £195K (!) plus we looked around ourselves at the local market for several weeks and agreed that £165K was right. We had redecorated inside and out, new carpets upstairs, had a new bathroom fitted at Xmas and rewired over Xmas too. Plus we have a two year old oil fired boiler.

Price is very important. Our neighbours have pretty much the same basic house as us on the same sized plot, except they've converted the two double bedrooms into three small rooms, they have a conservatory and a full sized garage that you can get the car down to, but they need to decorate inside and out plus have a solid fuel boiler which is on its way out, and they've been on for 13 months now. They started off at £225K, dropped to £215K after Xmas and now are on at £205K. But it's just too much money compared to what else is available in Hythe with a smaller price tag.

Will keep my fingers crossed for you, and send you some good luck k

Will see if I can post links to our house and our neighbours so you can see the difference...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetai...a_n=1&tr_t=buy

http://www.crchildandpartners.co.uk/...Kent___36.html (our neighbours seems to have the wrong picture of the living room in it though, it's similar design to ours!)

hope that has worked...

Last edited by bridiej; Aug 8th 2005 at 3:30 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

We've been on the market for 8 weeks now and only one viewer.
Personally I would sack your agent. We had a similar experience, house was on market with them for 12 weeks and we had 3 viewings in all that time Decided to go with a local agent and they were brilliant. Although it still took 9 months to sell (fingers crossed, only exchanged at present) they got so many people in through the door. Even when the market was supposedly dead we were getting no less than 4 viewings a week

We are in the South West, in Dorset BTW.

Good luck
Old Aug 8th 2005, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well, after all that ranting this morning, the viewer we had on Saturday has decided to come for a second look this coming saturday. They are definitely going to buy one of two houses (ours and another one). I am not even getting hopeful. Our house offers more accommodation (we have a study, plus all the rooms are slightly bigger and we have a partially converted loft) but their garden is bigger and more established. Both are on at very similar prices (difference of £50). It could go either way and with our luck at the moment, it wouldn't surprise me if they went with the other property.

Good luck to everyone, again.
Old Aug 9th 2005, 11:51 am
Home at last

Thanks everyone for replying, especially BridieJ with your pics and stuff - your house is LOVELY! I didn't think you could get that nice in the SE for less than £300K these days!

I've called another agent who valued us at the same time as the others but is slightly more expensive and going to see what they have to say about things, then make our decision.

Thanks again

Michelle
Old Aug 9th 2005, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Lunnons is a jewel in the roughLunnons is a jewel in the roughLunnons is a jewel in the roughLunnons is a jewel in the rough

We were lucky I sold our house in three days - and sold it to the first person through the door - however my previous house I had an agent who never sent anyone around and as soon as I changed to a different agent I had viewers - what I am trying to say is I think its your agent - if you haven't signed up for too long change it to someone else! Good luck