Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

ormiston college

ormiston college

Old Apr 4th 2007, 2:08 am

london cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud of
Default ormiston college

Hi,
We will be arriving in brisbane hopefully the end of this year maybe jan next year and have been looking at ormiston college for our 13 year old son,the web site looks pretty impressive and ive been in contact with them and they said he could have a place.
Are there any parents out there with kids in ormiston who could tell me what its like and do your kids enjoy it there.
My son is currently in catholic school here in the uk but because the fees for private schools in australia are alot cheaper than here we thought we might go for private education when we get there.
Also what is the ormiston area like to live in.
Thanks ....Jamie
Old Apr 4th 2007, 5:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ormiston college

Originally Posted by london cabbie
Hi,
We will be arriving in brisbane hopefully the end of this year maybe jan next year and have been looking at ormiston college for our 13 year old son,the web site looks pretty impressive and ive been in contact with them and they said he could have a place.
Are there any parents out there with kids in ormiston who could tell me what its like and do your kids enjoy it there.
My son is currently in catholic school here in the uk but because the fees for private schools in australia are alot cheaper than here we thought we might go for private education when we get there.
Also what is the ormiston area like to live in.
Thanks ....Jamie
Do a search on "Ormiston College" and "Ormiston", and you'll find lots of people mention the school and the suburb. The school is highly regarded, and the suburb very nice if you like quite and leafy neighbourhood. We used to live in Ormiston and loved it there - close to the water (not a beach though) and not far from shops in Cleveland or restaurants/bars at Raby Bay.

Mrs JTL
Old Apr 4th 2007, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

paulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nice

We have looked into various schools in the area, only via web and we have been really impressed with the correspondence we have had with Ormiston College. They also have said there are places for both our sons who will be 10 and 8 years by January when we hope they will start the new school year. The website is so informative it has given the boys enthusiasm about going, although they're not too sure about the hats!!!
Old Apr 4th 2007, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

doub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud of

Hi,

Our kids both go to OC, Elliott is in grade 1 & Oliver grade 11. Although it seems a reasonable price to pay for private education, it seems a whole lot more when you are earning Aus$! It is one of the most expensive schools in the area (if not the most expensive) but you get what you pay for. We think it has really helped for our kids to go there, they seem happy, although they are pushed pretty hard, which may not suit some children.
There is also a reasonable social life between the parents, which is great for getting to know people and networking. (and no religous education)

Mark
Old Apr 4th 2007, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there
Well I live in Cleveland and my 14 year old daughter is at Ormiston and LOVES IT!!! She had a rough start at the local State High School and was badly bullied. That combined with being a hormonal teenager anyway made her really miserable. Shes now done a full term at Ormiston and is a changed person from what she was before. Even on her first day she came back positive and happy. If she was sitting on her own, other kids she didnt even know (male or female) would invite her to sit with them or join their group. I can honestly say I couldnt recommend it highly enough! Oh its also very academic and sports orientated. Any further info you need just PM me :-)
Kelly x
Old Apr 4th 2007, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

paulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nice

Originally Posted by kellyjs
Hi there
Well I live in Cleveland and my 14 year old daughter is at Ormiston and LOVES IT!!! She had a rough start at the local State High School and was badly bullied. That combined with being a hormonal teenager anyway made her really miserable. Shes now done a full term at Ormiston and is a changed person from what she was before. Even on her first day she came back positive and happy. If she was sitting on her own, other kids she didnt even know (male or female) would invite her to sit with them or join their group. I can honestly say I couldnt recommend it highly enough! Oh its also very academic and sports orientated. Any further info you need just PM me :-)
Kelly x
Glad to hear your daughter loves it at Ormiston, I think my boys will love it too, especially with the amount of sports they seem to do! I am going off the thread here, but could you tell me how long it takes to get into the city from the Ormiston area. Many thanks Paula;-)
Old Apr 4th 2007, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute

ormiston is on the direct train line from central (city) and takes just under an hour on the train, 30-40 by car :-)
Old Apr 4th 2007, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kellyjs
ormiston is on the direct train line from central (city) and takes just under an hour on the train, 30-40 by car :-)
Thanks for that, we should be in Brisbane now but the house sale fell through :-( if we cant sell we will rent it out and hope for the best. We cant wait to come.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

doub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud of

this is our boys on the first day of school this year they don't seem to mind those hats!
Attached Thumbnails ormiston college-pict1342small.jpg  
Old Apr 4th 2007, 11:05 am

london cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud of

Well thanks everyboby it really sounds like a good school ,i contacted them and they said there would be a place for him in january but we are not sure exactly when we would arrive and i want to give him some time out to settle in oz before going to school.
He wasnt too keen on the hats either! also although i want him to do well and be "pushed" i dont want it to blow his mind,i think starting a new life in a new country will be traumatic enough, its a hard one.

Good luck to everyboby out there ....Jamie
Old Apr 4th 2007, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by doub
this is our boys on the first day of school this year they don't seem to mind those hats!
They look great, what years are they in? We noticed many school kids in hats when we were at Perth zoo last year so they were aware of them. Do they were them all the time?
Old Apr 4th 2007, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

wow, they keep kids in the zoo in Perth! (sorry)
they are yr1 & yr11 (the eldest started in yr8) the little guy did prep last year. He really loves it at Ormiston - it's a great school!
Old Apr 4th 2007, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by doub
wow, they keep kids in the zoo in Perth! (sorry)
they are yr1 & yr11 (the eldest started in yr8) the little guy did prep last year. He really loves it at Ormiston - it's a great school!
HA ha ha, very funny.. I do so miss that good ol' English humour here in Spain, thanks for your replies, I'm sure my boys will love it too, they better do!!!