Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

OT : Computer Problem with saving files

Wikiposts

OT : Computer Problem with saving files

Old Jun 16th 2005, 3:31 pm
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OT : Computer Problem with saving files

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
OK heres the run down.

BOB & Steve - must have been having a blonde moment, I was trying to drag & drop the shortcut to it & then wondered why it didnt work .

As for the pictures, I can save steves avatar as a gif but I cant save ABCs as a gif? It will now let me choose from jpg or bmp, but not a gif ARGHHHHHHHH!!!!!
Does the drag and drop of a gif from a non BE site work? if not what does it change the format to?

Unless the originating picture is a .gif I dont think the save as function will ever give you the option to convert it to a .gif you will only have .jpg or .bmp.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 3:33 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Bob
errrr....full screen....way to much browser then
but it's simple to grasp the concept of reducing the browser window ain't it
You would think that, but i've had the pleasure of explaining these ideas to 'users'. What's the phrase about old dogs and new tricks?
No reference to you, MrsDB, of course.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by steve99
Does the drag and drop of a gif from a non BE site work? if not what does it change the format to?

Unless the originating picture is a .gif I dont think the save as function will ever give you the option to convert it to a .gif you will only have .jpg or .bmp.
That's what I was trying to say first of all. You're asking for something more than what's possible.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 3:42 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
That's what I was trying to say first of all. You're asking for something more than what's possible.
No no no - I cant save a gif as a gif!! When I try to save ABCs avatar, it only allows me the choose of a jpeg or bitmap! When its a gif.

See this picture?

http://www.wauclib.org/kids/cdromfish.gif

It will neither allow me to save it as a gif NOR to drag it onto the desktop. It will only allow me to save it as a bitmap when in fact it is a gif file.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 3:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You would think that, but i've had the pleasure of explaining these ideas to 'users'. What's the phrase about old dogs and new tricks?
Aye, that's true...the missus works at a bank and has some great stories of people....so scary really *l*
Old Jun 16th 2005, 3:46 pm
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

No reference to you, MrsDB, of course.
I used to pride myself at being a damn good tech support when it came to Windows 95 & 98. I even got offered a job one day over the phone when I called my ISP help desk with a complicated problem that I had - I ended up talking to the team supervisor cos I knew more than all their techies did .
Old Jun 16th 2005, 3:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It will neither allow me to save it as a gif NOR to drag it onto the desktop. It will only allow me to save it as a bitmap when in fact it is a gif file.
you tried renaming the file .gif afterwards and not get any joy?

Best solution is ditch IE anyway, it's a safety hazard....and get FF: http://www.mozilla.org/
Old Jun 16th 2005, 3:54 pm
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

No no no - I cant save a gif as a gif!! When I try to save ABCs avatar, it only allows me the choose of a jpeg or bitmap! When its a gif.
(This isnt my area of IT so I'm guessing/assuming a bit)
But I think thats because ABC's avatar isnt an animated gif, its a static picture so IE only gives the .jpg or .bmp options (this is the same on my system) where'as mine is animated so the default when saving is a gif (as this will maintain the animation) or you can change it to .bmp to just save it as a static image.

See this picture?

When I open this I can drag it as a gif and save it as a gif or a bmp....

Im baffled why it wont allow you to drag it onto your desktop, can you drag jpg or bmp's on to it ok?
Does it gives any error message or just not do it?
Old Jun 16th 2005, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
you tried renaming the file .gif afterwards and not get any joy?

Best solution is ditch IE anyway, it's a safety hazard....and get FF: http://www.mozilla.org/
Good call.

The renaming works for me, got a jpg, change extension to bmp or gif and still usable.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 3:58 pm
Living in Perthection

If you right click and try and drag and drop what does it do? it should give you an option to copy item here?
Old Jun 16th 2005, 4:04 pm
Rocket Scientist

(This isnt my area of IT so I'm guessing/assuming a bit)
But I think thats because ABC's avatar isnt an animated gif, its a static picture so IE only gives the .jpg or .bmp options (this is the same on my system) where'as mine is animated so the default when saving is a gif (as this will maintain the animation) or you can change it to .bmp to just save it as a static image.

When I open this I can drag it as a gif and save it as a gif or a bmp....

Im baffled why it wont allow you to drag it onto your desktop, can you drag jpg or bmp's on to it ok?
Does it gives any error message or just not do it?
Im baffled as well, it just wont do it. Yes it will allow me to drag other things, I can certainly change the file extension etc, even in Win 98 you used to be able to change the file extension & it would be usuable but its the animation that is the problem.

Ive just gone looking for other gifs, it now seems that some of them I can save as gifs, but others I cant (& its random, some static ones like ABCs I can do & some I cant).

Please god, make it stop LOL .

As for the FF comment, I live with a geek who now uses both Windows & Linux. Next you'll be wanting me to start up a DOS prompt!
Old Jun 16th 2005, 4:07 pm
Rocket Scientist

If you right click and try and drag and drop what does it do? it should give you an option to copy item here?
On this picture
it does nothing. No options, nothing happens.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 4:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

. Next you'll be wanting me to start up a DOS prompt!

Nowt wrong wi' a Dos Prompt

JTL
Old Jun 16th 2005, 4:22 pm
Living in Perthection

On this picture
it does nothing. No options, nothing happens.

If you right click on that link (ie dont open the picture) do you get an option to "save target as" ? assuming you do does this default to save it as a gif?
Just thinking that because IE isnt actually opening the file it shouldnt be able to do any formating changes.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 4:37 pm
Rocket Scientist

JTL, you obviously haven't been told yet today? Let me be the first .

If you right click on that link (ie dont open the picture) do you get an option to "save target as" ? assuming you do does this default to save it as a gif?
Just thinking that because IE isnt actually opening the file it shouldnt be able to do any formating changes.
Yes steve, if you save target as, it gives you the option to save it as a gif. But not if you try to save it from IE. Very very weird. At least some of them are working now anyway .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.