Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

organising a wedding from oz for the uk?

organising a wedding from oz for the uk?

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

chelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to all
Default organising a wedding from oz for the uk?

Hi guys,

We have been in Sydney just over 3 weeks and we are planning on going back to the uk in Aug\Sept time to get married.

Has anyone else done this? Any hints and tips?

Its not going to be a big thing as neither of us want that, just a quick registry office "I do" and then on for a curry for the meal in one indians in oxford and then an eveining do for all our friends.

Any advice would be great.

Ta
Chelly

O in case anyone remembers my threat from just before Christmas, I'm afraid that my boyfriends father passed away 3 weeks before we came to OZ
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 6:06 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: organising a wedding from oz for the uk?

So sorry to hear about your FiL. Small comfort I know but at least you were still with him.

As to the wedding - I've done it the other way round and, if I can organise a wedding in a country I'd never visited, didn't have family in and didn't have residency rights for (Oz), I'd think it's a breeze to do it here for the UK.

Get the legal bit sorted; I did once get married in a reg office in the UK too but it's so long ago I can't remember the details, can't be too complicated can it? You register an "intention" to marry, or something like, similar to the banns for a church wedding. You may have to be in the country a certain length of time prior to the wedding (like you do if you go to, say, the Caribbean) but Google is your friend.

Get a good friend or family member to help you out with the parties, send some invitations (I'd do more than the traditional 8 weeks' notice if I were you, seeing as you're not around to chat to people about it), and forget about it until it's time to shop for your oufit.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

we organised our Uk wedding from Aus in 2002.

I'm afraid you might be disappointed if you want a couple of weeks and wedding included.
In about 2000, the law was changed to say registry offices need 21days notice of intention to marry and one of you has to be dwelling in the area. Supposedly to improve "family values".

We managed to get married in a church which was a hassle, but quicker surprisingly. H had to go back 15 clear days before our approval could be posted by the Archbish of Westminster.....this was to avoid being married by banns and meant we did not have to live in the parish (but needed connections to parish to be given permission to marry there....as I said lots of hassle).

you might be able to get married in Scotland, or here- both a lot easier.

Reception was easy in comparison! Found a hotel, got a friend to check if it was OK, booked it, organised menu, drinks, paid money....
I turned up the day before (I was working, H was not) with wedding dress and it was very stress free for me!
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light

Have a look here:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...ettingmarried/

Good luck and happy planning!
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

chelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to all

cheer's for all the replys guys.....its looks like its not going to be as simple as I firstg though, o well one more thing to add to my list