Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ormiston College - any experiences please?

Ormiston College - any experiences please?

Old Mar 17th 2006, 8:41 am
going "home" soon

RayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of light
Default Ormiston College - any experiences please?

Hi there,

We are keen to send our kids to Ormiston College (nr Cleveland), Brisbane as we have heard good reports.

I would be keen to hear from any parents who have sent their kids there and have any real experiences to share.

Thanks

Ray
Old Mar 17th 2006, 8:56 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Ormiston College - any experiences please?

Have a look at Ormiston College info.

It is one of our local top schools.

Old Mar 17th 2006, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by RayZor
Hi there,

We are keen to send our kids to Ormiston College (nr Cleveland), Brisbane as we have heard good reports.

I would be keen to hear from any parents who have sent their kids there and have any real experiences to share.

Thanks

Ray
We have enrolled are DD to start in Jan '08 we looked round in June last year and it looks really good with many subjects and a huge sports hall and pool, My nephew is there in prep year and loves it. The only thing I would say is you need around $500 - $700 per child for uniforms and bits and bobs.

Sorry I can't be more help
Old Mar 17th 2006, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

beach bound is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there
We have 2 children at Ormiston College. We arrived in January this year and so they have been to school for 2 months. So far, so good. They both enjoy it and the facilities are great. Our 2 are in years 1 and 3 - what age are your children? Both are ahead of their peers because of the difference in schooling start ages, with a very noticeable difference with our youngest. Happy to answer any questions I can about the school.
BB
Old Mar 17th 2006, 10:04 am
going "home" soon

RayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you.
Old Mar 17th 2006, 10:10 am
going "home" soon

Hi,

Our Daughter is 5 this June and already at school in UK. We are planning to come out in September (Wellington Point), so ideally we would want to start her in January 2007, which is when I understand the first year starts anyway so it looks like good timing, plus she will have a years head start in UK already.

Our boy is only two this October so looking to get him into the Pre-School or Kindy as they call it about the same time.

We have sent in the paperwork already as I understand there is a wait list, so not sure about second choices, I've heard Wellington Point Primary is good.

Welcome any feedback etc...and how they settled in and any pitfalls to watch-out for as this is going to be an emotional time of change for everyone...

Ray
Old Mar 17th 2006, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Our Daughter is 5 this June and already at school in UK. We are planning to come out in September (Wellington Point), so ideally we would want to start her in January 2007, which is when I understand the first year starts anyway so it looks like good timing, plus she will have a years head start in UK already.

Our boy is only two this October so looking to get him into the Pre-School or Kindy as they call it about the same time.

We have sent in the paperwork already as I understand there is a wait list, so not sure about second choices, I've heard Wellington Point Primary is good.

Welcome any feedback etc...and how they settled in and any pitfalls to watch-out for as this is going to be an emotional time of change for everyone...

Ray

When we came we couldn't get our daughter into Ormiston College so she goes to Wellington Point State School, but has a place at Ormiston for year 8 next year (first year high school). We have been pleased with Wellington Point in the time she has been there and she really enjoys going which is the main thing.
Old Mar 19th 2006, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

beach bound is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Ray
Hi Ray
Our son is 6 at the end of May and so if your daughter starts in Jan 07 she will be in exactly the same position as our son was this year. Our son had already spent 1 year in full-time education, plus 1 term of Year 1 (the autumn term before we came out). His peers have attended pre-school but this is more like nursery rather than reception. Speaking from our limited personal experience, you will find a big difference between abilities because of this extra UK school year, for example, in his class of 30 there are probably 4 who can read whereas all his previous classmates could read fairly fluently going into year 1. Don't let this worry you too much because they are used to this difference and so endeavour to provide extension work (without singling the child out as 'different' and so avoiding any social probs). We have also found that this difference is really only noticeable in maths and reading/writing. With the huge variety of other activities like music and sport and just the general way they develop the social and confidence side of the children being far greater here than you would find in the UK schooling system. We are very happy with progress so far and the growth in confidence in our children has been extraordinary.

They are changing the entry age here in Queenslad but I'm afraid I don't know the details. I do know that our son is one of the youngest in his class as I believe last year Ormiston used a cut-off of July - I think it used to be that Year 1 would be children who are 6 in the year running Jan to Dec but this has gradually changed and the school has been bringing back that cut-off month. I think that next year June will be the cut-off point (and that will remain so from then on) but as I say I'm not really sure and I may have got this completely wrong! Still, it sounds like your daughter would still be able to start Year 1 in Jan at Ormiston but you might want to check this and other schools cut-off points. I believe this is because they are introducing the extra 'prep' year into the Queensland schooling system (which I think is like UK reception year). Others on the forum may know more.

Cheers
BB
Old Mar 19th 2006, 2:10 am
ABCDiamond

The new QLD starting rules are:

To be eligible to enrol in Prep in 2007, a child must be born between 1 January 2002 and 30 June 2002.
The decision to take a six-month group of students in 2007 will help make the transition to the six-month increase in the starting age for Year 1 that is being introduced from 2008.

If your child is born in 2001 they will be eligible for preschool in 2006 and will start Year 1 in 2007.
However, some students born in 2001 may be able to attend Prep in 2007 if they are assessed and it's determined that they won't be ready to start Year 1 until 2008.

http://education.qld.gov.au/etrf/year1readiness.html
http://education.qld.gov.au/etrf/prep.html

From what I hear, the changes will have no effect to older children, in deciding which class they start in, as they will follow the rules in place at the time that particular agre group started school.

My daughter has a birthday at the end of May, and will 10 soon, and is in year 9 this year.
She is about the middle of the age group for the class. However, when she was in NSW, she was the youngest in the class, as NSW have different starting rules. Her best friend in NSW, almost the same age, is in year 8 this year.

Old Mar 20th 2006, 9:07 am
going "home" soon

thanks - very useful info.