gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: OT : Computer Problem with saving files

I see what you're getting at ABC.
This page at Microsoft explains the problem:
Internet Explorer does not save graphics files in the proper format
The solution is as you've described.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 2:58 pm
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Sorry - to try to clarify what I am doing .....

Go to this google search.
http://images.google.com.au/images?q...&imgsz=xxlarge

Every picture on the page is either a jpg or a gif. But when I right click & try to save it, it saves it as a bitmap. I'd like to save it as its original file format (so if its an animated gif I dont have to stuff around animating it again! ), but I dont know were the setting is in XP to change it (if thats the problem?) .
when i take the save picture as option mine defaults to .jpg but I do have the option to change it to .bmp (im running Win2000 Prof, so I would of thought xp was likely to have more not less functionality)

To try saving it on your desktop open up the picture in an internet explorer windown shrink this down a bit so you can see your desktop in the background and then click the picture youve got open (the actual picture not a link to it) while holding the button drag the picture off to where you can see the desktop and release the button, you should then have a new icon on your desktop which is the picture (it will probably associate itself to PSP but will hopefully be in .jpg format)
Steve
Old Jun 16th 2005, 2:59 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Temporarily try making it bigger, say 3000mb ( sorry Bob) and just see what happens.
You may need to restart IE, to activate the change.
OK I made it 3000 & now it will let me save it as a jpeg or bitmap. But not a gif! LOL

Edit - I mean saving a gif as a gif.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 3:01 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
I see what you're getting at ABC.
This page at Microsoft explains the problem:
Internet Explorer does not save graphics files in the proper format
The solution is as you've described.
Thanks for locating that for us. I couldn't recall where I had seen the info before.

And this is the Microsoft explanation

SYMPTOMS
When you click the Save Picture As button for a graphics file in Microsoft Internet Explorer, you may be able to save the file only as a .bmp file even if the file is in another format (such as GIF or JPEG). The file name may also appear as "Untitled."

CAUSE
This issue may occur if either of the following conditions is true:• This issue may occur if your Temporary Internet pages cache is full.
• This issue can occur if you have "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" selected in Tools, Options, Advanced Tab and are loading the page over a secure connection (https).
For additional information about another cause for this issue, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
250747 Right-clicking, selecting "Save picture as" does not save image with correct extension

WORKAROUND
Depending on the specific cause for your issue, use one of the following methods to work around this issue.
Method 1
Delete the temporary Internet files. To do so, click Tools, click Internet Options, click the General tab, and then click the Delete Files button.

Note To locate the Temporary Internet Files folder, click Options on the Tools menu, click the General tab, and then click Settings. The current location appears in the Settings dialog box.

Method 2
To work around the problem, click Tools, click Internet Options, click the Advanced tab, click to clear the Do not save encrypted pages to disk check box, click View, and then click Refresh. The Do not save encrypted pages to disk check box is under the Security section.

STATUS
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section of this article.

Old Jun 16th 2005, 3:03 pm
ABCDiamond

OK I made it 3000 & now it will let me save it as a jpeg or bitmap. But not a gif! LOL

Edit - I mean saving a gif as a gif.
Try saving Steve99's avatar, that one should allow a gif option.

Mine is jpg or bmp only.

Old Jun 16th 2005, 3:04 pm
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I just did that, the encryption part wasnt checked anyway, will see if its fixed it.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Method 2
To work around the problem, click Tools, click Internet Options, click the Advanced tab, click to clear the Do not save encrypted pages to disk check box, click View, and then click Refresh. The Do not save encrypted pages to disk check box is under the Security section.
Not sure what this bit is for. If you uncheck this option, I read this that it allows IE to save encrypted info to disk. So in effect taking up more space in your Temp files folder?
btw my IE installs have this box unchecked. I've never knowingly changed it.
The first method makes sense, so I'd stick to that.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 3:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Try right clicking on any picture on this webpage & try to save it - don't know what yours does?
not having any probs with the pics here...have you just tried renaming the files to say .jpg after saving them?
Old Jun 16th 2005, 3:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Im using IE - ummmmm how do you drag a picture off a webpage onto your desktop????
Errr....mouse, click and hold over the image, drag mouse so it hovers over desktop, or an open folder, release mouse button...
Old Jun 16th 2005, 3:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

I just checked, my cache size was set to almost 2,500mb! (dunno why cos I havent changed it since I got the computer). I've made it smaller now, makes no difference!
probably because it's set to a percentage of your hard drive...
Old Jun 16th 2005, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
Errr....mouse, click and hold over the image, drag mouse so it hovers over desktop, or an open folder, release mouse button...
Many folk have their browser window (and all other windows) maximised to full screen, esp. when working on a 15" monitor. Need to run some lessons if you're going to go any further.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 3:20 pm
Rocket Scientist

OK heres the run down.

BOB & Steve - must have been having a blonde moment, I was trying to drag & drop the shortcut to it & then wondered why it didnt work .

As for the pictures, I can save steves avatar as a gif but I cant save ABCs as a gif? It will now let me choose from jpg or bmp, but not a gif ARGHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Jun 16th 2005 at 3:24 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 3:21 pm
Rocket Scientist

Originally Posted by Bob
probably because it's set to a percentage of your hard drive...
yes, of course (you would never know that I used to work on a computer helpdesk, would you? )
Old Jun 16th 2005, 3:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
Many folk have their browser window (and all other windows) maximised to full screen, esp. when working on a 15" monitor. Need to run some lessons if you're going to go any further.
errrr....full screen....way to much browser then
but it's simple to grasp the concept of reducing the browser window ain't it
Old Jun 16th 2005, 3:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

yes, of course (you would never know that I used to work on a computer helpdesk, would you? )
hehe...well the same could be said for most tech support these days

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.