Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

OT : Computer Problem with saving files

OT : Computer Problem with saving files

Old Jun 17th 2005, 1:46 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default OT : Computer Problem with saving files

Someone please help! It's driving me mad :scared:

When I right click on a picture on a webpage & choose "save as" it always comes up as a bitmap file & there is never an option to save it as anything else in the dropdown menu (even though most of the time its a jpeg or gif). Im using Windows XP.

Anyone have any idea where to change the setting?
Old Jun 17th 2005, 1:55 am
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OT : Computer Problem with saving files

sorry mrs d, ive just tried it on a real estate website and right clcked and saved as and it ws a jpeg. there is a little drop down menu after youved saved as,(i think this is what you mean) and if it is a jpeg, then it wil save as that.

I think you can save as gif then maybe use a photo editing suite and then save as jpeg.

Long way round, but im sue ive done it this way before.
Sorry if this is no help

alk
Old Jun 17th 2005, 2:17 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alkristensen
sorry mrs d, ive just tried it on a real estate website and right clcked and saved as and it ws a jpeg. there is a little drop down menu after youved saved as,(i think this is what you mean) and if it is a jpeg, then it wil save as that.

I think you can save as gif then maybe use a photo editing suite and then save as jpeg.

Long way round, but im sue ive done it this way before.
Sorry if this is no help

alk
Thanx Al, yeah its the drop down menu as you said, it only has bitmap, no other options & it doesnt matter if the file itself is a gif or jpeg, it comes up as bitmap.

Ohh well as you said, I'll just keep saving & then using PSP to change them to the file format I want!
Old Jun 17th 2005, 2:23 am
ABCDiamond

You need to clear some space in your Temporary Internet files area.

This happens to me at times, and I worked it out recently. It even stops some smileys working, (remember my old problem )

I'm not sure what needs clearing EXACTLY, I did too much and lost a load of stored usernames and passwords etc

Old Jun 17th 2005, 2:23 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Someone please help! It's driving me mad :scared:

When I right click on a picture on a webpage & choose "save as" it always comes up as a bitmap file & there is never an option to save it as anything else in the dropdown menu (even though most of the time its a jpeg or gif). Im using Windows XP.

Anyone have any idea where to change the setting?
I maybe wrong but I don't think what you are trying to do will work.
If you wanted to save a bmp as a jpeg or gif, the 'save as' option would have to have some sort of processor to do the conversion. So you have to save it in the same format as the web page holds it. Then you can use another tool to do the conversion.
It's seems like a nice idea, but I don't think 'Save As' works the way you want it to.
Old Jun 17th 2005, 2:26 am
ABCDiamond

To avoid deleting things, try this first:

Whilst in Internet Explorer go to (on top line):
Tools
Internet Options
Temporary Internet Files
Settings

Then increase the amount of disk space to use. I have mine set at 2,000MB now.

Last edited by ABCDiamond; Jun 17th 2005 at 2:50 am.

Old Jun 17th 2005, 2:26 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What browser are you using?

Just drag and drop the file onto your desktop...that'll be the easiest way of saving the pic...
Old Jun 17th 2005, 2:28 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Then increase the amount of disk space to use. I have mine set at 2,000MB now.
Blimey...bit extreme...knackeres performance having it that big, unless you've got your cache on another drive to the main windows page file...50-80mb should really be enough..
Old Jun 17th 2005, 2:33 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
I maybe wrong but I don't think what you are trying to do will work.
If you wanted to save a bmp as a jpeg or gif, the 'save as' option would have to have some sort of processor to do the conversion. So you have to save it in the same format as the web page holds it. Then you can use another tool to do the conversion.
It's seems like a nice idea, but I don't think 'Save As' works the way you want it to.
I know what you mean, but it is saving gif & jpg files as bitmaps! The problem is that its not registering that the files are gifs or jpegs.

Try right clicking on any picture on this webpage & try to save it - don't know what yours does?

I NEVER had this sort of problem with Win98!!!
Old Jun 17th 2005, 2:37 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Bob
Blimey...bit extreme...knackeres performance having it that big, unless you've got your cache on another drive to the main windows page file...50-80mb should really be enough..
I thought the computer had slowed down a bit !!

Maybe i'll try to trim the size down a bit again. I'm just going through the files now, and deleting them manually as there is a load of rubbish, and tons of temp BE files !!

Old Jun 17th 2005, 2:38 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally Posted by Bob
What browser are you using?

Just drag and drop the file onto your desktop...that'll be the easiest way of saving the pic...
Im using IE - ummmmm how do you drag a picture off a webpage onto your desktop????
Old Jun 17th 2005, 2:44 am
Rocket Scientist

Sorry - to try to clarify what I am doing .....

Go to this google search.
http://images.google.com.au/images?q...&imgsz=xxlarge

Every picture on the page is either a jpg or a gif. But when I right click & try to save it, it saves it as a bitmap. I'd like to save it as its original file format (so if its an animated gif I dont have to stuff around animating it again! ), but I dont know were the setting is in XP to change it (if thats the problem?) .
Old Jun 17th 2005, 2:49 am
ABCDiamond

Sorry - to try to clarify what I am doing .....

Go to this google search.
http://images.google.com.au/images?q...&imgsz=xxlarge

Every picture on the page is either a jpg or a gif. But when I right click & try to save it, it saves it as a bitmap. I'd like to save it as its original file format (so if its an animated gif I dont have to stuff around animating it again! ), but I dont know were the setting is in XP to change it (if thats the problem?) .
They give me options to save as JPEG or BMP.

Before I changed my settings, as in my above post, they would have only allowed me the BMP option aswell.

Old Jun 17th 2005, 2:52 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
They give me options to save as JPEG or BMP.

Before I changed my settings, as in my above post, they would have only allowed me the BMP option aswell.
I just checked, my cache size was set to almost 2,500mb! (dunno why cos I havent changed it since I got the computer). I've made it smaller now, makes no difference!
Old Jun 17th 2005, 2:55 am
ABCDiamond

I just checked, my cache size was set to almost 2,500mb! (dunno why cos I havent changed it since I got the computer). I've made it smaller now, makes no difference!
Temporarily try making it bigger, say 3000mb ( sorry Bob) and just see what happens.
You may need to restart IE, to activate the change.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.