British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Orthodontic Treatment - Costs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/orthodontic-treatment-costs-171960/)

Sandra Aug 13th 2003 4:26 am

Orthodontic Treatment - Costs

I have just stopped hyperventilating and will post the following on the costs of treatment for my daughter.

To avoid extraction, if possible, 12 months treatment to widen top palate - $1500.

Normal orthondontic braces - 18/24 months of treatment $5225* (quoted now but will be subject to annual rises)

This is after we paid $275 for initial consult. Our Health plan covers us for 65% of costs (after 12 months waiting period) up to a maximum of 1500 per calendar year. We are now looking into the rebate we might get on on tax? Can anyone help, ie if we pay for all the treatment in one tax year, ie pay the total 6725 before July 1st next year I was told I might be eligible for a rebate on the money paid for treatment over 1500 via my tax bill. Has anyone any experience of this. I was trying to work out whether it was better to pay for it all in the current tax year rather than get two limits of 1500 applicable for the tax rebate cause I am ok on the calendar year stuff as far as NIB goes. Flip me my mind is not up to this issue. I am also feeling a little quilty as my son wants braces but I think it might be a little costly at the moment. Trouble was he was told in the UK he could start treatment in a year and here I have been told by the dentist - 'oh they are not too bad leave them' leaving them is obviously the cheaper option!? Seriously that won't happen I will find the money somehow just thought it might be useful to know about the tax rebate possibility that way it might even be worth starting his treatment and paying for it all in one go?

Any thoughts?

Cheers

dotty Aug 13th 2003 4:33 am

I am pretty sure that the rebate is only on 20% of the cost above the $1500 dollars. Its certainly not a rebate according to what tax % you are on.

We kept saving up thousands of dollars of dental/ prescription/ gap stuff/ and the rebate was so pathetic we gave up with all the hassle of the paperwork.

pommie bastard Aug 13th 2003 4:35 am

Re: Orthodontic Treatment - Costs

Originally posted by Sandra
I have just stopped hyperventilating and will post the following on the costs of treatment for my daughter.

To avoid extraction, if possible, 12 months treatment to widen top palate - $1500.

Normal orthondontic braces - 18/24 months of treatment $5225* (quoted now but will be subject to annual rises)

This is after we paid $275 for initial consult. Our Health plan covers us for 65% of costs (after 12 months waiting period) up to a maximum of 1500 per calendar year. We are now looking into the rebate we might get on on tax? Can anyone help, ie if we pay for all the treatment in one tax year, ie pay the total 6725 before July 1st next year I was told I might be eligible for a rebate on the money paid for treatment over 1500 via my tax bill. Has anyone any experience of this. I was trying to work out whether it was better to pay for it all in the current tax year rather than get two limits of 1500 applicable for the tax rebate cause I am ok on the calendar year stuff as far as NIB goes. Flip me my mind is not up to this issue. I am also feeling a little quilty as my son wants braces but I think it might be a little costly at the moment. Trouble was he was told in the UK he could start treatment in a year and here I have been told by the dentist - 'oh they are not too bad leave them' leaving them is obviously the cheaper option!? Seriously that won't happen I will find the money somehow just thought it might be useful to know about the tax rebate possibility that way it might even be worth starting his treatment and paying for it all in one go?

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Yes the land of plenty is wonderful is it not , sorry that was your opinion before you woke up to the fact health costs here , you can offset some against your tax but still leaves more than 70% you cannot.
Smile and pay up it a small price to pay for living in paradise.

:D :cool: :beer:

Sandra Aug 13th 2003 4:57 am

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Yes the land of plenty is wonderful is it not , sorry that was your opinion before you woke up to the fact health costs here , you can offset some against your tax but still leaves more than 70% you cannot.
Smile and pay up it a small price to pay for living in paradise.

PB I have no wish to spat with you - I did my research and I am well satisfied I knew where I was coming to - I am not in paradise nor was I in the UK. I was seeking advice on a specifc tax rebate.

Thanks Dotty - I went looking seeing that it was possible as you said and came up with the following figures.

7000 paid in one tax year for orthodontic treatment
1121.25 back from NIB = approx 65% of 1775 - one calender year
1500 back from NIB = for other calendar year subject to limit
= 4378.75 total after rebate = 2878.75 @ 20%
I will eligible for a rebate in my tax of 575 approx!

Ok as I have the receipits and every other detail of bits and pieces we have paid out for I will make another file in my tax account drawer and make this claim at the end of this tax year. It will reduce along with NIB my total cost for daughters treatment to 3808 - more manageable than 7000 anyways.

As you said smaller than this and could be hassle but as there will be other details treament this year for all of us the total amount is going to add up.

Cheers

pommie bastard Aug 13th 2003 5:12 am

Originally posted by Sandra
PB I have no wish to spat with you - I did my research and I am well satisfied I knew where I was coming to - I am not in paradise nor was I in the UK. I was seeking advice on a specifc tax rebate.

Cheers
I can remember you shouting the odds regarding tax advice in Australia whats changed and why worry about this if you did your research ?

DianeOZ Aug 13th 2003 5:21 am

Thanks for the shock Sandra! At least I know how much we'll have to stump up if our kids need braces (oh sorry - forgot annual rises - double it) Better start a dental fund looking a the wonkiness of my sons teeth. At what age do they decide if they need braces n' stuff. He had to have one out to make room for another to come down and they are a bit wonky but no-one has mentioned braces yet. (he's 8)

:scared:

Sandra Aug 13th 2003 5:49 am

Originally posted by DianeOZ
Thanks for the shock Sandra! At least I know how much we'll have to stump up if our kids need braces (oh sorry - forgot annual rises - double it) Better start a dental fund looking a the wonkiness of my sons teeth. At what age do they decide if they need braces n' stuff. He had to have one out to make room for another to come down and they are a bit wonky but no-one has mentioned braces yet. (he's 8)

:scared:
Daughter is just turning 11 and starting early to widen palate first to hopefully avoid later extractions. Son is 13 and Dentist said maybe leave it another year although in UK said they would have started this year. I am actually very happy with the level of treatment and support the othodontist is giving us and going elsewhere is not an issue if unhappy but of course at more expense in terms of initial consultancy fees.

It is worth looking at different health funds and seeing what they cover, lots of people on this site gave me advice about private health coverage and I did a lot of looking. The NIB is one I get through work, not great teeth coverage but then it is included in my contract.

My daughter is a little beyond wonky! The thing I would point out to new people is getting the health cover set up asap because of the waiting times required, 12 months for othodontic costs.

Cheers

tinaj Aug 13th 2003 7:56 am

Thanks for the advice on setting up a health plan early.

Do most of the plans include dental cover and is orthodontal treatment an extra or is it included in the dental cover section?

Do you have to pay for normal check-up for children as well?

Thanks for all the info.

DianeOZ Aug 13th 2003 7:59 am

You do have to pay for childrens check ups too although the school dentist has just checked my sons which was free.

Diane:rolleyes:

Jacqui Aug 13th 2003 11:41 am

Have been impressed by the school dentist so far, although luckily none of my children have problem teeth. They've all had thorough check-ups and a scale & polish, and this week had to go for emergency treatment for eldest daughter who fell off a scooter and chipped her front tooth. And it's all free!

janeyray Aug 13th 2003 3:00 pm

I just had to have a wisdom tooth out the other day (nice):scared:

It cost me $180 and I have to go back soon for another out. I don't like going to the dentist at the best of times but having to pay so much made it worse.!

tinaj Aug 13th 2003 3:45 pm

Originally posted by janeyray
I just had to have a wisdom tooth out the other day (nice):scared:

It cost me $180 and I have to go back soon for another out. I don't like going to the dentist at the best of times but having to pay so much made it worse.!

Jane you would have to pay for that over here as well! Husband went for a root filling last week and it cost £140!!

How much does it cost for a check up for adults or children.

janeyray Aug 14th 2003 1:56 am

Originally posted by tinaj
Jane you would have to pay for that over here as well! Husband went for a root filling last week and it cost £140!!

Yes I agree but the wages here are much less so making the cost here seem far more than in the UK, its a big chunk out of a tiny wage.:) Not sure how much a check up is though, I was told there was a 14 months waiting list for that dental practice so I will have to shop around!!

Sandra Aug 14th 2003 2:04 am

Different dentists charge different amounts obviously - we are currently paying $90 for kids per check up and clean and I paid $130. One filling for daughter cost $85 on top. For a family of four approximately $800 a year in check ups and can claim back normally 100% of this from private health fund - not this year for daughter as she will have exceeded 1500 max limit.

So on a postive note dental check ups and cleaning is a 100% recovery from my scheme - make me want to make sure I use this feature regularly!

Cheers Sandra

pommie bastard Aug 14th 2003 3:56 am

Thats cheap cost me wife $2000 here for two root filling jobs.