Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Organic eating in Oz

Organic eating in Oz

Old Jan 20th 2008, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

m4t_lee has a brilliant futurem4t_lee has a brilliant futurem4t_lee has a brilliant futurem4t_lee has a brilliant futurem4t_lee has a brilliant futurem4t_lee has a brilliant futurem4t_lee has a brilliant future
Default Organic eating in Oz

Bit of a random post maybe but having not been to oz, is organic food easy to come by and how do the costs compare to the uk?

Are there health food shops (i'm sure there are) and are they again comapable price wise to the uk

TIA,

Mat
Old Jan 20th 2008, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Organic eating in Oz

Cant help with the cost but you can get organic food delivered to your door right from the farm. Plus there are lots of farmers markets. When I was there the cost was very little compared to what we paid in Ireland but that may have changed in the last number of years.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Generally a bit more expensive if you buy it in the shops but you can bring the price down to almost nothing by growing stuff yourself or hitting one of the farmers markets. Organic meat is always going to cost more but the big stores are beginning to have a range of organic meats these days and if the demand is there, the price may go down.

We have a big vegie garden and chooks in suburban Canberra so it can be done.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

dshole will become famous soon enoughdshole will become famous soon enough

We try to only eat organic, and we spend about 200$ per week for the 2 of us and our 14mth old.

We shop at Prahran market in Melbourne, there are several organic grocers and an excellent organic butcher.

The supermarkets seem to be very poor when it comes to organics.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

Rob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by m4t_lee
Bit of a random post maybe but having not been to oz, is organic food easy to come by and how do the costs compare to the uk?

Are there health food shops (i'm sure there are) and are they again comapable price wise to the uk

TIA,

Mat
Not sure what area you are considering, but here in WA organic food availability is decidedly patchy. Before we moved to Oz our diet was practically all organic but that has changed drastically since coming to WA. Over east availability was reasonable, and that was two years ago, but I still struggle to find organic in Port Kennedy. There is an excellent shop down in Malibu that has a good organic range and it's growing all the time, but I still can't find things like organic cheese and organic chicken. Prices are unpredictable - some organic produce is actually cheaper than agri-farmed, other items more expensive. Depends how important organic is to you. I do think that the consumer drive for organic foodstuffs is increasing the supply, but I've been told it may take a few years yet to make organic commonplace.

There are some quite good health food shops around - depending on what you're looking for. I would say that generally speaking, prices are comparable with the UK, but it's swings and roundabouts, as with everything.

r12p
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

I'd agree with Rob. Not much choice in Perth but moving over to QLD there is a huge range. Probably would be the same the rest of the East Coast ?
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm interested to know what inspectorate exists in Australia to check the validitiy of claims to be organic. Given the temptation to rip-ff consumers with organic claims for non-organic produce there must be some safeguard.

Anyone know?