Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Orthodontist - continuing treatment

Orthodontist - continuing treatment

Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Orthodontist - continuing treatment

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
I have no idea how people afford OZ dentist prices. Maybe they don't and have rotten teeth, who knows.
All i know is that i waited til i came back to UK to get my kids braces done, all free of charge
Loads of adults here have gobs with no teeth, gummy 40 year olds seem quite common.

Quite amazed that with the price of dental care the amount of sugar aussies feed their kids Find food very sugary here, you would think with the price of dental people would be totally against it, but no.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 10:57 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Queensland only recently added fluoride to the water, some 20 odd years after most other states.

My son;s orthodontist bill gets finalised soon, been paying it monthly for about 2 years now.

Might be be able to afford to replace the car now.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 10:58 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayr
Queensland only recently added fluoride to the water, some 20 odd years after most other states.

My son;s orthodontist bill gets finalised soon, been paying it monthly for about 2 years now.

Might be be able to afford to replace the car now.
My eldest daughter's bill finishes in May. Just in time to start paying for the second daughter
Old Mar 9th 2010, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

just a quick tip for those that kids need braces,it worth looking at these.

My daughter hates the gap in between her front teeth,she also has a smaller gap in between another tooth and she has got a myobrace,get it from some dentists,google it,approx $400 all up,they wear them all night and for a couple of hours in the evening,its like a gumshield,we noticed the difference within a week.Highly recommend them.
donna
Old Mar 9th 2010, 11:20 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by donna
just a quick tip for those that kids need braces,it worth looking at these.

My daughter hates the gap in between her front teeth,she also has a smaller gap in between another tooth and she has got a myobrace,get it from some dentists,google it,approx $400 all up,they wear them all night and for a couple of hours in the evening,its like a gumshield,we noticed the difference within a week.Highly recommend them.
donna
First born has just had a spring put in her braces at the front to create a gap, Had the spring fitted at 10am last Wednesday, 8pm same day her teeth suddenly pinged apart. I imagine if you have the opposite done, as soon as you stop the procedure, the teeth will ping back to where they want to be, not where you want them to be. Orthodontist said that as soon as her treatment is finished, the gap will close up again very quickly.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

its worth people having a look on the site cos even with major corrections they are having success.Dentist didnt say that problem would return,something to do with tongue positioning etc and retraining.
anyway thought i would share.
donna
Old Mar 10th 2010, 1:06 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by donna
its worth people having a look on the site cos even with major corrections they are having success.Dentist didnt say that problem would return,something to do with tongue positioning etc and retraining.
anyway thought i would share.
donna
Definitely interesting if you're not happy with the gap. Just don't get the not moving back bit, even after braces you're supposed to wear the retainer every night for ever or have a permanent one put in so there's no movement.

I think the gap is cute, First Born looks so different
Old Mar 10th 2010, 4:50 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
I have no idea how people afford OZ dentist prices. Maybe they don't and have rotten teeth, who knows.
Totally agree.

I've never seen so many kids with braces until i arrived here,i'm sure its a scam by the Dentists.

Dentist to 'soon to be skint' parents .........

"sorry mum/dad your child's teeth are gonna look crap in 'x' amount of years so unfortunately he/she requires braces.....that'll be $7000 .Oh i forgot you have 2 kids ......thats 14 k please"

Gullible parents .......

"Oh dear thats seems quite expensive.I'm not sure if little jonny and jenny really need braces.I may seek a second opinion"

Dentist (rubbing his hands in glee at the thought of another brand new 7 series BMW)

"i really wouldnt bother.All us dentists tell our clients that their kids require mega-expensive treatment and the great Aussie public fall for it everytime.Please set up an account on the way out,that way you can pay off your debt over 2/3/5 years.....aint we nice people"

Parents ......

"oh shite...there goes the new car/holiday/extention/food for the next few years"

What a con

Last edited by stuckinblighty; Mar 10th 2010 at 5:04 am.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 5:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
Totally agree.

I've never seen so many kids with braces until i arrived here,i'm sure its a scam by the Dentists.

Dentist to 'soon to be skint' parents .........

"sorry mum/dad your child's teeth are gonna look crap in 'x' amount of years so unfortunately he/she requires braces.....that'll be $7000 .Oh i forgot you have 2 kids ......thats 14 k please"

Gullible parents .......

"Oh dear thats seems quite expensive.I'm not sure if little jonny and jenny really need braces.I may seek a second opinion"

Dentist (rubbing his hands in glee at the thought of another brand new 7 series BMW)

"i really wouldnt bother.All us dentists tell our clients that their kids require mega-expensive treatment and the great Aussie public fall for it everytime.Please set up an account on the way out,that way you can pay off your debt over 2/3/5 years.....aint we nice people"

Parents ......

"oh shite...there goes the new car/holiday/extention/food for the next few years"

What a con
I tend to agree.... although you tell my wife that. She just says, if it costs extra she will just work extra. Which would involve an extra day a fortnight at the hospital..... Which means I end up doing more bleeding housework. I find it really hard to be civil to our Ortho.... especially when he brags to my youngest about his cars (Audi and a Beemer) and his tennis court and his swimming pool.... and thats fair dinkum.

Not often I complain about personal stuff.... Heres a post I was going to place before your reply.

Originally Posted by SLC
Hello!

I'm currently in the middle of my treatment and will likely be moving to Sydney in the next 3 months.

I'm wondering whether anyone has been in the same position?
Can someone give me a rough idea of what orthodontic treatment costs out in Australia? I need to know if I'm going to be out of pocket!

Also, if anyone can recommend a good orthodontist in Sydney that would be really useful.

Many thanks

If there is an alternative get it done there.

I wonder if Aus Orthodontists are dearer than American ones now ?

I have to be approaching the 20k mark for our two kids now. We had that no braces thing on the youngest ..... It didnt work . I've got no idea if there is any come back or not. We did this because both of our older two had to have Jaw operations.

We are now on the traditional method with our youngest of Braces and extractions at cost according to our ortho, who was the one that recommended the no braces scheme in the first place. This has been going on for circa 5 years now. The no Braces scheme for him costs circa 6 to 7k plus extra (cleaning/fluoride treatment etc)

I actually beleive he is doing the braces at cost.... cos it's only cost 2,500 k on top and he reckons thats all he is going to charge us.... so for our 11 year old at least 7,500 plus 2,500. ..... Its probably more like 11,500 all up as I havent wanted to look at the figures. The Daughter just had braces which cost around 6 to 7k

We do get some money back.... IE: when you reach the threshold for medicals expenses in one year from tax... and around 800 dollars per annum from 'our health scheme.

It's been a real millstone around our neck.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 10th 2010 at 5:55 am.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 6:08 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

I feel your pain Ozzie.The figures you quote are simply a disgrace.Theres no way i'd be able to afford it and i'm surprised many people can
Old Mar 11th 2010, 8:17 pm
SLC
Just Joined

SLC is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the responses. I have already paid for half of my treatment here, so to think about spending the same amount in full over in Australia seriously makes me reconsider the job offer.

This is my only sticking point at the moment - if it weren't for my orthodontics treatment I'd be over there in a flash!

What shall I do!?!
Old Mar 12th 2010, 12:20 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by SLC
Thanks for all the responses. I have already paid for half of my treatment here, so to think about spending the same amount in full over in Australia seriously makes me reconsider the job offer.

This is my only sticking point at the moment - if it weren't for my orthodontics treatment I'd be over there in a flash!

What shall I do!?!
I think it would be worth staying up late one night and ringing a few orthodontists wherever you are headed and asking them. They may say they'd have to see the work already done but they may give you more of an idea and if they'd give you a discount - no harm in trying anyway. Just go online, check out the yellow pages for orthodontists and forget the phone bill for a while
Old Mar 12th 2010, 1:08 am
Forum Regular

Bonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really nice

Originally Posted by SLC

What shall I do!?!
My son had orthodontic treatment in the UK from age 8 (poor thing!) - we paid about £2000 for that. We arrived here when he was aged 10 and the Auusie orthodontist has just carried on from where the UK one left off.

We have a bill from the Aussie one for $5900 (paid an inital payment of $1400 and then at $150 a month) and that includes 10% off because my son went to primary school with his son and they were mates

Now we've been told that he has imapcted canines which he may well need surgery for and which isn't included in what we are paying for already. God knows how much that surgery will cost. Off to Medibank shortly to check that the surgery isn't defined as orthdontic work and subject to the orthodontic limit on the policy.

Thank god we only have one child!
Old Mar 12th 2010, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

emma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to behold

OMG! my son who is 8 has just been referred to the hospital over here and is eligible for free care as our dentist noticed last year on a routine x ray that he has 8/9 of his adult teeth missing completely and will need a lot of work. thats a bit worrying that its that much money
Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emma75
OMG! my son who is 8 has just been referred to the hospital over here and is eligible for free care as our dentist noticed last year on a routine x ray that he has 8/9 of his adult teeth missing completely and will need a lot of work. thats a bit worrying that its that much money
Some major work is eligible to be done through the free public hospital system. Not sure what though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.