Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Organising a reckie, what to go see, do's & donts....

Organising a reckie, what to go see, do's & donts....

Old Mar 9th 2007, 8:45 am
Just Joined

Mrs MH is just really niceMrs MH is just really niceMrs MH is just really niceMrs MH is just really niceMrs MH is just really niceMrs MH is just really niceMrs MH is just really niceMrs MH is just really nice
Default Organising a reckie, what to go see, do's & donts....

Hi All
This question has probably been asked before, but i got fed up of trawling through my search...sorry...there is so much info and so little time...

Anyway, we are planning on coming out to the Perth area the last week in may first week in June for a little look around. (Probably not the best time weather wise but its the only time we could fit it in)
An agency is dealing with our Visa applications, but we are intending to come out on a business visa. we hope to set up a small construction business similar to the one we run here...

So my main questions are what do you try and look into on your reckie?
Houses - buying, renting....where do you even start? how do you know where to look?
Is it a good idea to meet up with people that run a similiar business out there? and if so is there anyone out there that does and would like to help?

I dont want to go out for a reckie and end up wasting two weeks by not planning properly, any advise would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Oh and my O.H. Chris is a massively keen mountain and road biker so if there is anyone out there than can give him some info on that he would be thrilled.

Thanks so much....

Mel
Old Mar 9th 2007, 8:48 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Organising a reckie, what to go see, do's & donts....

My top tips-
- spend the weekdays reccieing, and the weekends holidaying.
- Meet up with some other expats.
- Look round a few areas
- Do the commute from the areas you like to where you would work at the time you would be doing it for real.
- Take photos of everyday things, not tourist things.
- make the most of it. It will be too short.

Buzzy
Old Mar 9th 2007, 11:05 am

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mel,

We're in Perth on a business visa - have been here about 16 months now.

We came on a reccie with the three kids prior to the move and tried to do as much 'business' research as possible, but it's very difficult when you're on a fixed time schedule with kids in tow!

We did as Buzzy suggested and tried to keep the kids happy with the touristy things, as well as fit in as much research into places to live etc as we possibly could.

As far as construction goes, the far North and the far South are both booming (well, it is everywhere here, really ), so try and base yourself centrally and do lots of travelling up and down the freeway. If there's anything at all we can help with, just give us a shout.

Take care,

Jules x
Old Mar 9th 2007, 11:44 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs MH
Hi All
This question has probably been asked before, but i got fed up of trawling through my search...sorry...there is so much info and so little time...

Anyway, we are planning on coming out to the Perth area the last week in may first week in June for a little look around. (Probably not the best time weather wise but its the only time we could fit it in)
An agency is dealing with our Visa applications, but we are intending to come out on a business visa. we hope to set up a small construction business similar to the one we run here...

So my main questions are what do you try and look into on your reckie?
Houses - buying, renting....where do you even start? how do you know where to look?
Is it a good idea to meet up with people that run a similiar business out there? and if so is there anyone out there that does and would like to help?

I dont want to go out for a reckie and end up wasting two weeks by not planning properly, any advise would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Oh and my O.H. Chris is a massively keen mountain and road biker so if there is anyone out there than can give him some info on that he would be thrilled.

Thanks so much....

Mel

Start with a general idea.

Are you minted and going to want to be near the coast or brassic and want cheap (inland). Are you singles and want to be close to the city for the action or a family and be further out where it is a bit quieter. Once you answer those two you will have a couple of circles on the map - one north, one south. Think about your need to be in the city too - be close to the train line if you do.

Then get out of the city and spend your time in the burbs criss-crossing them, spending time in both day and night. You can do Scarborough Beach, Freo, Hiillarys etc and have a holiday but it won't be a lot like real life. Better still, call a meeting of ex-pats and pick their brains. My wife goes to one at Hillarys on Thursday lunch every week.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 11:49 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
My top tips-
- spend the weekdays reccieing, and the weekends holidaying.
- Meet up with some other expats.
- Look round a few areas
- Do the commute from the areas you like to where you would work at the time you would be doing it for real.
- Take photos of everyday things, not tourist things.
- make the most of it. It will be too short.

Buzzy
Sound advice

Try to do some of the things you will do after the move but definitely get a few touristy things in.

When we did our recce, we didn't hire a car but stayed in a hotel close to the city. We walked or got the train everywhere and it gave us a good idea of getting around.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 4:01 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

hi there ,i have just come back off my rekkie...i would say the first thing you should do before you even leave, as perth is massive...get a map and look at where you want to live ,by the sea,by the city,in the hills..or by where you are going to find employment...every area looked the same to me all with the same type houses so i feel its a case of finding an area that suits your needs..
if you have children there are sites that you can find school stats..

then if you have a an idea of areas then go and check them out..see if there for you..

when booking car hire make sure you have sat nav we found it fantastic,we would never of found our way around...
we planned our days if we were going somewhere i would travel round an area ,so that was one we had covered...

be careful of speeding its something that you have to get used to,the bloody fuzz is everywhere...if you get a car with cruise control ,,you can just sit on the motorway at a steady 100,if anyone wants to come passed you just let them undertake you,its legal in oz...

estate agents,dont be frightened to tell a few little porkies to get them to show you a house or two..some of them are more than willing to spend an afternoon with you showing you a few of their property if they think you might come back to them...

and last but not least,have a holiday,,,we tried not to, and keep it real,but as everything you do seems to be holiday,you can not help it..,,,

things to see.
kings park,
penguin island,dont get the ferry walk to the island,across the sand bank its fantastic..
secrete harbour beach.
sea life center ,at hillaries.
freeo market on sunday..its graet.
cisserellos,fish and chips...
mandurah.
as many beaches as you can..
if you go to rockingham at nine oclock at night,there is a dolphin that come to the jetty every night..
cottesloe beach sunday...
go to the outside cinema,dont forget to take a picnic and something to sit on.
the ferry from perth to freeo,,,
rotness..

try a nice big bowl of chille muscles at the lucky shag bar in perth...yummmmmm

have a great time..
aston

Last edited by aston man; Mar 9th 2007 at 5:26 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

Joolz will become famous soon enough

heh! I got a photo of the Lucky Shag when I was over in Perth for a wedding!