Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Origination of the word 'Pom' ?

Wikiposts

Origination of the word 'Pom' ?

Old Mar 27th 2005, 3:05 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all
Default Origination of the word 'Pom' ?

It's from the word 'Pomegranate which was given to us because of our red shinny faces!

True or false ? and if false, what is the truth ?

I've always wondered!
Old Mar 27th 2005, 3:10 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Origination of the word 'Pom' ?

Certainly more interesting than Prisoner of Her Majesty (POM), which is what I've always thought!

GG

Originally Posted by Jim2004
It's from the word 'Pomegranate which was given to us because of our red shinny faces!

True or false ? and if false, what is the truth ?

I've always wondered!
Old Mar 27th 2005, 3:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Kind of yes...
Though there's another reason behind it as well...

http://www.rsdb.org/?2
Old Mar 27th 2005, 3:13 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Bob,

Don't see you in here very often! Useful link though!

GG

Originally Posted by Bob
Kind of yes...

Old Mar 27th 2005, 3:21 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bob
Kind of yes...

Yeah I've heard allsorts inc the Prisoner of Her Majesty, but just came across the Pomegranate one and wondered what IS the right one.

Pom - British Comes from Pomegranite. When the very white English came to australia they would get sunburnt and their skin would go the colour of pomegranites.

Pome - British 'Property Of Mother England' Used in Australia, New Zealand, etc. Probably related to and/or another version of Pom.

(taken from Bob's link)

I guess the Pome is what I'd type as Pommy, altho obv wrong ...lol
Old Mar 27th 2005, 3:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George

Don't see you in here very often! Useful link though!
I'm pop around in random places
Old Mar 27th 2005, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Kind of yes...

From that site:
Scotch - Referring to a Scottish person as "Scotch" is offensive. Scots are said to be very frugal. Scotch tape (adhesive on only one side) got its name from this slur.

Is that true? I mean the bit about Scotch tape? Is that how it got its name?

Thats a great site Apparently I'm a Bog trotting thistle arse.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Mar 27th 2005, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

Ive heard, and believe, the word pom or pommy/pommie is taken from "prisoner of the motherland". Many years ago England was referred to as the motherland in Australia.

Andy.
Old Mar 27th 2005, 6:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
From that site:
Scotch - Referring to a Scottish person as "Scotch" is offensive. Scots are said to be very frugal. Scotch tape (adhesive on only one side) got its name from this slur.

Is that true? I mean the bit about Scotch tape? Is that how it got its name?

Thats a great site Apparently I'm a Bog trotting thistle arse.

Cheers,
JTL
Its true

See this: http://www.answerbag.com/a_view.php/7307

Here's 3M's official story on the origin of the "Scotch" brand name:

"Richard Drew had just invented the first masking tape designed to help auto painters to make two-tone paint applications, a Roaring '20s craze, neat and easy. Drew was eager to have the tape sampled by its intended customers.

He brought a prototype roll to a St. Paul auto painter. The painter carefully applied the masking tape along the edge of the color already painted and was just about to spray on the second color when the tape fell off. The annoyed painter examined the 2-inch wide tape and saw that it had adhesive only along its outer edges, but not in the middle.

Annoyed, the painter said to Drew, 'Take this tape back to those Scotch bosses of yours and tell them to put more adhesive on it!'"
Ya learn something new everyday,

Cheers,
JTL