Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

OT - bit of pc help pleeeese!

OT - bit of pc help pleeeese!

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 11:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default OT - bit of pc help pleeeese!

Help! Can one of you IT whizkids out there help? My pc seems to have lost the files with the alternatvie cursors in. Do you know what I mean, the dinosaurs and stuff that were loaded in Windows when I bought it. Its gone back to the boring old arrow, and says the files are lost or corrupt.
Can I reload those files from somewhere? Or does anyone have an alternative source of silly cursors?

Thanks guys

Pollyana

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 11:51 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OT - bit of pc help pleeeese!

Originally posted by Pollyana
Help! Can one of you IT whizkids out there help? My pc seems to have lost the files with the alternatvie cursors in. Do you know what I mean, the dinosaurs and stuff that were loaded in Windows when I bought it. Its gone back to the boring old arrow, and says the files are lost or corrupt.
Can I reload those files from somewhere? Or does anyone have an alternative source of silly cursors?

Thanks guys

Pollyana

pollyanna - it was the sheep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they nicked some of my files too!! I had a groovy one of noises/sounds which seems to have disappeared since they came on the scene!
dont they get annoying after a bit? I have deleted mine, got fed up of 'em peeing on the taskbar...!

Sue
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 11:59 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Wish I could blame the sheep but they've been here too long! No, I blame my mate who did one of those disk cleanups that he said would get rid of the rubbish!
Its probably very simple to reload them but I don't know where to look!

Still I'm sure I shall have worse problems with it when it moves south, so maybe I should stop moaning!!
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 12:05 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Firstly.....do a google search for cursors, you'll find loads.

Check out :

http://www.draac.com/cursors/

Secondly...

Not wishing to detract from your post Polly...but i am having a PC prob too. Instead of posting a load of new offtopic threads i'll stick it in here and hope for help !!! (if thats ok )

I used to be able to bring up explorer using the windows key+E as a shortcut. For some reason i can't anymore. Any ideas?
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 12:19 pm
Home and Happy

Thanks Pete, I'll give that a try and let you know later! Feel free to hijack the post - I don't mind! Can't give you an answer to your problem though...!
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 12:24 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

I used to be able to bring up explorer using the windows key+E as a shortcut. For some reason i can't anymore. Any ideas

just check that the windows key is working (may be keyboard)
if you hit the windows key it should bring up the start menu-this will let you see if it is working

after that sorry no ideas
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 12:26 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

]Originally posted by Pollyanna Feel free to hijack the post - I don't mind!
Tee hee. Thanks

Originally posted by seang
just check that the windows key is working (may be keyboard)
if you hit the windows key it should bring up the start menu-this will let you see if it is working

after that sorry no ideas
Nope.....key works fine.

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 2:11 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

pollyanna,
try this
go into the start menu then click on control panel, select appearance and themes and you should see a menu with mouse controls in it. if you click on it, it should open a menu of all things mousey and you pick out your dinosaurs!

failing that, have you looked in your recycle bin? the clean-up thingy might have chucked it in there!!

modern technology........

I still have problems with the on/off button

sue
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 6:04 pm
Home and Happy

Hi Sue,
No, done the control panel bit and the dinosaurs etc are gone; however I've now followed the link PeteY came up with and have got not only a cat as a pointer, but a witch instead of an hourglass! Looking for a wolf now to chase the sheep......!
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 10:45 pm
New South Welshie

<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: OT - bit of pc help pleeeese!

Originally posted by Pollyana

Thanks guys

Pollyana

Hi Pollyana,

What you do is uninstall and reinstall your pointers. You do this (in WinXP - I can give u instructions for other Windows) by going to control panel, add/remove programs, add/remove windows components, accessories and utilities, accessories, and take the check mark off the box for mouse pointers. Next to the end of the wizard.

Now go back and repeat the process putting the check box back in the mouse pointers box. You may need a Windows CD for sources.

Or........carry on downloading new ones and themes from the net. They usually get stored in a folder c:\windows\cursors. Take a backup copy of this folder somewhere where you can find them easily (e.g. my documents) if you dont fancy losing them again !

Hope this helps.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 10:50 pm
Home and Happy

I shall give that a try tomorrow; bit concerning that they've vanished! Many thanks!
Pollyana
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 10:58 pm
New South Welshie

<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by PeteY

I used to be able to bring up explorer using the windows key+E as a shortcut. For some reason i can't anymore. Any ideas?

Hey PeteY

Click Start.....is "Explorer" in your start menu? If not, create a shortcut to c:\windows\explorer.exe by right clicking the file, and create desktop shortcut. Rename the shortcut to EXPLORER and put the shortcut in your Start Menu.

If the shortcut IS ALREADY there, it must be called something which doesnt start with E. for example Windows Explorer, in which case the win key + W would be the shortcut or My Computer where the keys would be Win + M

Does that make sense? If not, PM / email me and I'll talk you through it.
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 12:04 am
A Male Member

Originally posted by <")))><
Hey PeteY

Click Start.....is "Explorer" in your start menu? If not, create a shortcut to c:\windows\explorer.exe by right clicking the file, and create desktop shortcut. Rename the shortcut to EXPLORER and put the shortcut in your Start Menu.

If the shortcut IS ALREADY there, it must be called something which doesnt start with E. for example Windows Explorer, in which case the win key + W would be the shortcut or My Computer where the keys would be Win + M

Does that make sense? If not, PM / email me and I'll talk you through it.
Make sense

I will have a go tomorrow (the probs on a diff computer).

Thanks for the help

Pete.