Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

OT - Computer CD Drive

OT - Computer CD Drive

Old Apr 15th 2004, 2:21 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default OT - Computer CD Drive

Help!!! Knew it was tempting fate to say this pc had given us no problems.......Have spent all evening trying to solve the problem, if you guys have any suggestions we'll try them in the morning.

Basic Packard Bell home pc , about a year old, the CD drive has gone weird. It will read and play CDs but will not write to them. We've tried several CDs, including ones with stuff already on - it reads whats on them, but won't add any new stuff. If you put in a blank CD it acts as if it is writing to it, then when you look at it, the CD is blank, and the computer views it as still being a new,blank CD. We have tried writing Word files, Jpegs and Mpegs, none of them will copy across. I've tried "move" as well as "copy". It will write to floppy discs, just not to CDs.
We have Norton antivirus which is up to date and says the pc is clean.
Haven't put any dodgy discs in - the last few in there have just been music CDs playing.
We've rebooted it, kicked it, sworn at it, cuddled it, and are now off to bed to have nightmares about it......
Any ideas........
Old Apr 15th 2004, 2:25 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OT - Computer CD Drive

Originally posted by Pollyana
Help!!! Knew it was tempting fate to say this pc had given us no problems.......Have spent all evening trying to solve the problem, if you guys have any suggestions we'll try them in the morning.

Basic Packard Bell home pc , about a year old, the CD drive has gone weird. It will read and play CDs but will not write to them. We've tried several CDs, including ones with stuff already on - it reads whats on them, but won't add any new stuff. If you put in a blank CD it acts as if it is writing to it, then when you look at it, the CD is blank, and the computer views it as still being a new,blank CD. We have tried writing Word files, Jpegs and Mpegs, none of them will copy across. I've tried "move" as well as "copy". It will write to floppy discs, just not to CDs.
Haven't put any dodgy discs in - the last few in there have just been music CDs playing.
We've rebooted it, kicked it, sworn at it, cuddled it, and are now off to bed to have nightmares about it......
Any ideas........
Tried turning if off and counting to ten before turning it on again? Always works for me
Old Apr 15th 2004, 2:28 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, tried that!!! Good suggestion though!!!
Old Apr 15th 2004, 2:29 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, tried that!!! Good suggestion though!!!
That's it then. I'm all out of teccie advice.
Old Apr 15th 2004, 2:32 pm
The Outback Beast

fogmeister is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you running Nero Burning as you may have ticked the box to test burn or simulation burn.
Fog
Old Apr 15th 2004, 2:34 pm
Home and Happy

I'd take it apart if I knew what I was looking for!! If its still duff on Saturday its out with the trusty screwdriver......!
Old Apr 15th 2004, 2:35 pm
She's a bird, you know

I'd take it apart if I knew what I was looking for!! If its still duff on Saturday its out with the trusty screwdriver......!
You'll end up like me and the washing machine, Pol!
Old Apr 15th 2004, 2:36 pm
Home and Happy

Sorry Fog, whats Nero burning? As far as I know I'mnot running it.
Old Apr 15th 2004, 2:55 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

What burning software are you using?
Old Apr 15th 2004, 3:22 pm
The Outback Beast

Are you running Nero Burning as you may have ticked the box to test burn or simulation burn.
Fog
Old Apr 15th 2004, 4:20 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally posted by fogmeister
Fog
it is an extremely good point this fog.... i had the same trouble once with a new cd writer. I helps when you read the ...'in manual.

Either that or the drive could be just buggered. they're cheap and easy to replace though polly!

PS,... have you tried the trusted restore system settings on this one.
Old Apr 15th 2004, 7:58 pm
The Outback Beast

Originally posted by scutterUK
it is an extremely good point this fog.... i had the same trouble once with a new cd writer. I helps when you read the ...'in manual.

Either that or the drive could be just buggered. they're cheap and easy to replace though polly!

PS,... have you tried the trusted restore system settings on this one.
Thankyou Scutter,
failing that have you given the pc case a good slap, I often use a 2lb at work often get miraculous results

Fogz
Old Apr 15th 2004, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OT - Computer CD Drive

Any ideas........

Hate to worry you but I have completely lost my CD drive as well it is there but the PC doesn't recognise it (Packard Bell basic as well) and have searched for viruses?
I am completely lost haven't done anything different and I just dont know what to try next.
I keep getting dodgy emails and just deleting them could it be a Britishexpats disease :scared: :scared:
Old Apr 15th 2004, 8:49 pm
Home and Happy

I don't think it uses the Nero thing, all I'm trying to do is use the stuff that came installed on the computer; click on a word document, then click on Copy to CD, using the CD Wizard thats on the pc already, Haven't installed any other burning software.

Dicko, mine does see the drive is there, just won't write to it. Good theory though - might have something in it as we have had a lot of cr*p e-mails, though haven't opened any of them. Norton is uptodate and hasn't found anything, so heres hoping.....
Old Apr 15th 2004, 8:53 pm
Home and Happy

And having just posted that, I've tried again and it has now lost the drive. Won't read discs either (which it would do last night) and won't play audio discs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.