Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Orthodontist Treatment

Orthodontist Treatment

Old Jan 6th 2008, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

noofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nice
Default Orthodontist Treatment

Hi,

Just wondered if any of you out there could give me some advice re orthodontic treatment.

My 14 year old son had braces fitted about 6 weeks ago here in the UK - he has top and bottom tram tracks and another one on the roof of his mouth as he has an overbite.

We are hoping to be in Australia by August 2008, obviously he will still have his braces - does anyone have any experience of the cost of continuing this treatment once in Australia and can anyone recommend a good Orthodontist on the Gold Coast - Coomera area.

I know it's going to be expensive so I just want to be prepared.

Thanks
Old Jan 6th 2008, 11:49 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Orthodontist Treatment

Originally Posted by noofie
Hi,

Just wondered if any of you out there could give me some advice re orthodontic treatment.

My 14 year old son had braces fitted about 6 weeks ago here in the UK - he has top and bottom tram tracks and another one on the roof of his mouth as he has an overbite.

We are hoping to be in Australia by August 2008, obviously he will still have his braces - does anyone have any experience of the cost of continuing this treatment once in Australia and can anyone recommend a good Orthodontist on the Gold Coast - Coomera area.

Thanks

Your biggest expense has already been covered and done (fitting of the braces)

Can't help with the Orthodontist in GC as i'm in WA but you'll just need check up and tightening etc!
Old Jan 6th 2008, 12:14 pm
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by noofie
Hi,

Thanks
my daughter had braces fitted, top and bottom before we arrived in Adelaide and was 6 months into an anticipated 18 months of treatment.

It costs us $145 every 4-6 weeks for 'tweaking'.

Our last 2 appointments were less than 5 minutes each, just to be told, 'yes everything is progressing well, I'll see you in another month!'

We have been here 11 months now and the treatment still isn't complete. I believe she'll have a retainer in March and then hopefully the end will be nigh.

So start saving!
Old Jan 6th 2008, 12:50 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

We have our fist visit for adjustments scheduled for this week in Burleigh.

Cost is estimated to be in the region of $270 but this is also for a new analysis for a future treatment plan with a review of the treatment to date, so can't give you the normal monthly adjustment costs just yet.

Our old dentist gave us the impressions, x rays, measurements, treatment history and a CD Rom to give to the new guy, good if you can get something similar from yours before you leave.

Worth noting that some dentists are also qualified to do orthdontic work.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

noofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nice

Thanks for your replies - may not be as bad as I was expecting. I had read to can cost up to $8000 but I suppose that is for the foundation work before the x-rays and the fitting etc which we are lucky enough to have had done.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 1:51 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Once you've go to the monthly adjustments stage the payments do settle down ok.