Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Organising shipping

Organising shipping

Old Sep 6th 2007, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Shoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to all
Default Organising shipping

Hi everyone,

Just a few questions regarding shipping our stuff over to Oz, as I am not sure when to arrange it etc.
We will be putting our house on the market in Feb 08, we are not wanting to take much to Oz with us, maybe some personal items and other bits and bobs. However I would prefer to have the house pretty empty of all or junk (personal stuff) prior to selling so we can get it decorated, it looks bigger, less cluttered etc...

How much notice do you have to give the shipping companies?

How long does the stuff take to get to Oz ?

If I start clearing the stuff out a bit now could I put in storage in the Uk and get the shipping company to pick it up from there ?

I'm just not sure when people start organising all this stuff, we have not got our visa yet so I don't want to be too premature arranging all this, but don't want to leave it to the last min either.

Any one had the same issues and what did they do ?
Any advice would be much apreciated

Cheers Shona
Old Sep 6th 2007, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Organising shipping

Originally Posted by Shoan and Rich
Hi everyone,

Just a few questions regarding shipping our stuff over to Oz, as I am not sure when to arrange it etc.
We will be putting our house on the market in Feb 08, we are not wanting to take much to Oz with us, maybe some personal items and other bits and bobs. However I would prefer to have the house pretty empty of all or junk (personal stuff) prior to selling so we can get it decorated, it looks bigger, less cluttered etc...

If I start clearing the stuff out a bit now could I put in storage in the Uk and get the shipping company to pick it up from there ?

I'm just not sure when people start organising all this stuff, we have not got our visa yet so I don't want to be too premature arranging all this, but don't want to leave it to the last min either.

Cheers Shona
Hi there we have our house on the market now and have had quote for shipping so as soon as house is sold and we have date to move out the shippers will come in within 3 weeks notice . like you we have de cluttered the house and cleared stuff away (in the garage) to make it look bigger.we are taking everything in our three bed semi so a little different from yourselfs good look with the visa .
Old Sep 6th 2007, 9:49 am
Emigrated 24/11/07

jellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Shoan and Rich
Hi everyone,

Cheers Shona
It depends on what exactly you intend to take - try http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/index.aspx they ship boxes of stuff, you could contact them via email and ask if they will collect from a storage facility.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 10:29 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

We had the shipping companies round for quotes at the same time as the house going on the market (once the house is de-cluttered ready for the estate agents, it's also ready for quotes from the shippers).

If you put stuff into storage AND expect the shippers to pick it up from there, it will cost extra (two pick-up locations).

We've put stuff into storage, but will have it brought back to the house by a local "man and van" before moving date.

Getting quotes can take quite a bit of time: some of the shippers I contacted took three weeks from my phone call before they could come out and give a quote.

As for how much notice they need of your actual moving date: It depends on the time of year. July/August is their busiest time, Jan/Feb is the quietest. So, in Jan/Feb you may get away with giving just a week's notice.

Gina
Old Sep 6th 2007, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

gamequeen88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jellibaby
It depends on what exactly you intend to take - try http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/index.aspx they ship boxes of stuff, you could contact them via email and ask if they will collect from a storage facility.
hope u good luck~~~

i think this link is useful