British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Organ donation? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/organ-donation-321628/)

bridiej Aug 23rd 2005 7:18 am

Organ donation?

I dont carry a card in the Uk, it's one of those "I'll get around to it" things that I've never got around to....

I wondered if they have cards in Oz, or what the system is?

Or are my organs no good cos I'm from the UK and might have mad cow disease? (mad, moi?!)

Wave the Sails Aug 23rd 2005 7:19 am

Re: Organ donation?

Originally Posted by bridiej
I dont carry a card in the Uk, it's one of those "I'll get around to it" things that I've never got around to....

Or are my organs no good cos I'm from the UK and might have mad cow disease? (mad, moi?!)

Hi there,

You can get the application (?!) form from any Medicare Office.

HTH
Mrs J

Muzza04 Aug 23rd 2005 7:20 am

Yep that's right....cant give blood here for 10 years ( i think) coz of mad cows.

applicable to UK peeps

marco121068 Aug 23rd 2005 7:24 am

Now you knew a reply would be too tempting didn't you? :D BUT - I've restrained myself.

Anyway - while you're still in the UK you can register HERE . You don't even have to leave your desk.

coxfamuk Aug 23rd 2005 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Muzza04
Yep that's right....cant give blood here for 10 years ( i think) coz of mad cows.

applicable to UK peeps

Is this really true. My husband has been donating blood for years (over 100 pints so far). Surely there is a screening test they can do to rule out any disease. For God's sake, we came from South African (the home of HIV) and all they did here in the UK was test him and let him donate!!

bridiej Aug 23rd 2005 7:28 am

Originally Posted by marco121068
You don't even have to leave your desk.

Yee know me toooooo well! :rolleyes:

Well, that's me signed up then, thanks for that! :)

Will have to sign up as soon as get to Oz I think, otherwise will never get round to it there either....!

wargod Aug 23rd 2005 7:29 am

What organs you offering?? If/when i get the visa grant i might be in the market for a new liver:D:D:D:D

Muzza04 Aug 23rd 2005 7:30 am

Originally Posted by coxfamuk
Is this really true. My husband has been donating blood for years (over 100 pints so far). Surely there is a screening test they can do to rule out any disease. For God's sake, we came from South African (the home of HIV) and all they did here in the UK was test him and let him donate!!

yep, if you lived in uk between 1980 and 1996.

http://www.donateblood.com.au/Donor/guide/eligible.asp

bridiej Aug 23rd 2005 7:31 am

Originally Posted by wargod
What organs you offering?? If/when i get the visa grant i might be in the market for a new liver:D:D:D:D

LOL! :D

I've signed up for everything except the corneas, I have this wierd thing about eyes and I just dont like the idea of someone looking through mine - probably totally ridiculous but there you go! :o

Heathertoes Aug 23rd 2005 7:35 am

Anyway - while you're still in the UK you can register HERE . You don't even have to leave your desk.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting this - I have carried a card for yonks and had just never got round to finding the web site.
:)
Heather

Anastasia Beaverhausen Aug 23rd 2005 8:34 am

I've signed up for everything except the corneas, I have this wierd thing about eyes and I just dont like the idea of someone looking through mine - probably totally ridiculous but there you go! :o

How spooky, hubby and I were talking about this last night, and I said everything but my eyes :eek:

bridiej Aug 23rd 2005 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Anastasia Beaverhausen
How spooky, hubby and I were talking about this last night, and I said everything but my eyes :eek:

:eek:

renth Aug 23rd 2005 8:44 am

:eek:

You have it on your drivers licence here in WA.

I carry a doner card - I want someone to have my kebab after I die - BOOM BOOM!

steve99 Aug 23rd 2005 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Anastasia Beaverhausen

You were watching that Greys Anatomy I bet :)

bridiej Aug 23rd 2005 8:47 am

Originally Posted by renth
You have it on your drivers licence here in WA.

I carry a doner card - I want someone to have my kebab after I die - BOOM BOOM!